Pages:
Author

Topic: The problem of 51% attacking alt-chains - page 2. (Read 2669 times)

legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020
You trolls sure do like your misinformation and propaganda.

Care to expound upon that a little bit?
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
July 26, 2012, 02:11:07 AM
You trolls sure do like your misinformation and propaganda.
Activity: 632
Merit: 500
July 26, 2012, 02:09:10 AM
I completely agree with the joint.

How can you succeed if you can't experiment and fail? Destroying somebody else work is not failing, it's destroying somebody else work. Bitcoin is not the first virtual currency, and certainly not the last. But it took many failure before Bitcoin could be created. And it took some time before Bitcoin became a respectable currency. If some asshole went to launch a 51% attack 1 year after the launch of Bitcoin, we're probably not here talking at how great crypto-currency is.

Alt-chains is a great lab for experimentation, we don't know if another successful crypto-currency can be made. But if the only thing you do is u destroy the lab every time, we already know the answer to alt-chains. Can't believe some people are so afraid of seeing another successful crypto-currency. It feels like when the church went after Galileo, because the earth was round...
vip
Activity: 980
Merit: 1001
July 26, 2012, 02:05:57 AM
It appears that Litecoin is only being defended by angry forum posts.

I guess if you are only looking in the forum...
oh wait look further....
here is an example
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/protecting-ltc-by-bringing-extra-hashing-power-in-95368

My point exactly. 1 post in the newbie forum...
How about some organized resistance?

let me highlight the bit you ignored
there is a hell of a lot more to cryptocurrencies than the bitcointalk forums and btc-e shoutbox
legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000
July 26, 2012, 02:00:24 AM

oh wait look further....
here is an example
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/protecting-ltc-by-bringing-extra-hashing-power-in-95368

My point exactly. 1 post in the newbie forum...
How about some organized resistance?
vip
July 26, 2012, 01:54:02 AM

oh wait look further....
here is an example

legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000
July 26, 2012, 01:50:53 AM
It had some potential. At the very least it could have demonstrated how a block chain could recover from a 51% attack.
But it seems the LTC user community cannot organize a response, let alone a defense.

Cryptocurrencies will never be stronger than the people who participate in them and their willingness to exchange things outside the block-chain for things inside them.
vip
July 26, 2012, 01:34:26 AM
thank you, I was going to start a similar thread, then realised I cbf.

Religious extremists with the "god given right" to identify and destroy anything they don't like by labelling it a "scam" whether it is or not..

Schoolyard bullies usually grow out of destroying things on a "challenge" or a dare...
Some never grow up, then oneday they find that their actions bring them some grief.....

So neither of them will understand what we write - even if they take the time to read
sigh

Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Wat
July 26, 2012, 01:26:40 AM
The problem with bitcoin is the same one with democracy. Only instead of buying 51% of the vote you can buy 51% of the hashing.

I only hope these two never get access to ASIC's.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020
July 26, 2012, 01:20:00 AM
It seems we have a couple of people on this forum with Messiah Complexes.  Namely, this couple believes that certain alt-coins (and/or their users/creators) are sub-par, and due to this opinion, they feel compelled to eliminate them.

And here, we have a microcosmic example of the worst of humanity unfolding before our eyes.

Welcome to the self-vs.-other paradigm, the driving force behind every war in the history of mankind, and the reason that things like nationalism, racism, sexism, ageism, etc. exist in the first place.

All I can say is this -- when people attempt to 51% attack Bitcoin (or attack it in some other way, directly or indirectly), the actions this couple has taken toward certain alt-coins will have encouraged this to happen.  Only the sub-par in you can identify the sub-par in something else; only the scam in you can identify the scam in something else.  You are setting the tone for the future of the cryptocurrency/free-market revolution -- a bunch of jealous babies can't cope with new ideas.  Threatened much?  By the way, the way that this couple feels about these alt-chains is very much how a lot of Bitcoin skeptics feel about Bitcoin.

Please tell me why you feel so powerful behind a computer when you know that you're a pussy each and every morning that you look at yourself in the mirror.  Nerds/hackers with computers are like gangsters with guns.

Disclaimer:  Yeah, I hated/hate solidcoin, but I never attempted to destroy the damn thing!  
Pages:
Jump to: