Pages:
Author

Topic: The purpose of life and the goal of a perfect society - page 3. (Read 6828 times)

donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007
Poor impulse control.
5 BTC. Bet. Wager.
Before humanity. Mankind.
Finds extraterrestrial, sentient life. Smart aliens.
Humanity. Mankind.
Will be able to either destroy entire planets (world bye-bye), or entirely wipe out said aliens. Extinct ET.

That's not a haiku.
Needs fewer consonants, nim.
Otherwise it's nice.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
5 BTC. Bet. Wager.
Humanity. Mankind.
Will be able to either destroy entire planets (world bye-bye), or entirely wipe out said aliens. Extinct ET.

Yes or no? I'd prefer not to use escrow as the time value of my btc is quite high.

You managed to find an even more confusing order, but though I was able to figure out what you're saying, your point is moot. Are we going to be able to wipe out ALL life in the universe? That's the only way MAD will work.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
0xFB0D8D1534241423
5 BTC. Bet. Wager.
Humanity. Mankind.

Yes or no? I'd prefer not to use escrow as the time value of my btc is quite high.
It appears my response to you was lost (I'm on my phone). I wanted to wager 5 BTC that we'd be able to destroy planets or planet-inhabitants before we find sentient life.

I have no idea what that even means. All the words are in English, but the order they're in makes no sense, at least not in the context of the discussion.
0xFB0D8D1534241423
Me? hwat.

So, we're agreed, then, that being peaceful at first, and only fighting if attacked is the way to go?
So we're agreed, then, 5 BTC?

Hwat? He called me an isolationist. How in the world does my bewildered response of one word translate into agreement?

I'll agree on the "peaceful at first" part.

Well, you quoted my response in the message, along with his, so I assumed it was a response to both.

Why won't you agree on the "only fight if we're attacked" part? Didn't we just go over how badly it would end if we attacked unprovoked? (No, saying, "Go away" is not provocation)
It appears my response to you was lost (I'm on my phone). I wanted to wager 5 BTC that we'd be able to destroy planets or planet-inhabitants before we find sentient life.
legendary
Activity: 1330
Me? hwat.

So, we're agreed, then, that being peaceful at first, and only fighting if attacked is the way to go?

Hwat? He called me an isolationist. How in the world does my bewildered response of one word translate into agreement?

Well, you quoted my response in the message, along with his, so I assumed it was a response to both.

Why won't you agree on the "only fight if we're attacked" part? Didn't we just go over how badly it would end if we attacked unprovoked? (No, saying, "Go away" is not provocation)
0xFB0D8D1534241423
Me? hwat.

Me? hwat.

0xFB0D8D1534241423
Mutually Assured Destruction? Remember the Cold War? Those drills where they made us get under our desk, the "Duck and Cover" videos, the doom clock, etc

Are you an idiot? Do you actually think that a half-dozen space-faring civilizations can be wiped out simultaneously by one? it's not like we'll have nova-producing bombs pointed at every sun.
Hey, maybe they open their doors to trade before we completely destroy them. Matthew Perry?

Could you be any more isolationist?
Me? hwat.
legendary
Activity: 1330
Hey, maybe they open their doors to trade before we completely destroy them. Matthew Perry?

Could you be any more isolationist?
Mutually Assured Destruction? Remember the Cold War? Those drills where they made us get under our desk, the "Duck and Cover" videos, the doom clock, etc

Are you an idiot? Do you actually think that a half-dozen space-faring civilizations can be wiped out simultaneously by one? it's not like we'll have nova-producing bombs pointed at every sun.
0xFB0D8D1534241423
If they're strong enough to do that, we just wave MAD in their face.

...and that is...?
0xFB0D8D1534241423
If they're strong enough to do that, we just wave MAD in their face.
It'll look like they better open their goddamn doors Grin

Or maybe team up and wipe the new bully off the starcharts?
0xFB0D8D1534241423
It'll look like they better open their goddamn doors Grin

Well, that was a non sequitur.

Fine, I'll modify my question:

If we make friends with a few other civs, then destroy attack one because it wouldn't trade, how is that going to look to the others?

For that matter, what if that's the first one we meet, how will that look on our track record to the next one?
0xFB0D8D1534241423
Or do we take the advice of the Peace/war game, and offer friendship first?
Sure, we offer friendship first. When they refuse, we rape them, take their wealth, and propagandize back home.

OK, let's bring this back home. If your neighbor doesn't want to talk to you, does that make it OK to shoot him and take his house? Even if you say to your other neighbors, "He was mean, he didn't want to talk to me!"?

Don't forget, that we may not be the baddest asses on the block. If we make friends with a few other civs, then destroy one because it wouldn't trade, how is that going to look to the others?
Pages:
Jump to: