Pages:
Author

Topic: The real bitcoin killer app is already here - page 2. (Read 3061 times)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250
wouldn't many people go bankrupt/default on their loans if they take a loan in bitcoins?

how are they going to pay when they borrowed a bitcoin and suddenly the bitcoin is worth 10 times more?

Instead of explaining this.

Create a BitFinex account.

Load up some bitcoins.

Loan out some bitcoins.

Get paid.

I made about 1 BTC earlier this year over the course of about 2-3 weeks loaning bitcoins on BitFinex (while the price was falling).

I just signed up and sent about .4 in. How much would you recommend lending to get a return like yours?
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
Why should I "trust" bitfinex?

Can't this be "decentralized"?
Activity: 121
Merit: 1
The World’s First Blockchain Core
The companies mentioned are offering rates from 5% to 8% a year APR

but on bitfenix people are lending at that rate per 30 days.  its peer to peer.
Activity: 155
Merit: 100
The companies mentioned are offering rates from 5% to 8% a year APR

What is the current rate right now?
500%+ year over year.

I've held for about 9 months. In that time BTC went from ~150 to ~650

I think they were asking what the current rate of interest the companies are offering, no?
Activity: 490
Merit: 280
500%+ year over year.

I think they were asking what the current rate of interest the companies are offering, no?

Of course one ought to try this out with money one can afford to lose and thus encourage the platforms that are doing this. The answer to the question about getting paid back is most of the loans appear to be short term (though I have no knowledge, no liability, am not giving advice etc etc etc).... But I am talking about examining their model and that of others with an open mind. Because the ability to earn interest on a non-inflationary currency is something people will pay for. It is the classic "good money" (bitcoin) takes out bad money (fiat) scenario which leads to a rise in price and use of the "good" currency.

It is our job as a community to properly vet the companies that are trying to provide interest, encourage them, give them feedback if they need to modify, spread the news if there is one doing it in an unsafe way, and so on.

Right now with rates in the 5% to 8% range, they don't come off as scams. I would use caution, but these companies do look more legit than many of the first batch who were offering unreal interest rates trying to scam people. Also some of them are also exchanges which would perhaps imply they have reserves...

Thoughts? How do we encourage the growth of the bitcoin interest rate economy?

wouldn't many people go bankrupt/default on their loans if they take a loan in bitcoins?

how are they going to pay when they borrowed a bitcoin and suddenly the bitcoin is worth 10 times more?

Load up some bitcoins.

Loan out some bitcoins.

Get paid.

I made about 1 BTC earlier this year over the course of about 2-3 weeks loaning bitcoins on BitFinex (while the price was falling).
Activity: 784
https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU
500%+ year over year.

Activity: 196
Is this really an idea or what people have been doing since day 1.
maybe i dont understand the idea.
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas

Load up some bitcoins.

Loan out some bitcoins.

Get paid.

legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

Activity: 472
Gamblica Pre-Sale launch 01.03.2018!
Killer is coming!!!
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
Great thread...OP talks about marketing the fact that you can earn interest on a currency that is not inflationary and it is followed by half the posts talking about how it cannot be done.

It is being done people.

Welcome to Bitcoin, have a look around.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
★☆★Bitin.io★☆★
I like the idea a lot. Even a low rate of growth would beat just sitting in my wallet. Indepedent audits mentioned above are a good idea. Trust has to be earned in the bitcoin universe though and after reading these forums for a couple of weeks I don't give it out lightly.
legendary
Activity: 1526
the grandpa of cryptos
while i love BTC i have to say.. BTC was first cryptocurrency and didnt understand everything.

would you rather ride 1st care ever made or run any of todays cars? if BTC doesnt adop to changes/ideas it will die sooner or later
legendary
Activity: 1596
lending the bitcoin out to margin traders is risky investment. The traders would take as much as risk as his margin account is allowed. Until the last moment, the traders can't afford to pay back. How would the companies offering such service secure the  interest payment without risking the capital?
Activity: 140
Good point, although Huobi's trade volumn is fake number.
You missed the point completely but maybe I didn't articulate it well enough. The idea is that bitcoin is more suitable to earning real interest because unlike other currencies, central banks can't just print away and devalue the currency while you earn interest on it. Yes you can earn interest on other currencies, but if you lose the same amount of purchasing power that you earn in interest, the net result is 0 and thus discourages saving. With bitcoin you have a finite supply thus interest earned is more real....

(unless BTC crashes and never catches on which, while possible, is looking less likely these days)

I don't see what this has to do with finite supply or with  bitcoing in general.
It's just people lending each other some currency for an interest, and some trading platforms
facilitating this. FOr example, bitfinex offers the exact  same service for USD accounts.

Activity: 333
Merit: 252
I don't see what this has to do with finite supply or with  bitcoing in general.
It's just people lending each other some currency for an interest, and some trading platforms
facilitating this. FOr example, bitfinex offers the exact  same service for USD accounts.
Activity: 174
The thing to do would be maybe to create an entity that will vet and perhaps even ensure certain of these platformsn exchange for a fee from the entity . The entity ought to be backed by VC money, which would have an interest in spreading bitcoin use. And all parties would be subject to reserve wallet audit via the blockchain and other methods. Win-win for everyone.

Kind of like what Andreas A. did with bitstamp , but more formal, with a set audit methodology that applies to every participant and so on.
Pages:
Jump to: