Pages:
Author

Topic: The Rise and Fall of ICOs: Lessons Learned - page 3. (Read 364 times)

legendary
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1270
Play Poker on Telegram
January 16, 2024, 05:31:13 AM
I think the most important lesson to be learnt from the fall of ICO's and other fundraising/crowdfunding schemes is that whatsoever that lacks utility/use cases can only last for a short term. With schemes like this there'd be a few people who would make ROI from it, but the majority will get burnt; it is a rinse and repeat process. People still invest in new projects and engage in "rebranded" forms of ICO, so it is never going away and even those who have lost so much on it still jump on the next one that is launched.
legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 1225
Once a man, twice a child!
January 16, 2024, 05:21:11 AM
Share your war stories, victories, and facepalms. What lessons did you learn from the ICO rollercoaster?
Oh, yeah! This is taking me through memory lane remembering those glorious (and later sad) days of ICOs. I was a noob that year, 2017. How I felt every ICO I managed to get into was the hidden treasure. Now I know better. It was a year that saw a preponderance of lending coins birthed through ICOs. Well, even with mixed feelings looking back now (of how I could've saved myself), I still want to take the lessons learned from all that. We've a modern version of ICOs now as IDOs. Yes, some people may argue that there's a difference as the latter is done on Dexs but my point is that there's no guarantee that an IDO will also make you money too. For an investor, what matters is ROI.

Anyway, to be honest, I've profited more from IDOs than I did with ICOs. Most times what I do with IDOs is wait for a dump after listing if I can't get an allocation because of the tier I'm on. Of course, experience has taught me that projects always dump after listing. Yes, they surely do. Just wait for that dump moment (most times, below listing price). Do this too for any project with a hype. Once you aren't fast to get in before listing, don't rush and buy once it's listed. Give it time (days and some times even weeks) to dump well.
Activity: 448
Merit: 271
January 16, 2024, 04:46:20 AM
I was never a part of any ICOs back in those days. I had heard a lot about them as many good crypto were launched through initial coin offering. Some are still preferring the ICO process but hardly get any success due to it bad reputation. Today most investors prefer IEO or IDO for early investment into a new project. The reason is that scam can be avoided and delay in listing is also avoided.
Activity: 714
Merit: 168
January 16, 2024, 03:50:54 AM
i have never had the experience of joining an ico program before, but from several threads i read that in 2018, quite a lot of crypto projects launched ico programs and quite a lot of people joined the program. at that time, many people made high profits just by investing in an ico program or joining a campaign, but many also lost money because many campaigns ended up being scams and taking away the investors' money.

maybe because there were so many programs that were scams and the drop in the value of these altcoins along with the fall in the price of bitcoin, caused investor confidence to drop drastically and in the end this ico trend did not continue until now.

this is quite unfortunate because from what i saw, this ico program was quite a good thing because at that time quite a lot of people believed in crypto projects. but because of the increasing number of scammers, developers who are running away, and investors who are starting to withdraw, ico programs are no longer attractive, in fact no one trusts ico programs anymore.

hopefully we can repeat this trend, but on a more trusted platform so that it will prevent scammers and increase investor confidence.
Activity: 56
Merit: 3
January 16, 2024, 03:27:52 AM
Hey crypto mates! Let's take a stroll down memory lane and chat about the wild ride of ICOs – the good, the bad, and the "what-were-we-thinking" moments. Remember those ICO mania days when every token seemed like a golden ticket? Fast forward to Reality Check City.

Share your war stories, victories, and facepalms. What lessons did you learn from the ICO rollercoaster? Maybe your crystal ball predicted the next big thing, or perhaps you've got scars to prove otherwise. No shame, we've all been there!
Pages:
Jump to: