Pages:
Author

Topic: The US Govt stole your coins - not MtGox - page 3. (Read 7053 times)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10
Do you find it to be a coincidence
right after MtGox file for bankruptcy an article came out to regulate bitcoin?
http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/02/26/japan-studies-regulation-of-bitcoin-after-mt-gox-goes-dark/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

Mx. Gox was an embarrassment to the Japanese. If BTC-E closed overnight there would be an equal number of newspaper editors writing about how Bitcoin needed to be regulated. It's not a coincidence, it's the usual media flood of article on how to fix things.

It is possible the NSA did this all for sake of trying to get regulations in place but c'mon... some people also believe the government blew up the Twin Towers.

legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1000
Do you find it to be a coincidence
right after MtGox file for bankruptcy an article came out to regulate bitcoin?
http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/02/26/japan-studies-regulation-of-bitcoin-after-mt-gox-goes-dark/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
Knowledge is Power
Idiotic theory. Steal from Gox yet leave every other exchange alone.

Put your tin foil hats back on.

*IF* the government is indeed involved...It's NOT stealing. It's a criminal investigation linked to Silk Road, which is why Gox in particular is involved. They didn't "steal" the coins, they're holding them in storage under their control because Gox's bitcoins are incriminated.
Activity: 378
Idiotic theory. Steal from Gox yet leave every other exchange alone.

Put your tin foil hats back on.
Gox has been around a long time.
If the cold storage wallet was generated in the early days before bitcoin had much value it may not have been protected very well.

What would be idiotic is thinking the thief would be able to compromise wallet.dat files from multiple exchanges.

Activity: 280
Knowledge is Power
Honestly I'm leaning towards this theory too. Only one difference they didn't "steal" them, they're holding them in storage because of how Gox is supposedly linked to Silk Road. Or something...This also explains why Mark and Gox are not telling us a whole lot about what the hell is going on, and why they've been lying - they're under gag order so they can't say anything substantial. In any case, we should be getting more details on this topic daily so the truth will hopefully come out.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393
You lead and I'll watch you walk away.
March 01, 2014, 12:33:03 AM
Activity: 378
March 01, 2014, 12:30:31 AM
What if the thief made a copy of his cold storage wallet.dat file early on, maybe before it was cold storage.
He thinks the coins are safe but some one moves them a year or 2 later.
When he sinks his cold storage he finds the coins are all transferred out.
Activity: 784
DIA | Data infrastructure for DeFi
March 01, 2014, 12:30:12 AM
Seeing as how not anyone on this forum has provided ANY evidence that proves otherwise, I'm sticking with this as a far more likely theory.

Gox has been watched by the US govt for years now. If you were being pressured to conform to regulations, then had an account shut down by DHS, would you try to steal ALL the coins out of your cold storage wallet for everyone to see?

No mention by the "experts" or general media of the transaction that started to disperse the cold wallet funds: https://blockchain.info/tx/478ea915aa3a2e54503c43e1c5659722b42a784412423a05394c83a44affb805. It would be a simple matter for the Feds to ask Karpeles why these transactions were made. We would already be hearing about it if they were. With so much heat, I simply cannot believe that Karpeles would try to steal hundreds of millions in broad daylight.

Many will say it was incompetence. I don't buy that either. Transaction malleability doesn't explain how a cold wallet just starts dividing up coins. No one hacked the coins. They were moved by someone with the private keys, and maybe, that person had a gun to their head.

To think that you can replace an entire monetary empire without these kinds of black ops being waged is completely ridiculous. The mainstream media story completely fits with the governments MO of "problem, reaction, solution" - there's a reason for that, and its not a coincidence.

I agree.  How naive to think that BIG BOTHER hasn't put his hands in this honey pot.
Activity: 271
March 01, 2014, 12:23:20 AM
I have no evidence, but GOVERNMENT!!!
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1004
February 28, 2014, 11:26:12 PM
I don't buy the theft-over-years-that-no-one-noticed explanation either. Or transaction malleability in any way adding up to hundreds of thousands of bitcoin, even with Gox's terrible accounting.

But what about the lost-the-private-keys possibility?: http://letstalkbitcoin.com/somethings-not-right-at-gox/

From the above:

There are any number of different reasons why the coldest-cold wallet’s keys are wrong/missing/corrupted. Perhaps there is a problem with the elliptic curve in the PHP custom wallet software.

There is good reason to believe that whatever cold-storage solution MtGox has developed that there are wallets which may have not been tested for months or years. Very few coins would be required to be in first stage cold or hot wallets in order to run the operation.

There is good reason to believe that Mark can fuck up essential code. Depending on the nature of the theoretical wallet bug, it is possible that early tests of public/private pairs were successful, and only later did the wallet software begin producing incorrect private keys.

If MtGox was watching the public addresses of their coldest-cold wallets then they would have had no reason to be concerned, and accounting would have balanced right up until the end.
legendary
Activity: 4690
Merit: 1276
February 28, 2014, 11:15:34 PM

Some approximation of this hypothesis stands as my most powerful one as well, and has for some time.  We'll see I guess.

legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040
A Great Time to Start Something!
February 28, 2014, 11:15:23 PM
I want to know more, are we there yet?
Activity: 266
February 28, 2014, 11:13:38 PM
yes agreed. there is morethan simple hack here.
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003
February 28, 2014, 11:11:48 PM
Seeing as how not anyone on this forum has provided ANY evidence that proves otherwise, I'm sticking with this as a far more likely theory.

Gox has been watched by the US govt for years now. If you were being pressured to conform to regulations, then had an account shut down by DHS, would you try to steal ALL the coins out of your cold storage wallet for everyone to see?

No mention by the "experts" or general media of the transaction that started to disperse the cold wallet funds: https://blockchain.info/tx/478ea915aa3a2e54503c43e1c5659722b42a784412423a05394c83a44affb805. It would be a simple matter for the Feds to ask Karpeles why these transactions were made. We would already be hearing about it if they were. With so much heat, I simply cannot believe that Karpeles would try to steal hundreds of millions in broad daylight.

Many will say it was incompetence. I don't buy that either. Transaction malleability doesn't explain how a cold wallet just starts dividing up coins. No one hacked the coins. They were moved by someone with the private keys, and maybe, that person had a gun to their head.

To think that you can replace an entire monetary empire without these kinds of black ops being waged is completely ridiculous. The mainstream media story completely fits with the governments MO of "problem, reaction, solution" - there's a reason for that, and its not a coincidence.
Pages:
Jump to: