Pages:
Author

Topic: The "you cant kill Bitcoin argument" - page 4. (Read 6489 times)

Activity: 994
Merit: 507
October 08, 2014, 05:11:53 AM
In some ways as long as there are programmers who believe in bitcoin it will continue to evolve resisting any attacks that come. I really can't think of a scenario where bitcoin completely stops. Even if the price crashed to near zero and the difficulty was too high for amateur mining, a simple code fix and everything keeps going from where it left off.
Activity: 812
Merit: 1022
No Maps for These Territories
October 08, 2014, 03:38:56 AM
Although it makes things more difficult, you don't really need the P2P protocol. You can send block and transaction data over *any* medium. Some suggestions I've heard are to post them (at least the block headers + links) on forums, in pastebins, or host http servers that serve the data yourself. Other ways of transferring would be though faux-video streams in video chat services. Or given absence of the internet, even broadcasting the block chain through radio. Possibly using a satellite (see http://www.coindesk.com/jeff-garzik-announces-partnership-launch-bitcoin-satellites-space/). Or indeed, mesh networks.

Of course a client would have to be written that can collect the data this way, but it is no technical barrier.

I wouldn't say it is impossible to kill politically, i mean given global North-Korea levels of tyranny, like taking away all technology from the common people, could of course foil bitcoin pretty much. But if that happens we'll have other things to worry about than bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
100 satoshis -> ISO code
October 08, 2014, 12:17:47 AM
Firechat shows the power of mesh networks. The potential of mesh networking for Bitcoin message transmission has been mentioned before.

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/525921/the-latest-chat-app-for-iphone-needs-no-internet-connection/
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
things you own end up owning you
October 07, 2014, 03:02:54 PM
What does "block bitcoin at ISP level" mean? Bitcoin is not a single IP or Server an ISP can block and as long as me and the nodes I connect to use Tor the ISP might be able to detect the use of Tor (AFAIK not even that is possible) but has no ideawhat the traffic actually is. Could be recepies for cake, could be bitcoin, to the ISP its basically noise. Thats why I said youd have to dissallow encryption and thats not an Internet thats a corporate network with limited services.

block port I meant, i thought it only connect using 8333 but I was wrong.
copper member
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499
No I dont escrow anymore.
October 07, 2014, 02:58:13 PM
What does "block bitcoin at ISP level" mean? Bitcoin is not a single IP or Server an ISP can block and as long as me and the nodes I connect to use Tor the ISP might be able to detect the use of Tor (AFAIK not even that is possible) but has no ideawhat the traffic actually is. Could be recepies for cake, could be bitcoin, to the ISP its basically noise. Thats why I said youd have to dissallow encryption and thats not an Internet thats a corporate network with limited services.
legendary
October 07, 2014, 02:56:09 PM
found the answer, this is not a threat, things have changed since version 7.0 even IPv6 is supported  Roll Eyes
legendary
October 07, 2014, 02:26:49 PM
I was having an argument in the speculation sub-forum when someone said "the only way to stop Bitcoin would be to ban the entire internet"... see I often hear that, but being in IT as a profession that statement give me a real hard time, so I thought it is time to discuss it, maybe there is something I am not aware off !!

So if Bitcoin becomes a real threat to governments, and if they agree on banning it and killing it, one way to go would be just changing regulation (FCC) for internet service providers and force them to ban the port that Bitcoin uses (8332 now), this would mean certain death to Bitcoin.

I want to hear your opinion, and how do you think this could be prevented ?

change the port to 80, use SSL.
now bitcoin is indistinguishable from any SSL website, good luck banning it.

This, or use Tor. What we today understand as the Internet will have to cease existing in order to stop any specific service or protcoll. Youd have to ban encrypted data in general in order to be able to inspect and filter every package. Thats what certain corporate networks do along with restricted hard- and software.

my understanding is: using Tor means connecting to a service that is blocked in your country through a node where that content is allowed, but if you block it on ISP level no one will be able to connect to that service (bitcoin).
legendary
October 07, 2014, 02:22:51 PM
I was having an argument in the speculation sub-forum when someone said "the only way to stop Bitcoin would be to ban the entire internet"... see I often hear that, but being in IT as a profession that statement give me a real hard time, so I thought it is time to discuss it, maybe there is something I am not aware off !!

So if Bitcoin becomes a real threat to governments, and if they agree on banning it and killing it, one way to go would be just changing regulation (FCC) for internet service providers and force them to ban the port that Bitcoin uses (8332 now), this would mean certain death to Bitcoin.

yes, changing to port 80 would solve this, but this also means that Bitcoin and a webserver cant run at the same server.
legendary
October 07, 2014, 02:21:14 PM
Tor is already implemented in bitcoin core.
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Running_Bitcoin

(-onion command line)

but even if you use a proxy, we are talking about blocking it at ISP level.
copper member
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499
No I dont escrow anymore.
October 07, 2014, 02:16:40 PM

This, or use Tor. What we today understand as the Internet will have to cease existing in order to stop any specific service or protcoll. Youd have to ban encrypted data in general in order to be able to inspect and filter every package. Thats what certain corporate networks do along with restricted hard- and software.
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
October 07, 2014, 02:13:30 PM

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011
October 07, 2014, 02:13:00 PM
Tor is already implemented in bitcoin core.
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Running_Bitcoin

(-onion command line)
legendary
October 07, 2014, 01:48:21 PM

So if Bitcoin becomes a real threat to governments, and if they agree on banning it and killing it, one way to go would be just changing regulation (FCC) for internet service providers and force them to ban the port that Bitcoin uses (8333 now), this would mean certain death to Bitcoin.

Pages:
Jump to: