Pages:
Author

Topic: "TheInternet" Bot - Doing Something with Trades - How long? What happens after? - page 2. (Read 3664 times)

Activity: 630
Merit: 500
but if you want to know the logistics of making one, my opinion on how it impacts the market, who else is playing around the in the markets, I'd be happy to share.  Just not willing to give up the secret sauce.
I am curious.  I will gladly take this in a PM, but I prefer public as I know I would not probably be the one to ask the right questions on this subject.   Definitely interested in hearing the positives though.

So in five years the stupid phrase "there is an app for that!" will be replaced with "I made a bot for that!"
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
The second bot is a joke (the link to this forum)

The pokerbotter guy nailed it.  If someone is trying to sell an algorithm it's because it isn't profitable anymore.

If you spend any real money on a system where he shows you the results from a whopping 13 trades, you deserve what's coming to you.

Don't fear the bots, I'm going to bed soon, but I'll come clean here and say that I do have a working bot that makes real money (not a ton).  I barely beat out a miner and am currently assuming nearly the same risk, although difficulty doesn't effect me.  Ask me anything you want, but I won't give any details about how my bot makes money, or how it trades... but if you want to know the logistics of making one, my opinion on how it impacts the market, who else is playing around the in the markets, I'd be happy to share.  Just not willing to give up the secret sauce.
how do you have 2 different post counts?
I believe this should answer your question.

Activity: 84
Merit: 10
You guys really overestimate the impact of bots on bitcoin, it's minimal, and most of the impact is positive, not negative.
Adjusted title of the thread, I am still kind of confused on overall impact is all.  I keep thinking about the positives it gives by having a kind of regulation there, but how unnatural it is as well.  Still not sure how I feel.

how do you have 2 different post counts?
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
dude said it wasn't him.

I'm jealous too... xD
You guys really overestimate the impact of bots on bitcoin, it's minimal, and most of the impact is positive, not negative.
Adjusted title of the thread, I am still kind of confused on overall impact is all.  I keep thinking about the positives it gives by having a kind of regulation there, but how unnatural it is as well.  Still not sure how I feel.
Activity: 56
Merit: 0

I read through that entire thread on reddit yesterday.  It's a Genetic Algorithm.  Basically you create a pool of "genes", which are in this case, trading methods, and you let them exist in different populations under different conditions, with given starting parameters.  From there you see which are the strongest (biggest winners) and you let them merge with other genes to hopefully create a powerful winning strategy.

The guy really doesn't give a fuck about profit, and I actually believe him when he says it, he's just a dude with an interest in cutting edge algorithms.  His sample size was 5 trades as of yesterday, and his winrate was 80%.  This isn't definitive at all.

Also, I'm not sure I subscribe to the whole genetic algorithm being something that can be applied to markets, as it seems to me you'd have a massive hurdle in that the algorithm would want to choose the best winners on a curve-fitting basis.  Perhaps he's taken measures to avoid this, but the main point is that what worked yesterday, has to work today, in order for an algorithm based on past experience to work.  Clearly the fact that there are winning traders who trade purely Technical Analysis suggests that this exists, but they definitely don't curve fit.

EDIT: Oh yeah, it threw me way off that he called it "High Frequency Trading" because it's not even close.  In fact, this was the first time I noticed.  You cannot run HFTs unless you have Fill-Or-Kill (FOK) orders.  The only exchange that has that is CampBX, and market depth is shit right now on that exchange.  An HFT probes for information on incredibly short term supply and demand, and gobbles up the spread, basically assuring that all market orders fill at horrible prices.  You need leverage, micro-second trading ability, and FOK orders to accomplish this.  Bitcoin provides none, and as I said earlier, he posted that he had 5 trades.
Activity: 332
Merit: 250
Thanks for doing this research.  Don't be quick to condemn trading bots.  They are inevitable and ubiquitous in all mature electronic trading markets.  They also provide a valuable service to human traders. Rapid filling of orders, liquidity, and executing algorithms to determine fair market value.

There are drawbacks like flash crashes.  But with a low volume, low market cap market like Bitcoins, it seems unwise to make a large investment or to attempt to redeem a large investment (let's say $10 million and up) without the help of an automated trading platform to spread out the purchase or sale over many weeks so the market can bear it.
legendary
Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121
Love the 'net worth' part of the graph. Mimics price, which means it isn't any more efficient than price. That doesn't hit me as a particularly effective system. Most system makers want their equity graph to have a nice upward trend, not full of drawdown excursions when price falls.

I give this a big 'meh'.

Posted this

Replied somewhere was this
The bot has been off line the last couple of days for upgrades and debugging. I've already made the trade system more robust and will be adding some market detection code today so the system can automatically switch between radically different GA strategies on the fly.
That being said, it has already completed about 600 trades and is profitable Wink
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/ipr35/bots_keeping_the_price_still/c25oud3

Then I had to go look and found this

and this
I'm a thinker, an architect (INTP), not the business type.
I'm not doing this to make money -- neither through selling the software or making money on the market, I'm only doing it because I find it interesting.
At some point I will probably get bored and abandon the whole thing.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/ijp4s/high_frequency_trading_with_genetic_algorithms/c24bi4v

Awesome right?

At the least, better than this http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=28268.0 ?

I know this shit goes on, just have not seen the screens before is all.   I could possibly title this post better, but leaving for now, still reading on how this particular bot works.
Pages:
Jump to: