Pages:
Author

Topic: Theymos is taking illegal ads from a ponzi scheme - MakeBtc.org - page 2. (Read 8187 times)

KWH
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1045
In Collateral I Trust.
Promoting Ponzi schemes champions the Libertarian cause?  To outsiders, it looks like nothing more than raw greed and stupidity.

IDEA!
Start your own site,  make your own rules and live happily ever after.
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
Promoting Ponzi schemes champions the Libertarian cause?  To outsiders, it looks like nothing more than raw greed and stupidity.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393
You lead and I'll watch you walk away.
...What few limits are imposed here are only intended to keep big brother from busting the door down and shutting off the lights....

...just like those ads will be used by the authorities as an excuse for investigating this forum/people associated with running it. big brother from busting the door down and shutting off the lights.

Not sure how to make this any clearer.  I'm not telling you to be law-abiding -- just to stop screaming "I'm doin' crimez here!!1!"  Not all of us welcome the added attention.

Wait a minute. It's ok to be a radical just don't let anybody know it? It's hard to start a movement with that perspective.
Activity: 644
Merit: 500
...What few limits are imposed here are only intended to keep big brother from busting the door down and shutting off the lights....

...just like those ads will be used by the authorities as an excuse for investigating this forum/people associated with running it. big brother from busting the door down and shutting off the lights.

Not sure how to make this any clearer.  I'm not telling you to be law-abiding -- just to stop screaming "I'm doin' crimez here!!1!"  Not all of us welcome the added attention.

I also don't think most of us want to lower the .00000001% chance of Bitcoin not becoming banned or illegal. Then we'd be in some TOUGH shit.

And the forum would be instantly shut down, of course.

legendary
I don't get it, what's the big deal all of the sudden? ...

At a time when 90% of Bitcoin securities are turning out to be scams or so grossly mismanaged that it amounts to the same thing, when Gox accidently all ur bitcoins, when Bitcoin Foundation members resign in disgrace, when the mainstream journalists are pointing fingers peeing their pants laughing, some of us feel now might not be the time to start running Ponzi ads.

The illegality is brought up as a justification for banning those ads, just like those ads will be used by the authorities as an excuse for investigating this forum/people associated with running it.

When there's a kilo of blow in your car, make sure your taillights work, and make sure you stop for stop signs.  Why does stuff like this need to be spelled out here?

It needs to be spelled out because it doesn't fit into Bitcoin or this forum. This place is run by an anarchist (theymos - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Theymos). It's a haven for anarchists and libertarians. The beliefs here tend to run toward very minimalist government and freedom to do anything that you see fit. What few limits are imposed here are only intended to keep big brother from busting the door down and shutting off the lights. Posts only needs to be in the correct section and on topic. Bitcoin was supposed to be that way too. Bitcoin became popular when "normal" people started using it, TBF started working with governments and it has become so vanilla that I almost don't want any part of it now. Ponzi's belong here because they go along with the ideals here like peanut butter goes with fucking jelly. Get it now?
I don't get it, what's the big deal all of the sudden? ...

At a time when 90% of Bitcoin securities are turning out to be scams or so grossly mismanaged that it amounts to the same thing, when Gox accidently all ur bitcoins, when Bitcoin Foundation members resign in disgrace, when the mainstream journalists are pointing fingers peeing their pants laughing, some of us feel now might not be the time to start running Ponzi ads.

The illegality is brought up as a justification for banning those ads, just like those ads will be used by the authorities as an excuse for investigating this forum/people associated with running it.

When there's a kilo of blow in your car, make sure your taillights work, and make sure you stop for stop signs.  Why does stuff like this need to be spelled out here?
legendary
I don't get it, what's the big deal all of the sudden? Bitcoin was founded in illegal activity. If it wasn't for Gawker letting the world know you can buy illegal drugs online with Bitcoin none of you would have ever heard about Bitcoin. This place has always been accepting of illegal shit. This guy "Flax" used to sell all kinds of illegal drugs from the marketplace of this forum. Hell, when I came here years ago theymos had a ponzi scheme advert in his sig line. You want to use and discuss a financial network that fully complies with the law then go use this forum: https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/US-PayPal-Community/ct-p/US
legendary
Activity: 1867
Merit: 1023
I think we're missing out on the most obvious solution - MakeBTC.org should join the Bitcoin Foundation board Kiss
^
There are things that people try not to do, without needing laws to specifically prohibit them.  Farting at the theater is one such thing.  Advertising Ponzis is another.  I swear, this is like arguing with a 4-year-old.

Let's stop going around in circles.  The illegalities of advertising Ponzis for an American person operating a website from American soil are numerous, and have been stated throughout this thread.  They are unimportant.

The bad publicity, needless attention from government agencies, and giving a great foothold for Bitcoin's detractors -- those are the important bits.

Finally somebody agrees with me! Many people are using black markets, Mt Gox, and other things against Bitcoin already! Why the hell would we want them to pick up that we the forum even 'allows' Ponzis? I honestly have no idea why anybody would say that they think they shouldn't be banned.

To the Media, it'll no longer be the Blackmarketcoin. It'll also be the Illegal-Scammer-Blackmarket-Coin.
Who's "we"?

Hmm, nice catch of that.

I changed it, thanks for telling/informing me of that.
legendary
Activity: 896
Merit: 1006
First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold
^
There are things that people try not to do, without needing laws to specifically prohibit them.  Farting at the theater is one such thing.  Advertising Ponzis is another.  I swear, this is like arguing with a 4-year-old.

Let's stop going around in circles.  The illegalities of advertising Ponzis for an American person operating a website from American soil are numerous, and have been stated throughout this thread.  They are unimportant.

The bad publicity, needless attention from government agencies, and giving a great foothold for Bitcoin's detractors -- those are the important bits.

Finally somebody agrees with me! Many people are using black markets, Mt Gox, and other things against Bitcoin already! Why the hell would we want them to pick up that we even 'allow' Ponzis? I honestly have no idea why anybody would say that they think they shouldn't be banned.

To the Media, it'll no longer be the Blackmarketcoin. It'll also be the Illegal-Scammer-Blackmarket-Coin.
Who's "we"?
Case in point:

As soon as things go wrong, all the "personal responsibility" and "muh right to chose buttrape" bullshit is forgotten, and Money Mavericks call in teh man:

Gentlemen the only way to do this right is to make the complaint to the government of the United States,

they have a website dedicated to the fraud,

we are not detectives, stop playing

www.sec.gov/complaint/tipscomplaint.shtml

+1 to that. Everyone should do this.
Especially if the site is hosted in the US, the offshore safe haven this is presumed to May not apply.

Next time you wonder why regulation, this is why.
Thanks for protecting our right to Ponzi Undecided
Activity: 224
Merit: 101
Easiest solution yes, not the best though. Best (and more likely to be implemented) solution is a new board for HYIP. HYIP have always been lumped in with gambling, and they should be separated. Ponzis would fit better there as well. I made another post about it here. https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.5657950
I've seen this requested in the meta section before. About time it happens. Goodie goodie.
^

Finally somebody agrees with me! Many people are using black markets, Mt Gox, and other things against Bitcoin already! Why the hell would we want them to pick up that we even 'allow' Ponzis? I honestly have no idea why anybody would say that they think they shouldn't be banned.

Activity: 224
Merit: 101
^

Lol, yet you're wrong and accomplished nothing.

/thread
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
^

legendary
Activity: 896
Merit: 1006
First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold
What's so illegal about the ads?

Assisting people engaged in fraud is illegal.

In most countries, the "I did not know it was illegal to do X" does not work as a defense.  And in this case, Theymos knows its illegal.

Which part is illegal?  There is a huge difference between someone promising an unrealistic return on investment aka a Ponzi scheme and someone specifically saying they will not pay an unrealistic return on investment and pay out a specific amount from additional deposits coming in?
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
Easiest solution yes, not the best though. Best (and more likely to be implemented) solution is a new board for HYIP. HYIP have always been lumped in with gambling, and they should be separated. Ponzis would fit better there as well. I made another post about it here. https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.5657950

I had not seen that post yet. That would indeed be the ideal solution! Thank you
Oh sure.

When this hits the media, 'Biggest Bitcoin Forum Promotes Ponzis', what the fuck do you guys think will happen?

No offense, but most ignorant people think Bitcoiners are crazed hippies that invest in drugs and frauds already.

But Ponzis are illegal in many countries.

The USD might be one of the dirties currencies alive right now, but ignorance will make people to believe that Bitcoin supports illegal things.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127
Pages:
Jump to: