Pages:
Author

Topic: Thieves, Govts and Mistakes - page 2. (Read 2363 times)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500
Manateeeeeeees
July 12, 2013, 10:09:12 PM
Yes.  Don't keep large amounts on exchanges for long periods of time (I'd say 1 day max) - it's a really bad idea for various reasons.  At least keep them on a local encrypted wallet.  Also, don't go to BTC-E with javascript, flash or java on in your browser - people have gotten keylogged before that way and lost wallets.
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
July 12, 2013, 10:09:02 PM
You made a lot of mistakes, the first one was to TRUST on a system.

You trusted Bitcoins-24, do you know who they are? Giving something of value to anybody is always a risk, even giving it to the bank. You are from Argentina, where you had a bank run on 2001, banks stole dollars from people, and the minister give the people "peso" instead of his dollars.

Then you trusted on BlockChain, even when they say they have security, you can't be sure if they really are keeping your coins safe. Misteriously they can say "uppsss, our system was hacked" and say "bye bye" to you (ex-) coins.

Then you trust on Yubikey, a third party security system. What happens if it fails? And 2-pass auth? The one controlled by G00?

The answer was always, do not trust on somebody, you should keep your coins for yourself. Cold storage, print the code, or remember it. And trust no one.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1013
July 12, 2013, 09:56:41 PM
The way to prevent this is to keep all your coins that you aren't currently spending in cold storage, with paper backups.
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
July 12, 2013, 09:54:40 PM
I have been thinking of producing other more effective methods of bitcoin transfer myself, the internet is simply too unpredictable for the average person to handle along with the "chaotically" liberating nature of Bitcoins.

Let me guess, you have probably fallen into one of those BTC-E phishing sites. Probably the one where they demand you watch a really important video (don't even remember the phishing sites excuse for this) and ask you to login before you do that.

It really is amazing to burst the bubble of the average crypto nerd, pretty much this:
Activity: 44
Merit: 0
July 12, 2013, 09:30:26 PM
Well, this is depressing...  After i lost 100 BTC to the Polish/German government/banks when Bitcoins-24 was shutdown [1], and someone managing to discover my BTE-E password [2] and took another 100 BTC from me, I moved all my coins to Blockchain, with double passwords (one to get in, another to withdraw)... passwords I have never used before or written down anywhere... very good passwords.  Sadly, I can not use Yubikey or 2-pass auth here in Argentina.  Nevertheless, I get a message from blockchain at midnight two nights ago saying "Withdrawal from your account".. Of course, I look and yes, the account has been completely wiped out by some address that appears in the ocean off the west African coast.  Once upon a time I had 500 BTC.  Between what has been lost (hard drive crash with no backup), commandeered by TPTB, and stolen,  I am left with 25 coins.   

I am not the only person with this story.  the one big question mark I have about the future of bitcoins is for all the cryptology involved in 'securing' the coin, they seem to be about as secure a gold bars under my mattress. 

[1] has ANYONE received anything of their BTC back? I know they keep saying "we are working on it", but I kinda think they are full 'o crap.  I think they are refunding the euros but just keeping the BTC and blatantly screwing their BTC clients because they know there is little or nothing that can be done to them.  But with actual money they can be prosecuted.  So they return the money and simply steal the BTC.

[2] my BTC-E account was emptied at 8pm, then 20 minutes later, my Vircurex account (which used the same password) was emptied, and there were failed attempts to log into other account.  My theory is they managed to steal my username/passwd from BTC-E then use dthat same combo on every exchange out there, and they managed to get lucky with Vircurex, and not with the others.  I asked BTC-E if they had been hacked, and they said nothing at all had happened, but a quick search will show that BTC-E seems to be a favorite for thieves and hackers.

Pages:
Jump to: