Pages:
Author

Topic: Think the price of Bitcoin to be what it will be in 30 years when securing coin - page 2. (Read 1330 times)

legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179
I also agree with knight. You need to keep your stash secures on paper not just a thumb drive. One thing I have learned is devices fail. I keepone backed up on thumbs rives AND paper.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

There will be hacking teams and mafia working together to find early adopters/holders.

That scares me too. If teams of hackers can breach places like Sony, eBay and Governments various secret facilities like their military's etc. Then who do we think we are to fend them off should they learn that we were early adopters?

I wonder if using a very high resolution image on a computer offline which has been opened in a photo editing program where you cut/paste your wallet in QR as small as it can go since it will only have to in pixels. Or just paste the private key as small as it can get.

Soniccoin does this via android app. Would be sweet to incorporate it into Bitcoin. 1 pixel out of the image has the privat key and only yourself or the intended recipient can decode that pixel.
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001
There will be hacking teams and mafia working together to find early adopters/holders.
That scares me too. If teams of hackers can breach places like Sony, eBay and Governments various secret facilities like their military's etc. Then who do we think we are to fend them off should they learn that we were early adopters?

Yes, but they could be doing that now as well.
But when it really gets going in the future we will all probably be dead, so only your descendants will have to worry.  Cheesy

I wonder if using a very high resolution image on a computer offline which has been opened in a photo editing program where you cut/paste your wallet in QR as small as it can go since it will only have to in pixels. Or just paste the private key as small as it can get.

In reality though, you should follow knightdk's advice. It is what I do with my little amount of btc.
What you are describing might be too complicated and if that hard-drive storing the photos fail, you are in trouble.
Activity: 68
Merit: 10

staff
Activity: 3374
Merit: 6530
Just writing some code
You should spread out your Bitcoin over several addresses and use encrypted paper wallets and store those paper wallets somewhere very safe (e.g. safe deposit box). They will be encrypted with your password (better make it a good one) so that even if the wallet is stolen, no one can take your funds. The private keys for those addresses should never be on a computer anywhere and the wallets themselves should be made on an offline computer booting from a live cd. Also make multiple copies of each one and store each one in a different place to insure against theft.
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001
You are not overreacting.
If one day bitcoin becomes a fundamental part of financial society,
you may be holding and controlling a percentage of that new financial order.

Potentially in the far future, even 1 single bitcoin could be enough for a lifetime.
And if that is the case, anyone who holds more than 1 is a target.

No one will rob banks or break into homes for tvs or jewelry.

But by that point, I like to think we will be living on our BTC Holder Only estates on Mars.  Wink

I can dream...
Activity: 68
Merit: 10
I am a very private bitcoin miner. I don't "believe" bitcoin will be worth a lot of money one day. I feel more that I "know" it will.

I truly believe that one day people will scour the internet forums and anywhere else where they can short list people who have been involved in the bitcoin community for a long time and are likely to be holding a stash of bitcoin.

People could physically threaten you or your family, attack your house, or perhaps hack you.

Maybe someone you know in the physical world may try to rob you?

I welcome any discussion of how you think it best to secure your wallet/s.

I currently have 2 thumb drives which I consider my "bank" wallet. Which is empty, but still, it's there for when I need to send to it. I have them encrypted in a winrar file, then the wallet itself encrypted with something near impossible to find, then that wallet is then broken up into fragments and embedded into a bunch of wedding photos. Probably overkill, but still, why not... I think I should also make a copy of this to a microsd and a small cd.

Hardware failure worries me.

Does anyone have any experience with the purpose made encrypted thumb drives?

How do you secure your bitcoins? or plan to in the future? Am I just overreacting?

Cheers
Pages:
Jump to: