Pages:
Author

Topic: Thinking about buying an April Cointerra unit for ~8 BTC? Take my bet instead. - page 2. (Read 4850 times)

Activity: 462
Merit: 250
Personally I don't think it's an even bet at all, but I do think it's a _more_ even bet than buying the hardware—

your bet allows for optimum mining (no downtime, no pool issues, no pool fees) so there is gain right there over a year span.
if delivered first week April it *may* make 2btc before May then have to squeak out the rest over a year which may or may not happen.

if difficulty skyrockets before April (which I think you rest your case on) then yes you win easily.. but that gives a lot of credit to these mining companies to actually deliver those amounts

staff
Activity: 4242
Merit: 8672
Just buy one in fiat, do not waste good BTC on hardware!
Bad comparison, ... you could always use your fiat instead to buy BTC. So even if you buy with fiat you're still wasting your ability to purchase BTC.

seems like an even bet (if delivered early April..  loss if late May) which proves the futility in buying new miners.
if you aren't using accounting tricks or getting 0% loans or any other shady way to reduce your cost basis do not buy a miner
Personally I don't think it's an even bet at all, but I do think it's a _more_ even bet than buying the hardware— so my conscience isn't hurt by the belief that its likely to be profitable for me.  I'm tired of trying to convince people that they're paying too much for miners, and instead I think this offers something which is win/win over someone buying the miner.
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
seems like an even bet (if delivered early April..  loss if late May) which proves the futility in buying new miners.

if you aren't using accounting tricks or getting 0% loans or any other shady way to reduce your cost basis do not buy a miner
staff
Activity: 4242
Merit: 8672
If you're thinking about buying one of CoinTerra's 2TH/s April delivery miners for ~8 BTC right now then I strongly recommend you take my bet instead:

Here is how it works:

You and I both pick a mutually agreeable arbitrator and go to https://www.bitrated.com/  and pay to a 2 of 3 multi-signature blockchain escrow.

Each of us pays 8 BTC into the escrow for a total of 16 BTC.

Then, later at your option but no more than a year from the start we will calculate the income the miner would have earned given the network difficulty, minus 0.00005 BTC/kwh power (e.g. $0.05kwh at $1000/BTC)... and the escrow will pay you 105% of that amount up to a maximum of 16 BTC, and pay me the remainder.

If for some reason cointerra doesn't deliver by the end of may, the calculation will be performed assuming that they did deliver at the end of may and that the miners drew whatever their january units draw (or 1.2KW if they ship nothing at all ever). In no case will we use prior to April 1st as the starting date. (E.g. I'm not willing to take a risk that cointerra buys up your bets and then ships units early. Tongue)

You avoid the hassle of actually running the miner and get a 5% increase in the return from it, you also get a degree of protection against a failure to ship or a massively delayed shipment.  The cost to you is that is that your the total returned is limited to 16 BTC.

I'm willing to work out more specific contract terms with interested parties.

Pages:
Jump to: