Pages:
Author

Topic: Thinking of downloading Bitcoin Core - page 3. (Read 3540 times)

legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1016
December 07, 2015, 08:40:24 AM
Hi all i got a new pc recently and was thinking of downloading bitcoin core, whats the pro's and con's?

Bitcoin core is very good client and herefore also a very good wallet.Easy to use imo.
When you download it you will have the full blockchain on your computer.This gives you the opportunity to run a network node and support the network.This is always welcome.
But the blockchain is quite large (+30GB) and if you haven't run it a few days it will take some while to sync depending on your bandwith.
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
Mining Bitcoins Since 2010
December 07, 2015, 08:34:35 AM
One question i want to ask here , if i download bitcoin core and run it 24x7 them will i get something , say bitcoins by network to run it?
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 1070
December 07, 2015, 08:30:38 AM
if you have a good desktop with powerful cpu and ssd, there are no con to core, it offer more security than spv client and it has everything you need minus some fuctions that you can integrate later via armory
Activity: 770
Merit: 500
December 07, 2015, 08:30:31 AM
Hi all i got a new pc recently and was thinking of downloading bitcoin core, whats the pro's and con's?
Be mind, you're going to download whole blockchain worth of 40+ GBs of data and HDD space for sync. and counting.
Activity: 96
Merit: 10
December 07, 2015, 08:28:03 AM

The pro is you keep a copy of the blockchain. You care contribute to the security of bitcoin world. The con is you have to wait for a few days/weeks to see your first fraction of bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003
𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛
December 07, 2015, 08:22:52 AM
The first thing you have to know is, the Blockchain has a very very big size and keep going up 'til now.
Activity: 119
Merit: 100
December 07, 2015, 08:20:11 AM
I have the same thinking when I first touch Bitcoin! But after a while, I found core wallet is consuming a lot of resource and I cannot open syn the wallet 24/7! I don't like the waiting time of synchronizing when I rush to spend the Bitcoin!
legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 4418
Crypto Swap Exchange
December 07, 2015, 08:06:18 AM
Bitcoin Core helps to support the network, whether you open port 8333 or not. It still helps to enforce the network rules.

Bitcoin Core itself is a trustless client which does not trust any other person other than itself. If a miner mines an invalid block which does not follow the network rules, Bitcoin Core will reject it and SPV clients would happily accept it till a longer chain emerges. Bitcoin Core has various tools for developers, the RPC interface etc. It's great for payment system.

Bitcoin Core takes a huge amount of memory space. It keeps a copy of the entire blockchain which is more than 55GB at the moment. It is projected to grow even more if the block size increase. This also means that you need to have lots of free space for it. I don't run it since I only have a 128GB built in SSD. Bitcoin Core misses out on features such as hierarchical deterministic seeds. HD wallets have a seed which the address generates from. This only require the users to make one and only backup in their lifetime (of course you need several copies). With Bitcoin Core, you need to backup every 100 transactions or so since it pregenerates 100 address everytime and uses a change address for every transaction.
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427
December 07, 2015, 08:01:42 AM
What can be seen as a benefit for some people, is being considered not to be a benefit by other people. I personally find it a benefit that you have the entire blockchain in your pc. It allows me to run a full node to support the network. But for some people it is too time consuming as it may take 1 to 3 days to download the full blockchain. It is strongly depending on the nodes you are connected with. The wallet does start quite slow from time to time if you replace wallet files frequently.

If you don't like that, you can choose to go with a light weight wallet that doesn't need you to download the full blockchain. Electrum and Multibit are good alternatives.
Activity: 1106
Merit: 521
December 07, 2015, 07:25:11 AM
Pages:
Jump to: