Pages:
Author

Topic: This week has given me pause: I'm getting out of BTC - page 2. (Read 5096 times)

legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata
I might be on the same boat if it wasn't for all the VC money pouring in to Bitcoin startups.  VC's have a good eye for "the next big thing", so I'm going to follow their lead on this.

+1 have to agree on this one.

When in doubt I just imagine bitcoins aren't worth anything. Some random guy on the forum will post his offer for buying a couple of pizzas with 10k of them in short time.
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1386
I still remember the "crash" of 2011 and all the hair-pulling about the death of bitcoin.  I don't have my life savings in or anything like that, but I decided back then just to ride this train out for the fun of it and it's been a lot of fun.  Things were looking a whole lot more dire back in June of 2011, let me tell you.  Back then, something like the blocksize bug/forced hard fork or Mt. Gox freeze might have set Bitcoin back a decade or more.  While I have no idea whether owning bitcoins will make my life easier in the long run and I have no idea what the price will be in a month, I am very confident that the Bitcoin network will be around for many years to come, and I'm interested to be a part of it.

Those are good comments and hit upon a central point which IMHO is the error of the OP.  It isn't the PRESENCE of adversarial events that imacts the longevity of Bitcoin, but how the bitcoin and it's market responds to those events. 

"Punch back twice as hard."
"In the morning the flag was still standing."

...and so forth.  It is the seeing of a product withstand the events that establishes it as other than a fly by night, or a dot com bubble, etc.
Activity: 211
Merit: 100
I still remember the "crash" of 2011 and all the hair-pulling about the death of bitcoin.  I don't have my life savings in or anything like that, but I decided back then just to ride this train out for the fun of it and it's been a lot of fun.  Things were looking a whole lot more dire back in June of 2011, let me tell you.  Back then, something like the blocksize bug/forced hard fork or Mt. Gox freeze might have set Bitcoin back a decade or more.  While I have no idea whether owning bitcoins will make my life easier in the long run and I have no idea what the price will be in a month, I am very confident that the Bitcoin network will be around for many years to come, and I'm interested to be a part of it.
Activity: 708
Merit: 500
check again the number of countries bypassing the USD for trade
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
I understand your sentiment and if I had 4 or 5 digits of profit rather than 3 I might be tempted to do the same.

I am reasonably confident BTC will not die in the next year.

If it doesn't then the spread of values we can expect range from $10 all the way up the high hundreds.

I certainly would like to be part of the bounce from low double digits and I wouldn't ever want to be out of the market completely on a long-term basis.

I'm a firm believer that the bigger risks are to be taken at the start of any venture not at the end.

It's clear you don't see anything like a similar profit from hereon in so your plan makes sense.

Edit: yes it's the US government departments who will try to kill off BTC but that will be its chance to break free of its relationship with a dying currency. Non-USD exchanges are the future.

You are underestimating greed.

Do you think 6 digits of profits are cool?

No.

+8 digits of profit are cool. Then you can retire. Otherwise - what's the point?

Cheesy
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
"Don't go in the trollbox, trollbox, trollbox"
I understand your sentiment and if I had 4 or 5 digits of profit rather than 3 I might be tempted to do the same.

I am reasonably confident BTC will not die in the next year.

If it doesn't then the spread of values we can expect range from $10 all the way up the high hundreds.

I certainly would like to be part of the bounce from low double digits and I wouldn't ever want to be out of the market completely on a long-term basis.

I'm a firm believer that the bigger risks are to be taken at the start of any venture not at the end.

It's clear you don't see anything like a similar profit from hereon in so your plan makes sense.

Edit: yes it's the US government departments who will try to kill off BTC but that will be its chance to break free of its relationship with a dying currency. Non-USD exchanges are the future.
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination
Some of my projection:

This summer, when ASICminer/Avalon/BFL pushing tons of hash power to the network, if the bitcoin price stay the same, there will be tens of thousands of GPU miners forced to mine at a loss, at that stage it is much wiser for them to purchase bitcoin, (there are no ASIC devices ready for delivery), that will in turn support the bitcoin price, so I think the price will still rise until autumn

But by October, most of the miners will finish their upgrade to ASIC devices, and ASIC devices will become widely available for purchase, there will be less and less buying support for bitcoin, until ASIC devices have been driven to a low profitability level that it barely pays the electricity, that will happen much later next year, so price might fall during that period

In a word, when ASIC devices is still profitable and becomes readily available for delivery, a large amount of capitals will flow to that direction thus reduce the bitcoin buying support

FED is going to end its QEI sometime during this year, that will also impact the available risk capital in the market
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022
Anarchy is not chaos.
I'm a bit of a newbie. I've been peripherally aware of bitcoin since it launched, but due to personal issues didn't pay much attention.

Stupid of me. I would have made a mint, and it's interesting to boot.

I've spent the last several weeks researching the idea and the implementation of crypto coins. I do NOT think now is a good time to get out, though profit taking is probably a good idea.

The USD is under fire from every imaginable direction, whereas bitcoin, so far, has a few regulatory hurdles to be a viable currency WITHIN the USA, and has jumped a lot of those hurdles or bypassed them altogether outside of the Empire. I'm definitely an Austrian when it comes to economics, and I don't see the dollar surviving it's own cheering squad. When "the Maestro" was in charge of the fed, maybe. Or Volker. But Bernanke? He's a one trick pony, and that trick already failed. He's out of ammunition, both intellectually and actually. Right this moment I see the dollar as a more dangerous investment than the bitcoin.

I think, if your profit taking is good enough, that you would be wise to diversify far beyond the dollar. Physical precious metals, other currencies, ag futures, land if you can find it at market value (I.E. not in the USA), and yes, cryptocurrency. Not just BTC.

Well, that's my take on it anyway. YMMV.
Activity: 756
I am holding enough for transactions but nowadays I don't really accumulate Bitcoin and also stopped mining with my Bitcoin rigs as it is no longer profitable to do so.
legendary
Merit: 1003
What gives me faith, though, is that the bitcoin market did not budge at all, and in fact went UP after the LR press release.

Here is the question I can't answer right now... if the largest funding source for the most traded currency (USD) on the highest volume exchange is now closed then how is money going to get into and out of the market?  I too am surprised that neither price NOR volume changed very much with this event.  That alone makes me very concerned.  The volume is either fake, inflated by API trading, or something else.

That's where I think you are absolutely wrong.  LR and Dwolla were a tiny portion of the USD funding for MtGox.  Wires have always been how the big money funds their accounts.  Dwolla might have had quite a few individual transactions, but they were only used for smaller transactions.

I think a large part if not most of bitcoin trades are done off exchanges.  Look at LocalBitcoins and bitcoin-otc.
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
What gives me faith, though, is that the bitcoin market did not budge at all, and in fact went UP after the LR press release.

Here is the question I can't answer right now... if the largest funding source for the most traded currency (USD) on the highest volume exchange is now closed then how is money going to get into and out of the market?  I too am surprised that neither price NOR volume changed very much with this event.  That alone makes me very concerned.  The volume is either fake, inflated by API trading, or something else.

That's where I think you are absolutely wrong.  LR and Dwolla were a tiny portion of the USD funding for MtGox.  Wires have always been how the big money funds their accounts.  Dwolla might have had quite a few individual transactions, but they were only used for smaller transactions.

Also there are services like Coinbase which makes it relatively simple to use a US bank account to buy Bitcoins. 
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
Maybe it is my experience with local, in-person OTC trading, but being locked out of digital fiat doesn't scare me one bit.  In fact, it will likely raise prices if Bitcoin is anything like the other industries where trade was restricted by law.  If the Bitcoins are in my encrypted wallet that is backed up in several locations, no government can touch them.
Activity: 490
I actually think the government going after MtGox has more to do with them breaking the law on how exchanges should work than bitcoin itself.  Personally, I think MtGox is not long for this world - but I honestly don't think they'll take bitcoin down with them when they eventually go down as an exchange.  What I suspect will happen is this: the price will crash temporarily, and either the other exchanges will pick up the slack, or someone will create a new exchange that follows the rules and it'll eventually go back up again to its current price, or higher even than it is now.

But I can understand wanting to get out.  I don't have a lot of money in bitcoin right now, so if it fails, I'll lose nothing more than a bit of time.  It sounds like you've been in it a lot longer than I have.  I only wish I had bought bitcoin back when the price was a dollar or two, I'd have made a huge profit if I could have predicted these prices.
legendary
Merit: 1000
that pretty much works all the time, especially with Bitcoin. Remember that Wired article, "The Rise and Fall of Bitcoin", sentencing it to death? That week was the best time to buy, $2 per coin, less than two years ago.

So funny, I thought the article "The Rise and Fall of Bitcoin" was so bullish (the title cleverly didn't contribute to the hype) so I bought in, I sold out on the same sentiment as the OP in December last year, diversifying into gold coins, and an education fund for my kids. Talk about good intentions going wrong.  Glad I saved a few.  

The OP's concerns to me are well founded, Bitcoin is disruptive and uncertain that is for sure, but as a society we have to choose, economic regeneration or repression, selling out is good it provides opportunity for others.   But Bitcoin needs strong hands, so while the OP is concerned the "repression side" is gaining strength, he is taking self preserving actions. If I had any influence I would encourage some profit taking, over the coming weeks, but I discourage selling below $120.  

... During times like these there are two choices offered: repression or regeneration.

When the Continental collapsed there was the American Revolution and regeneration with gold and silver only as legal tender.

On the other side of the Atlantic, John Law got gold and silver outlawed as mediums of exchange punishable by death; repression. The natural backlash was the Reign of Terror with the guillotining of tens of thousands of French aristocracy.

During the 1920's in Germany the Mark collapsed in hyperinflation which set the stage for supreme repression with Hitler.

But in 1694 Isaac Newton was Master of the Mint and invented the gold standard; regeneration.

History is being played out and it seems that the US, China, Bafin and most other regulators are choosing the path of regeneration instead of repression (only the Canadians it seems). It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Activity: 798
Time is on our side, yes it is!
There is logic behind your reasoning so can understand your decision for the most part.  I do think there is a strong risk reward factor for staying in and riding the waves potentially to come.  IMO u should take most of the profit out(60%-70%).

Activity: 224
One bitcoin to rule them all!
Yupp - Keep your original investment and walk away with your head high. There are other stuff you can invest in, and you can always come back.

No matter what - you'we got a good profit.

If you are lucky, you will find that the BTC's have risen a lot in value in 5 yrs, or they may have gone bust. Either way you win.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
I've had a lot of fun (and made a lot of money) trading BTC for the past 2 years.  However, this month and specifically this week has given me pause.  I know the Bitcoin bulls will flame me but I am starting to feel the quakes of a major shakeup coming.  It's something we've all been aware of since the dawn of BTC...

I welcome everyone's thoughts on current events.

yes!!! this is exactly the kind of sentiment we need if i'm to purchase more at $70 again. SELL!

you know how it goes:

"Be Fearful When Others Are Greedy and Greedy When Others Are Fearful"

that pretty much works all the time, especially with Bitcoin. Remember that Wired article, "The Rise and Fall of Bitcoin", sentencing it to death? That week was the best time to buy, $2 per coin, less than two years ago.
Activity: 63
Merit: 10
Please hear me out too.
Just wait now the meassures that Germany asks from French to do.
BitCoin's price will skyrocket like the days with Cyprus.
Then, Cash-out on the high Demand.

Ok, i am accepting donations after this post. I am really very usefull imo. (hahaha  Grin )
Activity: 154
If you feel uncomfortable holding that much in BTC then by all means cash out. Like others have suggested sell 90% and maybe keep around 10% in BTC just in case you are wrong - you never know with all the current VC interest and investment in bitcoin.

Going forward, the most import thing you can do to support bitcoin is to use it whenever you reasonably can to buy goods and services. You simply buy the amount of BTC you need and then immediately use it to buy the good or service - no risk to you as you are not holding it.

Stay thirsty my friends - For Bitcoin!  Cheesy
Pages:
Jump to: