Pages:
Author

Topic: Thoughts on a new decentralized bitcoin foundation - page 2. (Read 1774 times)

legendary
Activity: 1630
Merit: 1000
forgive me but i like to be constructively critical for two reasons.
1. to see if a project holds any weight in actually working
2. if they do have weight, to tweak and correct things to become better

so heres some points.
1 there does not need to be decisions made by a board
2 there does not need to be a board at all
3 there does not need to be membership fee's

so imagine this
a 'jobs website
where people/businesses can list their goals/tasks they want to achieve. and have a bounty (their costs). then anyone and everyone can put money into that listing, and when filled that person/business carries out their task

imagine this
"bitpay: hold an actual meeting with amazon and show them how to integrate bitcoin: costs=plane ticket+hotel(1BTC)"
"Userxy: get 3 merchants in my town to accept bitcoin: costs=3hours labour(0.1btc)"
"AndreasA: to speak at a government hearing about bitcoin: cost=plane ticket+hotel(1BTC)"

this way people are not paid wages for sitting on their asses, and each task can be individually funded, instead of there being losers or winners.
also it stops vote rigging as the only time these people get paid is by pople that want them to do something. thus if they put their own money in they are simply paying themselves. which is not going to work well compared to 'buying votes'

so instead of putting in large fee's to be a member, people save this money and use it to pay for actual tasks and goals to be filled. this stops the corruption of board members getting paid simply for owning a website and appearing to be an authority

That is an interesting idea. I like the fact of funding bounties, but one the problems that arises is time/delay. For example your 3rd example of speaking to the goverment most likely at a hearing of some sorta. This could take a week to fund and then event could be in 3 days. The main reason  think some sort of board is needed is because if/when a goverment comes and requests someone to speak, they need someone to go to to do the request. Wheater this just means having a head of the foundation who simply talks to goverment and acts as the face of the foundation or someone who just controls the domain this is what would be needed.

As for a member ship fee, I thought about this alot and think a a expensive fee is dumb. I think just a small fee that costs 1-10$ just so that members know they paid to be members. The foundation would get most of its money via sites joining the paying a fee to join and voting. My idea of voting is that each address that contains btc greater then X prior to the announcement of voting can vote once in the election. Memebers who pay would get access to special voting and a physical forum to talk.
legendary
Activity: 4270
Merit: 4534
forgive me but i like to be constructively critical for two reasons.
1. to see if a project holds any weight in actually working
2. if they do have weight, to tweak and correct things to become better

so heres some points.
1 there does not need to be decisions made by a board
2 there does not need to be a board at all
3 there does not need to be membership fee's

so imagine this
a 'jobs website
where people/businesses can list their goals/tasks they want to achieve. and have a bounty (their costs). then anyone and everyone can put money into that listing, and when filled that person/business carries out their task

imagine this
"bitpay: hold an actual meeting with amazon and show them how to integrate bitcoin: costs=plane ticket+hotel(1BTC)"
"Userxy: get 3 merchants in my town to accept bitcoin: costs=3hours labour(0.1btc)"
"AndreasA: to speak at a government hearing about bitcoin: cost=plane ticket+hotel(1BTC)"

this way people are not paid wages for sitting on their asses, and each task can be individually funded, instead of there being losers or winners.
also it stops vote rigging as the only time these people get paid is by pople that want them to do something. thus if they put their own money in they are simply paying themselves. which is not going to work well compared to 'buying votes'

so instead of putting in large fee's to be a member, people save this money and use it to pay for actual tasks and goals to be filled. this stops the corruption of board members getting paid simply for owning a website and appearing to be an authority
legendary
Activity: 3724
Merit: 3063
Leave no FUD unchallenged
Anyone owning a bitcoin or satoshi or whatever does not qualify to have a say in Development or anything at all really. If 1 does not participate more than just being in existance 1 does not qualify to change others existance. Just as Democracy doesn't work, this is also naive and stupid.
Perhaps, but surely it's in the interests of everyone if there isn't a single group of people with large sums of the currency claiming legitimacy or leadership over the goals and ideals of all the other Bitcoin users.  If an individual or group wants to claim they represent the wider community, then they're more than welcome to, but it doesn't necessarily mean we shouldn't question what they're advocating.  The foundation in it's present form does have some serious questions to answer with regard to it's legitimacy.  Running counter to your point, being a member of the foundation shouldn't automatically mean you have more say than other users over development and other issues.  If someone has a proposal on the direction of development, that proposal should be judged by it's merit and not by who they are or what self-appointed group they belong to.

One thing I'd hate to see is various "foundations" competing like political parties and gradually becoming just as corrupt as political parties.  That's not the direction we should be heading in.  Bitcoin has to remain neutral and free from vested interests.  With various members of the current foundation holding as much of the currency as they do, that sounds like a conflict of interest to me.  Money should not buy influence in how Bitcoin develops, or we risk heading down the same road and repeating the same mistakes as the current fiat system.

legendary
I don't see how it's much different from what we've got now ecept using the blockchain. They're still a centralised group are they not? We should forget about the foundation all together. They're there own thing and don't represent us all.

Well the problem with the board being really decentralized in that there is no board, is that it causes all decision making to take quite a while as everyone or a good portion of users must vote, also if a government wishes for the foundation to speak about bitcoin we need faces that can represent it. The only way I see to encourage decentralization is to allow any board member to be removed at any time if 51% of users wish he would leave.
Activity: 83
Merit: 10
I'm afraid the 51% of the board will not agree to make any changes to the site or domain like that
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195
I don't see how it's much different from what we've got now ecept using the blockchain. They're still a centralised group are they not? We should forget about the foundation all together. They're there own thing and don't represent us all.
Activity: 338
Merit: 250
So the only difference is we see all the votes?
legendary
Well I think the most logical way to ensure the foundation does there job is to allow the network to make them step down if 51% believe that he is not doing a good job. Also I think paying foundation members would work to make them focus more.

As for what the jobs and goal of the foundation, I think the main goal for the foundation would/should be to spread and increase adoption and make using bitcoins safe. I think this is a question each Board should be asked before they are elected. As some boards may want to focus more on one aspect then another.As for jobs, I think one of the main jobs the board should have besides for voting on changes to bitcoin's source/protocal, is reviewing and security auditing bitcoin business who become industry members of the foundation.
Activity: 253
Merit: 0
The bitcoin foundation members profit from the centers of bitcoin they have built. Decentralizing them would run counter to their interests.
Expect them to, at best, not actually pursue this goal actively. Corn pone opinions and whatnot.
Activity: 116
Good! The foundation needs to stop being secretive about what their goals are! The people want decentralization, not blacklists and regulation! Keep the bitcoin tech free!

Agree with you. Especially when it's associated to money.
Activity: 163
Good! The foundation needs to stop being secretive about what their goals are! The people want decentralization, not blacklists and regulation! Keep the bitcoin tech free!
Activity: 784
https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU
I'm happy with Andreas Antonopoulus, I'll stand behind whichever foundation he endorses.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
Anyone owning a bitcoin or satoshi or whatever does not qualify to have a say in Development or anything at all really. If 1 does not participate more than just being in existance 1 does not qualify to change others existance. Just as Democracy doesn't work, this is also naive and stupid.

Also, isn't this teymous guy the obvious candidate for creating a "decenralized" Foundation if it were to be based on the community?
legendary
Activity: 4270
Merit: 4534
voting is not a problem, centralisation is not a big deal.. the biggest deal is what will the foundation actually achieve??

no point voting on things that will never happen/ have no control over
no point planning things if the expertise is not there
no point having a foundation if its just a worthless entity hosting votes of worthless idea's..

so show us what expertise can be brought to the foundation you propose. and i dont mean coax later, i mean what expertise exists now that will join now happily.
so show us what goals and agenda this new foundation wants to have and what perceived method of completing these goals are.

otherwise its just a forum with alot of polls but no one backing the consensus results of the polls.

im not flaming you for your idea. but please, show some substance
legendary
I wanted to hear peoples thoughts on Me, or someone else creating a new decentralized bitcoin foundation. The foundation would conduct votes in a public manner where each vote is done publicly on the blockchain and can be easily and quickly checked. Since the website it self can not be easily decentralize, my idea is once the site is created and domain bought, I or the creator would randomly generate a new password and then setup a shamir's secret that would require 51% of the board to agree to make any changes to the site or domain.

Please give me any feedback on the idea or any suggestions on how to improve it. Also if you have a good name for the new foundation that would be helpful as well. I was thinking maybe The bitcoin organization or the bitcoin union.
Pages:
Jump to: