Pages:
Author

Topic: thoughts on companies becoming too powerful? - page 6. (Read 7025 times)

Activity: 2814
Merit: 911
Have Fun )@@( Stay Safe
Companies become so big and they have enormous power over us, do you think companies like this should be broken up by the government or be allowed to reign supreme?
Have you reverse engineered the entire process on how these companies has become this huge and powerful, if you understand those basic process you can very well avoid those companies so that their power will vanish in a matter of years, in short you can have many examples of companies who were once powerful gone down to dust, just look at the fate of Nokia, Kodak etc, they are only as powerful as long as people are using their service and if everyone starts avoiding their service they are done for good  Wink.
Activity: 1414
Merit: 271
bitonator.tangled.com/join
I am generally against monopoly. Because it is not good. If there is a technical competition, we will all only benefit from it. And when a big corporation starts dictating its rule to me, I can only say that in the end we will be in bad hands. I think the governments of all the big ones are not that stupid and will try to destroy this monopoly, but that costs us the privile sphere
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1353
As far as I know there has been one is recent memory wherein a government step up and "broke" a company because of monopoly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Microsoft_Corp.

So we have a precedent already, but we have to understand that this will be a long and lengthy battle. And the irony here is that the one who benefited from all of this is the same company that we thought right now has a complete monopoly like Google and Facebook.

Activity: 1330
Merit: 569
Disney has become the media giant and has been on a spending spree for the last decade buying up different ips.

Facebook has been buying up all their competition and is the dominant social media company and nothing else can compete with it.

Companies become so big and they have enormous power over us, do you think companies like this should be broken up by the government or be allowed to reign supreme?

I think its about the law of the country in which they are domiciled and the country in which the business they are buying is also located and the type of business that is to be bought. There are laws especially in Europe though that guides against Companies monopoly i.e for merger or acquisition to happen, it needs to be approved by the regulatory body operating in the capital market who then evaluates the aftermath of such relationship. For Facebook now, I think since it has gone public, it would become a little bit difficult to have such type acquisitions without being checked but if the company can prove that such acquisition would make them better off and not being too 'powerful', there is nothing that would likely stop it.
Activity: 1120
Merit: 554
Disney has become the media giant and has been on a spending spree for the last decade buying up different ips.

Facebook has been buying up all their competition and is the dominant social media company and nothing else can compete with it.

Pages:
Jump to: