Pages:
Author

Topic: Thread about GPU-mining and Litecoin - page 6. (Read 33227 times)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250
February 18, 2012, 01:42:00 AM
Ahimoth has every reason in the world to help spread the FUD and hurt Litecoin.

Ahimoth is the one who made the statement he can post a video of it, so I'm calling him out on it.

Yeah the king of liars crapcoinpress is calling out someone who everyone else would say is honest and decent. Get the popcorn folks because he's about to pop another vein. Fire up the geforce2 mx army Danny boy.
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
February 18, 2012, 01:19:22 AM
lol, i've gone from not caring about to outright disliking solidcoin, mostly due to the loudmouth idiots that support it, and the trolls that attack btc-e chat from the solidcoin irc/forums, not people i would join.
legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000
February 18, 2012, 01:03:56 AM
I wouldn't spend much time on assertions from the Solidcoin camp without seeing the source code. Too many broken promises and sketchy behavior.

Occam says it is probably cut and pasted code with the licenses removed. There is probably bug in the hash rate display (again) making them think they are mining fast. Or they just made the whole thing up.
donator
Activity: 1654
Merit: 1287
Creator of Litecoin. Cryptocurrency enthusiast.
February 18, 2012, 12:35:28 AM
I talked to Ahimoth about his specs. Here they are:

Mainboard: MSI 890FXA-GD70
Processor: AMD Sempron 140
Memory: 2x1GB Corsair DDR3 1333mhz
GPUs: 4x XFX 6950 1GB stock shaders, watercooled, and clocked at 1000mhz core and 1250mhz memory
Power: Corsair AX1200

Hashspeeds:
LTC - 998kh/s (reaper)
BTC - 1624mh/s (cgminer)

Wattage (at the wall):
LTC - 920 watts average
BTC - 950 watts average

The machine makes 1.35 btc every day mining bitcoins.
And it makes 630 ltc every day mining litecoins. At the .0024 exchange rate, that comes out to be 1.51 btc.
So it makes about 10% more mining litecoins as oppose to bitcoins.
Activity: 252
February 17, 2012, 08:48:13 PM
I see nothing correct in your Hashing Algorithm, i've implemented 2.5 faster Version of miner for it (CPU) and due lack of time and profit for mining there is even 3x-8x better implementation of GPU miner for Solidcoin Smiley so it's nothing other Smiley

Yes I'm aware of the improvements that can be made. You'll see the recent economic changes factor in high end CPU/GPU capable of producing close to 3KH/w, maybe a bit over. By the end of January next year the algorithm assumes 4.5KH/w . So if you get your magnifying glass out again I'm sure you'll see something correct.

legendary
Activity: 1204
฿itcoin: Currency of Resistance!
February 17, 2012, 04:40:05 PM
@Coblee

There's no GPU miner for LTC and they know it. Nothing more than FUD and if Ahimoth wants to throw his reputation on a grenade for Coinhunter then so be it.

Think about it, as bad as Coinhunter despises you  and envies Litecoin, do you think for a second he would sit on a GPU miner that would devestate it? Not a chance.

~BCX~

I've talked to mtrlt about. CoinHunter doesn't control him. And he's in it just for profit. He's making more money with his GPUs mining litecoin than bitcoin. So he won't release it without being compensated somehow.

It's true that this could all be FUD, but I respect Ahimoth enough to believe that he wouldn't be lying about this just to spread FUD.

Ahimoth has every reason in the world to help spread the FUD and hurt Litecoin.

Ahimoth is the one who made the statement he can post a video of it, so I'm calling him out on it.

~BCX~

Yes, he needs to post some proof... Otherwise this is just the most recent scam from CH... That jerk.
donator
February 17, 2012, 04:03:52 PM
@Coblee

There's no GPU miner for LTC and they know it. Nothing more than FUD and if Ahimoth wants to throw his reputation on a grenade for Coinhunter then so be it.

Think about it, as bad as Coinhunter despises you  and envies Litecoin, do you think for a second he would sit on a GPU miner that would devestate it? Not a chance.

~BCX~

I've talked to mtrlt about. CoinHunter doesn't control him. And he's in it just for profit. He's making more money with his GPUs mining litecoin than bitcoin. So he won't release it without being compensated somehow.

It's true that this could all be FUD, but I respect Ahimoth enough to believe that he wouldn't be lying about this just to spread FUD.
donator
February 17, 2012, 03:52:27 PM
Please dial it down everyone. Ahimoth and mtrlt, if you can make a video that's great. And can you give me more details on hashrate and which video cards?
Activity: 312
February 17, 2012, 03:36:22 PM
I have little invested in Litecoin, but I say we try changing algorithms.  As GPU mining is no threat right now (especially true if someone releases a GPU miner) we can set the switch over date far enough into the future to give enough time for testing and for people to upgrade.

Of course, we first must find out how the current algorithm has failed in order to make a better one.
Activity: 309
February 17, 2012, 03:31:59 PM
I can supply a picture of the rig if you like, but I know that still won't satisfy. Hell I could even make a video of the rig, and then me starting the miner, and showing hashrate at the pool of your choice, and most of you still wouldn't beleive me. Oh well, I was trying to be helpful by giving coblee some facts, so he could determine if a gpu miner for scrypt was enough of a threat to be concerned about, but it seems nobody wants to hear it. I give up...

a first little step would be to know, which 69xx-cards are inside this nebulous rig...
then i could do some math and compare btc- and ltc-mining wih this rig...
i don't want to have any videos of this  Grin

btw: "to be helpful" sounds just like some propaganda...
Activity: 633
February 17, 2012, 03:10:31 PM
I can supply a picture of the rig if you like, but I know that still won't satisfy. Hell I could even make a video of the rig, and then me starting the miner, and showing hashrate at the pool of your choice, and most of you still wouldn't beleive me. Oh well, I was trying to be helpful by giving coblee some facts, so he could determine if a gpu miner for scrypt was enough of a threat to be concerned about, but it seems nobody wants to hear it. I give up...

I would very much like to see a video of it pointing at pool-x.
Activity: 812
February 17, 2012, 02:57:24 PM
February 17, 2012, 02:39:05 PM
I guess everyone is ignoring my math that it is currently more profitable to mine LTC on a gpu rig than it is to mine bitcoins on that same rig.

Admittedly this is with the gpu miner kept private. If the gpu miner is released to the public, the ltc difficulty will likely increase, making the profit margin smaller, or putting bitcoin back in the lead.
--- in the quote bold by me ---

that may be the truth...

you can post this the whole day long...

but who cares about a private software and the math with it, especially everyone...

Right, we can't verify your numbers without access to said miner.

yeah, you, Ahimoth, claim to have math, but the only thing you do: start stirring the rumor pot.

Edit:
quote/Ahimoth: "A gpu rig consisting of 69xx series gpus can produce 998kh @ 920 watts"

this is indeed some hot air, because noone is able to compare it to btc-mining:
the nebulous 69xx-rig
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
February 17, 2012, 02:33:46 PM
I guess everyone is ignoring my math that it is currently more profitable to mine LTC on a gpu rig than it is to mine bitcoins on that same rig.

Admittedly this is with the gpu miner kept private. If the gpu miner is released to the public, the ltc difficulty will likely increase, making the profit margin smaller, or putting bitcoin back in the lead.

that may be the truth...

but who cares about a private software and the math with it, especially everyone...

Right, we can't verify your numbers without access to said miner.
February 17, 2012, 02:25:26 PM

that may be the truth...

Activity: 812
February 17, 2012, 01:52:16 PM
Anyone like crunching numbers? What would the price of LTC need to be in order to make GPU mining worthwhile? I don't think we're there, but like I said, I haven't run the numbers at all.

easy.. the same rig on bitcoin would make $5.17 daily, whereas on litecoin it would make $6.11 daily. This is according to allchains.info.

Activity: 633
February 17, 2012, 01:43:22 PM
In my opinion, so long as a CPU rig can earn coins at a significant percentage rate of a GPU rig, then Litecoin is serving its purpose.  You have to keep in mind that a $1,000 CPU mining Bitcoin is going to take 60 years to find a block, while a $1,000 GPU rig will take about 2 months.  The CPU rig is .2% as efficient as the GPU rig.

Lots of gibberish on this thread.    A typical current generation quad core cpu will produce 18MH/s a similarly priced (and higher power consumption) GPU will produce perhaps 320 MH/s.    ~20x is nowhere near 500x.

But a $1,000 Bitcoin GPU rig is going to produce over 1GH/s, not 320 MH/s.  So while my memory of what a good CPU will do for Bitcoin might be fuzzy (haven't done it), the overall point remains the same.  GPU mining on BTC has made CPU mining worthless, a money losing endeavor.  All the while, if GPU mining on Litecoin is as good as the rumors claim, CPU mining is still very much worthwhile.
staff
Activity: 4172
Merit: 8419
February 17, 2012, 01:28:42 PM
In my opinion, so long as a CPU rig can earn coins at a significant percentage rate of a GPU rig, then Litecoin is serving its purpose.  You have to keep in mind that a $1,000 CPU mining Bitcoin is going to take 60 years to find a block, while a $1,000 GPU rig will take about 2 months.  The CPU rig is .2% as efficient as the GPU rig.

Lots of gibberish on this thread.    A typical current generation quad core cpu will produce 18MH/s a similarly priced (and higher power consumption) GPU will produce perhaps 320 MH/s.    ~20x is nowhere near 500x.

Activity: 60
Merit: 10
February 17, 2012, 01:22:03 PM
I agree with DeathAndTaxes on this one. It's not worth trying to limit hardware because it's improving all the time. By the end of this year Intel is expected to release their new Knights Corner 50-core CPU. That will be a good one for mining Litecoins, according to Artforz on btc-e. Are you going to try and stifle that one too?

Do you have any hopes of Litecoin ever becoming mainstream? It won't happen while 50% of the mining is done by botnets! That's why the Litecoin price is so low: nobody is going to put any serious money into a botnet currency.

A GPU miner is the best thing that could happen to LTC because botnets don't have GPUs. Let's leave Litecoin as it is and let's get mtrlt to release an open source version of his miner. I read that he spent only a few hours working on it so the Litecoin community should be able to buy it from him. I'm willing to donate 10 BTC towards this goal.

I think you should find out more about why Coblee created litecoin :-

https://github.com/coblee/litecoin/wiki/Comparison-between-Bitcoin-and-Litecoin

For proof of work, Bitcoin uses the highly parallelizable SHA256 hash function, and therefore Bitcoin mining is a GPU-friendly task. Litecoin uses scrypt instead of SHA256 for proof of work. The scrypt hash function uses SHA256 as a subroutine, but it also depends on fast access to large amounts of memory rather than depending just on fast arithmetic operations, so it is hard to run many instances of scrypt in parallel by using the ALUs of a modern graphics card. This means that currently CPU mining is more efficient than GPU mining for Litecoin. In the future, GPUs or other dedicated hardware might prove useful for Litecoin mining, though the improvement over CPUs is likely to be less significant than it was for Bitcoin mining (e.g. 4x speedup instead of 400x speedup).

If your computer already mines bitcoins, then the CPU on that computer is probably idle, so you can simultaneously mine litecoins without affecting the speed in which your GPU mines bitcoins.

Either litecoin is a CPU coin or the major reason for its existence just disappeared?

From the latest stats it appears GPU mining scrypt is 25-35x faster than CPU, is able to be stacked in the same PC and is 6-10x more efficient.

Check out SolidCoins mining page for info on how a correct implementation of CPU/GPU hard algorithm should figure in performance.
http://wiki.solidcoin.info/wiki/Mining_Hardware_Performance

I see nothing correct in your Hashing Algorithm, i've implemented 2.5 faster Version of miner for it (CPU) and due lack of time and profit for mining there is even 3x-8x better implementation of GPU miner for Solidcoin Smiley so it's nothing other Smiley
Activity: 896
Seal Cub Clubbing Club
February 17, 2012, 01:16:28 PM
[04:12:10] <@PooL-X> The expected generation output, at 200 KHps, given current difficulty of 1.5926655, is 126.31 LTC per day, 5.26 LTC per hour, Estimated time to find a block is 9 hours 30 minutes 3 seconds
That's the amount of kh/s mtrlt was saying, or at least an average: that's $1.20 a day.
Now, with my 6870 I get 300mh/s on bitcoin...which earns me an avg of 0.2BTC a day, which is around $1/day
So really they're about equal, if bitcoin price rises any more, it's more worthwhile to mine bitcoins on a GPU.

I believe that quoted 200 KH/s is from a single 6990.  So 126.31 LTC per day from a 6990 equals roughly 0.2808 BTC per day.  You could just as well mine BTC to the tune of around .60XX BTC per day with the same card.  Unless I mis-read where that 200 KH/s came from, you'd really have to squeeze 400 KH/s+ out of a single 6990 before it even begins to become equal to net daily output from mining BTC.
Pages:
Jump to: