Pages:
Author

Topic: Time Does Not Exist - page 3. (Read 1461 times)

legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
April 30, 2014, 01:41:33 PM
I think of it as time does not exist independent of an observer. If all of us were gone tomorrow then there is no time, as it is only our perception that creates time. To some physicists, everything that has, could, or will happen is there. It is our brain that perceives us as moving through these possibilities and causes the phenomena of time.

Mind blowing stuff.  Smiley

Again, you are not proving times existence, you are just stating that it "seems to go by" to you. But again, you are acting like your perception of light, distance, etc matter, when all that matters here is "Is there a substance called time, and if not what exactly are we calling time" and what we are calling time is "Movement and change" which is NOT "time".

Oh, I'm not claiming to understand. I'm at a loss. It is weird though how we think of time as movement. Is it that we are moving through the matrix of possibilities held in some kind of superposition? Hell if I know?
I like how Stephen Hawking asks "how do we know time only moves forward? Would you be able to tell if it stood still or went backwards?"

Can you explain how he thought time could bend? I do not understand that.
The twin paradox is often referred  to for an explanation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_paradox
Activity: 1008
Merit: 515
April 30, 2014, 01:40:36 PM
In that case I partially agree with you.
The concept of time just depends on in what way look at it. We made several concepts that everyone uses.

That is the same with length and math. Why do we say that a certain length is one meter? Just agreements everybody uses.
Activity: 308
Merit: 253
April 30, 2014, 01:37:16 PM
the existence of time is relative, as discovered by albert einstein. there is no objective, true existence of time.

Can you explain how he thought time could bend? I do not understand that.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
April 30, 2014, 01:35:37 PM
the existence of time is relative, as discovered by albert einstein. there is no objective, true existence of time.
April 30, 2014, 01:34:14 PM
I think of it as time does not exist independent of an observer. If all of us were gone tomorrow then there is no time, as it is only our perception that creates time. To some physicists, everything that has, could, or will happen is there. It is our brain that perceives us as moving through these possibilities and causes the phenomena of time.

Again, you are not proving times existence, you are just stating that it "seems to go by" to you. But again, you are acting like your perception of light, distance, etc matter, when all that matters here is "Is there a substance called time, and if not what exactly are we calling time" and what we are calling time is "Movement and change" which is NOT "time".
April 30, 2014, 01:32:29 PM
Indeed, I call it time. I don't know any other word for it.

Are you really saying that between those cell divisions, no time passes?

It is an illusion. Just because it can be marked does not make it real.
I agree with you about the fact that we can't taste, feel or see time.

I never made a point like that.
My point is that it IS NOT REAL. It is an illusion, and you delude yourself into believing it by measuring hundreds and thousands of things and calling that measurement time.
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
April 30, 2014, 01:27:11 PM

April 30, 2014, 01:26:15 PM

I agree with you about the fact that we can't taste, feel or see time.
What we do know about time is that certain things do not happen at the same time. What happened yesterday isn't happening now.

You not experiencing doesn't mean it is not existing.
April 30, 2014, 01:19:22 PM
I have always thought time was an abstract idea constructed by the human mind, like many things. Time supposedly travels forwards yet it is always the present, future and past are just concepts. There is only the eternal now.

That is pretty much what I am saying.
April 30, 2014, 01:18:56 PM

Activity: 448
Merit: 250
April 30, 2014, 01:17:52 PM
I have always thought time was an abstract idea constructed by the human mind, like many things. Time supposedly travels forwards yet it is always the present, future and past are just concepts. There is only the eternal now.
April 30, 2014, 01:16:06 PM

April 30, 2014, 01:13:34 PM
You are saying that time doesn't exist. According to you there is just a 'now' when your cells divides themselves into two.

Let me tell you this:
Human cells can divide up to a maximum of 50 times. Every time a cell divides, the end of the telomeres of the DNA is cut off. If all of the telomeres has been cut off, the cell dies.

Let's say a certain cell has a certain length. It can divide itself 50 times.
After the first celldivision, both cells can only divide 49 times. After another division, the cells can divide 48 times, and so on.
As you can see, time exists. There is a certain point in time where the cell can divide 49 times, and there is a time a cell can divide only e.g. 32 times. In between those situations, time has passed.

Again, you are doing what everyone does.

Just because you get more precise about what is happening, and can measure the splitting down to EXACTLY how "long" each cell lives, you are still just measuring a movement-change and calling it "time"
April 30, 2014, 01:09:12 PM
You are saying that time doesn't exist. According to you there is just a 'now' when your cells divides themselves into two.

Let me tell you this:
Human cells can divide up to a maximum of 50 times. Every time a cell divides, the end of the telomeres of the DNA is cut off. If all of the telomeres has been cut off, the cell dies.

Let's say a certain cell has a certain length. It can divide itself 50 times.
After the first celldivision, both cells can only divide 49 times. After another division, the cells can divide 48 times, and so on.
As you can see, time exists. There is a certain point in time where the cell can divide 49 times, and there is a time a cell can divide only e.g. 32 times. In between those situations, time has passed.
Pages:
Jump to: