Pages:
Author

Topic: Time-line of the MtGox attack - page 2. (Read 4712 times)

unk
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
June 19, 2011, 10:58:33 PM
just for argument's sake, what evidence does the public (anyone outside of mt. gox) have that there even was an attack? how would anyone know that it wasn't a large holder of bitcoins who was trying to sell, hoping to get a decent price from large dark pools he or she suspected existed? then, unhappy with the total price received from the bulk sale, this large holder could have then asked or paid mt. gox to roll things back.

i'm not suggesting that happened, but how would anyone know? many following the live data as it was happening assumed that it was simply a large holder of bitcoins selling, and that's not an unreasonable assumption.

the reason i ask is that people who did act on the data were not unreasonable to do so; a rollback for them is a presumably an odd surprise.
Activity: 124
Merit: 100
June 19, 2011, 10:43:44 PM
Nice timeline. I hadn't read about that big BTC transaction minutes before the MtGox shutdown yet.
mrb
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027
June 19, 2011, 10:32:08 PM
http://blog.zorinaq.com/?e=55

There is a massive amount of information on IRC and the forum threads. Hopefully I have done an okay job at summarizing the attack..
Pages:
Jump to: