Pages:
Author

Topic: TIME TO BUY - page 5. (Read 9108 times)

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783
better everyday ♥
December 26, 2014, 12:10:26 PM
...It is programmable, better money.

That's Bitcoin's biggest problem--it's algorithmically predetermined, it is preprogrammed.  The local paranoid fringe would have you believe that it's a good thing, but it ain't.

Think of it as a clockwork guidance system:  instead of reacting to the terrain like an IRL driver, it only reads instructions from a piano roll: forward two feet, turn 12 degrees left, halve block reward, and so on.  If something gets in its path, there is no way to avoid it, no way alter the course.
Theoretically, it is possible:  If the entire bitcoin network comes to a consensus.  That's like driving a car by consensus--by the time consensus is reached, you're already flying through the windshield.

In short, Bitcoin's a throwback to the days of gold and cowrie shells--when money supply was inelastic & controlled by scarcity.

Modern money is more complex.  It depends on elasticity of supply, which, in turn, depends of having IRL people at the helm.
The Luddite need to undo centuries of innovation to return to cowrie shells seems attractive--everyone understands how cowrie shells work, and simple must be good, amirite?  Why spend years studying economics when a bit of horse sense is enough?  The problem's it ain't Sad

I never do this, but:

+1

Trolls +1'ing trolls, got it!   Cheesy

I guess you two never heard of a "hard fork", or building an application on top of the Bitcoin blockchain protocol layer to address a process or need.

Yea, Bitcoin's stuck in mud and isn't programmable.  Wait, what's that?!!  It's open source?!!   Shocked

Nevermind.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115
December 25, 2014, 04:53:18 PM

That's Bitcoin's biggest problem--it's algorithmically predetermined, it is preprogrammed.  The local paranoid fringe would have you believe that it's a good thing, but it ain't.

Think of it as a clockwork guidance system:  instead of reacting to the terrain like an IRL driver, it only reads instructions from a piano roll: forward two feet, turn 12 degrees left, halve block reward, and so on.  If something gets in its path, there is no way to avoid it, no way alter the course.
Theoretically, it is possible:  If the entire bitcoin network comes to a consensus.  That's like driving a car by consensus--by the time consensus is reached, you're already flying through the windshield.

In short, Bitcoin's a throwback to the days of gold and cowrie shells--when money supply was inelastic & controlled by scarcity.

Modern money is more complex.  It depends on elasticity of supply, which, in turn, depends of having IRL people at the helm.
The Luddite need to undo centuries of innovation to return to cowrie shells seems attractive--everyone understands how cowrie shells work, and simple must be good, amirite?  Why spend years studying economics when a bit of horse sense is enough?  The problem's it ain't Sad

I never do this, but:

+1
legendary
Activity: 2842
Merit: 1511
December 25, 2014, 04:20:16 PM
Absolutely.
Now imagine yourself strapped into the driver's seat, your hands tied behind your back & a comforting "YOU'LL BE JUST FINE, BRAH" flashing sign where the steering column used to be, as it accelerates towards a [newly built] brick wall.  You know exactly what's going to happen, in macabrely minute detail, because laws of motion.

Should be the rite of initiation into manhood. Instead wimps like us swerve and breathe a sigh of relief, but the wall in our rear mirror doesn't vanish nor does it stop being built. Eventually, we will have no choice but to confront it, and when we do our pain will be all the greater. The intractable path of our linear machine is actually a hidden blessing.

If man doesn't even know how to drive a car, today, hardwiring how cars will be driven in the future is just...

Elasticity isn't hardwired which is the element of driving. The rate of inflation is hardwired which is probably like the velocity of the car or some other attribute. It's pretty arbitrarily set, and may (or may not) prove problematic.
Activity: 378
Merit: 254
December 25, 2014, 09:38:34 AM

At least a car that is driverless is predictable by the laws of motion.

Absolutely.
Now imagine yourself strapped into the driver's seat, your hands tied behind your back & a comforting "YOU'LL BE JUST FINE, BRAH" flashing sign where the steering column used to be, as it accelerates towards a [newly built] brick wall.  You know exactly what's going to happen, in macabrely minute detail, because laws of motion.

Further, are we really capable of driving this machine? Centuries of innovation may give us the impression that we have refined control, but I am not one for ever underestimating the hubris of man...

If man doesn't even know how to drive a car, today, hardwiring how cars will be driven in the future is just...
legendary
Activity: 2842
Merit: 1511
December 24, 2014, 10:35:32 PM

At least a car that is driverless is predictable by the laws of motion. Further, are we really capable of driving this machine? Centuries of innovation may give us the impression that we have refined control, but I am not one for ever underestimating the hubris of man...
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
AltoCenter.com
December 22, 2014, 11:52:03 PM
TIME TO INVEST!!!

THAT SHOULD BE THE MOTTO!!!
Activity: 560
Merit: 500
December 22, 2014, 04:11:13 PM
^Serial Troll
Activity: 69
Merit: 10
December 22, 2014, 03:39:34 PM
Your faggatry dwarfs the depravity of Sodom and Gomorrah, my child!

~Rev. FatherBob
December 22, 2014, 03:29:49 PM
FatherBob: "This user is currently ignored."  Cheesy
Activity: 69
Merit: 10
December 22, 2014, 02:50:48 PM
Trolls have that effect on threads

Don't mistake logic for trolling, my son.

~Rev. FatherBob
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1196
Reputation first.
December 22, 2014, 02:40:02 PM
Agree with you. Now is the time to buy and HODL for better times, it's a very bad decision to sell, (Said this in another OP). Anyway, rules is always the same: Don't try to invest more that you can lose. So, keep calm and wait for the raising !
Activity: 728
December 22, 2014, 12:36:38 PM
Wow this is evolving into quite a mess...

Trolls have that effect on threads

The point of the OP was to state that, in my opinion, the price of BTC was stabilizing at these low levels from which -again, in my opinion-, it will spring upside for very significant gains in the near future, with plenty of swing-trade opportunities from higher highs.

This is the feeling the last few weeks have had, for sure
legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000
December 21, 2014, 07:01:20 PM
Wow this is evolving into quite a mess...

The point of the OP was to state that, in my opinion, the price of BTC was stabilizing at these low levels from which -again, in my opinion-, it will spring upside for very significant gains in the near future, with plenty of swing-trade opportunities from higher highs.

The philosophical and technological aspects of the currency-commodity/whatever notwithstanding.
December 20, 2014, 08:55:51 PM
NotLambchop: "This user is currently ignored."  Cheesy
December 20, 2014, 05:41:16 PM
...To be fair, it is possible to change the "program" (aka the protocol) to adapt to changes in the environment (aka fork the network). This has been done before and will almost certainly happen in the future. Modern money does not need to react quickly and can take it's time to change

The things that need to be changed, like rate of emission/inflation (block rewards/block reward halving rate) are very difficult to change through consensus.  Miners won't want to make less coin just because some egghead tells them it's for the greater good.
Activity: 350
December 20, 2014, 05:29:54 PM

To be fair, it is possible to change the "program" (aka the protocol) to adapt to changes in the environment (aka fork the network). This has been done before and will almost certainly happen in the future. Modern money does not need to react quickly and can take it's time to change
December 20, 2014, 05:24:58 PM

legendary
Activity: 961
Merit: 1000
December 20, 2014, 04:43:43 PM
Bitcoin is nothing but a money transfer system and not even easy to use compared to Paypal Smiley Forget the mass adoption, even 50$ BTC is overpriced when you think about how useful it is  Smiley

Even if Bitcoin is ill-suited for instant money transfer, there are a few things that make it (and some alt) unique :
- you are the owner of your coins as long as nobody else knows your private key (so avoid web wallets) ;
- you don't need to trust anybody to store your money ;
- you don't need to be accepted by financial system to receive coins ;
- total amount is capped, and inflation controled meanwhile ;
- there is a good level of anonymity if you stay in legit economy.

So for a value storage system, Bitcoin is a must.

For daily expense, I think we could transfer Bitcoin to a trusted intermediary (bank, Paypal) then use current system. Exposure is limited as you keep owning most part of your coins in your wallet. This is the best of two worlds.

It is time to banking to change their business model.

Typical believer's talk  Smiley How retarded you must be to store value in something that can lose all of it's value within hours  Smiley

Bitcoin is not just a payment system. It is decentralized consensus. It is programmable, better money.

However it does not completely work as money yet as it isn't a real stable store of value at the moment.

The coin is the security of the blockchain and it is expensive to maintain; this is the challenge faced by the bitcoin economy.

It is a battle.
December 20, 2014, 01:37:17 PM
Blind pessimism is when someone is pessimistic when disregarding relevant facts, including additional facts that have come to light since your original stance.

care to take a guess on how that sentence could read if we simply again replace the variable-word pessimism with troll?
Activity: 350
December 20, 2014, 01:25:42 PM
If you guys are buying then either its blind optimism or you have some belief that we are at the bottom of the price drop?  Can I ask what makes you think that?  If you had brought a coin yesterday you could have lost $15 already.  

Do you realize the power bitcoin gives us?
I like the idea of optimism I wouldn't consider it blind optimism because for starters its a insult and it is a way to belittle me for believing in something you cannot afford.
It sounds like for you it is blind optimism. I suspect the same is probably true for many others as well.

the fact that bitcoin will rise substantially in the future is far from certain and there are a number of risks involved in buying/owning bicoin

Blind optimism sounds like a load of crap,sorry bud. The term is made up for one. Secondly if I am interpreting it correctly it would mean I am optimistic about bitcoin for no reason.Or possibly I am optimistic but blind to all the risks of bitcoin. Well,if I am interpreting your terminology perhaps I am not so blind now am I?Thirdly and last of all,Your whole sentence is fucked up honestly,it just subjective,far from certain? Tell me what in life is certain?(rhetoric) And you put emphasis on the uncertainty of bitcoin by using the word FAR conjoined with FROM. WOOOOO. Got news for you Bradley,nothing in life is certain.

Sometimes you get a jack,sometimes you get a queen,only way to find out is tot play.

Either way the term doesnt really correlate,how could someone be blind toward bitcoin and be optimistic. Just another Zero talking out of his ass.

You aren telling me anything I don't know. Difference between me and you? I do things,you talk about doing things. You just sit on your ass and watch. Get your pom poms out and just cheerlead for time bitcoin. We are the future.
[ignoring your nazi grammar comments]

Blind optimism is when someone is optimistic when disregarding relevant facts, including additional facts that have come to light since your original stance.

WHAT? HOW CAN SOMEONE DISREGARD FACTS?Huh IF THEY ARE BLIND TO THEM THEY WOULDNT KNOW THEY ARE FACTS???THEREFOR THIS DOESNT MAKE ANY SENSE SHUT THE FUCK UP
Huh THIS GUY LMAO JUST TRYING TO SOUND SMART WHEN HE IS REALLY A BROKE DUMBASS ON A BITCOIN FORUM BUT DOESNT EVEN OWN BITCOIN WHAT KIND OF SHIT IS THIS?
I don't think you are understanding my point. The point is that blind optimism is that, regardless of the facts surrounding a situation, they will take a specific stance. It is not that they do not know that something is a fact, it is that they do not take the fact into consideration.
Pages:
Jump to: