Pages:
Author

Topic: Time to Move Bitcoin 2.0 tech (Counterparty/Mastercoin) out of "Alt Coins" - page 2. (Read 4180 times)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100
Well, one problem is that altcoin developers will simply build their coins using the Bitcoin blockchain so that they can call it "Bitcoin 2.0 technology" and avoid being lumped in with all the other coins in the altcoin section.

The other thing is, "Bitcoin 2.0 technology" is a very misleading phrase. Mastercoin/counterparty are not part of or "officially" supported by the Bitcoin protocol specification nor are they included in the reference client. It's possible future changes to the Bitcoin protocol or reference client could break them.

Bitcoin has been studied carefully by some of the most respected cryptographers in the world, these other projects (by projects I am referring to all altcoins/technologies) have as of yet not been and could have really dangerous flaws (intentionally or unintentionally) for all we know. In the early days of Bitcoin serious problems were discovered such as the time billions of BTC were mined in a single block requiring a hard-fork.

Until these other projects have been carefully audited/studied it is obviously a bad idea to be trusting them with millions of real dollars like people are right now, they need to grow slowly and naturally and people should know using them carries significant risk. Calling them Bitcoin 2.0 is not only misleading but extremely dangerous as people may think that they are officially part of Bitcoin and have been carefully studied since 2009 (technically since 1998 as Bitcoin is clearly based off of Nick Szabo's work on Bitgold), which they have not.

You may claim that mastercoin/counterparty are different to other altcoins but they carry much of the same risks until the projects have matured as much as Bitcoin has. Taking them out of the altcoin section sort of implies they are safer, when they are not.

PS. about the thread being moved, I didn't even see it until it was moved to Meta. I honestly think more people will see it here and it is clearly the correct section.
EFS
staff
Activity: 3822
Merit: 2123
Crypto Swap Exchange
Wow this got buried from the front page to > Other > Meta in record time. Compared to the nonsense that gets posted up top no one has a chance to do any real bitcoin discussion anymore. WTF?

This discussion is about BitcoinTalk forum and it belongs to Meta.

Edit: BadBear already explained it.
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
Wow this got buried from the front page to > Other > Meta in record time. Compared to the nonsense that gets posted up top no one has a chance to do any real bitcoin discussion anymore. WTF?

Evidently not. The sad thing is... I've never came across a thread about Countypary or Bitcoin 2.0 Tech, because I'd be all over it! Lol. I'm constantly checking the latest posts, but I only go through the first couple of pages. Of course it only takes a new thread a minute before it's on page 6

But this makes your point, I get it.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1128
Moving it to Meta isn't "burying" it. It's for discussion about the forum, and the people who moderate and administrate the forum check it regularly. Posting elsewhere makes it much less likely for it to be seen. For example, I have the entire Meta board added to my watchlist, so any new threads created here immediately pop up on my watchlist (threads moved here do not), and I'm able to react to threads that need a moderator's attention much faster. Bitcoin Discussion? Not so much. You're only hurting your chances of a response by intentionally posting threads in the wrong section.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME
Activity: 688
Merit: 500
ヽ( ㅇㅅㅇ)ノ ~!!
agreed, these are definitely a different "market" and interest group than most alts.

maybe a bit presumptuous to call it "bitcoin 2.0" though.
legendary
If altcoins such as Counterparty and Mastercoin don't like being in the "AltCoin cesspool", their users are welcome to create their own forum.

No need to clutter up bitcointalk with counterpartytalk and/or mastercointalk.

I would agree, except neither of them really are so large yet to be able to support their own forum successfully in a proactive way. What if there were a "Bitcoin 2.0" section on it's own, separate from the Alt-coin section. The problem being the Alt-Coin section is that it's just so much crap it's impossible to see the forest for the tree's. It's a nightmare and it impedes these projects ability to connect with other bitcoin 2.0 interested people.

There are so many fascinating Bitcoin 2.0 technologies coming out that should still be kept under the Bitcointalk umbrella. If overstock for example does go through with a stock offering using Bitcoin, it's going to be through one of these Bitcoin 2.0 technologies. Why not keep that discussion here?

Bitcoin 2.0 Technologies are core future features of bitcoin- however they shape up to be implemented and they will serve to make bitcoin much, much, stronger if they succeed.

As for what is considered Bitcoin 2.0 Technologies- i would argue it's anything built off the Bitcoin Blockchain. If it starts with Bitcoin, it's Bitcoin. If it doesn't start with Bitcoin, then it isn't. Tree-chains, side-chains themselves might be a bit blurry as to where they fit, but they should still fit under the Bitcointalk umbrella. What Bitcoin does and Bitcoin 2.0 Techs do, has repercussions for both parties, they should be able to open discuss here.
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 4794
If altcoins such as Counterparty and Mastercoin don't like being in the "AltCoin cesspool", their users are welcome to create their own forum.

No need to clutter up bitcointalk with counterpartytalk and/or mastercointalk.

Note: This discussion belongs in "Meta"
Activity: 381
Merit: 250
It's time to move Bitcoin 2.0 Technologies like Mastercoin and Counterparty out of the AltCoin cesspool. These are legitimate BITCOIN technologies, built on bitcoin, using bitcoin, supporting bitcoin and promoting bitcoin.

I understand the rational that AltCoins shouldn't be up here in the normal Bitcoin Talk but these days Bitcoin 2.0 Tech is a big part of the future of Bitcoin. For goodness sake Overstock is thinking about distributing Shares of their company via the blockchain!

It's time to take Mastercoin and Counterparty out of the At-Coin section. These are in many ways the future of bitcoin and it no longer makes sense to treat them like some sort of random scam coin.

I agree with this, only issue I see is who is going too make the call on what is considered just an Altcoin and what is Bitcoin 2.0 technology. If this were too happen, I could see us needing specific boards for the most popular blockchains, under the Altcoin Section or some other new section. For most of us it is pretty easy to distinguish a technology like Ether compared to a coin like DOGE.

This type of expansion reminds me of what happened to: http://forums.d2jsp.org/ - this just started out for Diablo 2 trading, but now has evolved into a trading forum for many popular games.
legendary
It's time to move Bitcoin 2.0 Technologies like Mastercoin and Counterparty out of the AltCoin cesspool. These are legitimate BITCOIN technologies, built on bitcoin, using bitcoin, supporting bitcoin and promoting bitcoin.

I understand the rational that AltCoins shouldn't be up here in the normal Bitcoin Talk but these days Bitcoin 2.0 Tech is a big part of the future of Bitcoin. For goodness sake Overstock is thinking about distributing Shares of their company via the blockchain!

It's time to take Mastercoin and Counterparty out of the At-Coin section. These are in many ways the future of bitcoin and it no longer makes sense to treat them like some sort of random scam coin.
Pages:
Jump to: