Pages:
Author

Topic: Tips for cold storage? - page 2. (Read 3053 times)

legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000
November 05, 2015, 06:34:56 AM
hardware wallets are an option but i would not go for these if i were you, if you want to store for long time the of course not they are good flash drives but still  flash drive which can be currepted and after all its an electronic device it can fail, paper wallet is they way to go
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
November 05, 2015, 06:30:34 AM
So I grabbed a few BTC and I want to put them into cold storage for a while. I have been browsing and I think that a wallet that gives me a 12 word seed phrase would be best. I am thinking about Electrum. Would you guys agree or do you have any better (if possible free) alternatives?

Thank you!

Electrum is good to go.I would also write down the keys somewhere and hide it safe.It is better to have 2-3 different methods of saving your coins in cold storage. I also recommend to safe the wallet.dat at least two times if you use usb or external hard disk drives.
Agree to that. Saving your paper wallet in a truly safe place is essential to ensure your Bitcoins security. Hackers and thieves are adapting to the latest technologies. Any place off-grid seems more secure than the traditional ones online.
Activity: 182
November 04, 2015, 05:50:56 PM
+1 for Electrum

You can easily take your wallet.dat file and save it on a USB somewhere and then delete it from your computer
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068
October 30, 2015, 09:57:38 PM
Remember to set your cold wallet as "only read" when you connect it to internet for updating...
I fail to see how it would help. A malware can still infect your computer and capture whatever information needed. Or in theory could damage the randomness ot signing of your transaction. (It's in theory, not sure if possible)
Recently I set up cold storage for my funds. What I did was I set up a spare Raspberry Pi and I installed Electrum onto it which acted as the storage its self.
Since I have the addresses on my main PC to send the funds to, I don't intend to turn on that Raspberry Pi until I need the funds out of that wallet.
There isn't a need to connect it to the internet unless there are protocol changes on the signing of the transactions. You can download the transaction from an online computer and sign it on the offline computer then broadcast it on the online computer.

And if that even happen you can update the software offline anyways, pretty much the same way you plug your usb key from one computer to the other to sign the transaction.

All in all Armory is indeed very handy. Which is the one i would use to do this.
legendary
Activity: 2982
Merit: 4193
October 30, 2015, 09:54:58 PM
Remember to set your cold wallet as "only read" when you connect it to internet for updating...
I fail to see how it would help. A malware can still infect your computer and capture whatever information needed. Or in theory could damage the randomness of signing of your transaction. (It's in theory, not sure if possible)
Recently I set up cold storage for my funds. What I did was I set up a spare Raspberry Pi and I installed Electrum onto it which acted as the storage its self.
Since I have the addresses on my main PC to send the funds to, I don't intend to turn on that Raspberry Pi until I need the funds out of that wallet.
There isn't a need to connect it to the internet unless there are protocol changes on the signing of the transactions. You can download the transaction from an online computer and sign it on the offline computer then broadcast it on the online computer.
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
October 30, 2015, 06:23:44 PM
First of all you should pick what software will you use to generate the cold wallet Keys.

Second and most important: you should create your cold wallet keys offline.

You might wanna use ARMORY
Activity: 322
ICO Chicken Dinner :)
October 30, 2015, 05:08:26 PM
I think hardware wallets are only a waste of money.
Instead I suggest to use Electrum in its portable version. Just put the wallet in an USB and keep this device in a safe place.
For better security you should write your seed in 3 or 4 different places ( for example a sheet, a file on another USB and of course your brain too  Wink ) .
Imho acting this way your coins will stay very safe.
Activity: 378
October 30, 2015, 03:22:18 PM
One thing to keep in mind is to not keep your eggs in one basket. Diversify your funds in different cold storage methods.
legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014
October 30, 2015, 02:49:24 PM
So I grabbed a few BTC and I want to put them into cold storage for a while. I have been browsing and I think that a wallet that gives me a 12 word seed phrase would be best. I am thinking about Electrum. Would you guys agree or do you have any better (if possible free) alternatives?

Thank you!
You dont need pass phrases, its not vanilla bitcoin. Plain and simple paper wallet is good enough, laminated tho to not beign easily, damaged Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068
October 30, 2015, 02:29:43 PM

Thank you!

a hardware wallet is good too:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/overview-bitcoin-hardware-wallets-secure-your-coins-899253

If you have your own spare computer you can use that as a cold hardware wallet too. Basically run Armory on a 100% offline computer and us it to sign transaction in the rare case you need to.

Cold storage is pretty much for storing BTC for a long period of time so you could even do this on a VM, for the same level of security.

Actual hardware wallets are good when you move a lot of BTC often. So i see them more useful for hot wallets than cold storage.
Activity: 420
October 30, 2015, 02:28:31 PM
hardware wallet would be the best but if you cant afford it you can use armory on your computer or something like that i think
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011
In Satoshi I Trust
October 30, 2015, 02:03:39 PM

Thank you!

a hardware wallet is good too:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/overview-bitcoin-hardware-wallets-secure-your-coins-899253
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1267
In Memory of Zepher
October 30, 2015, 01:39:22 PM
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
October 30, 2015, 01:20:02 PM
Paper wallets are as bout as cold as it gets. You set up one print it off from a safe printer, and make it on a computer that is for sure clean and has no malware/virus problems.

You put this away in a safe, or safty deposit box.  Something very secure to hold it, also have a few copies in case as you don't want one copy incase something happens to it.

But then use a phone app, or blockchain to view your address without having access to your account.  it is nice since you can watch it hopefully grow and not have to worry about connecting to internet and becoming a hot wallet each time you want to see how much you have.
copper member
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499
No I dont escrow anymore.
October 30, 2015, 12:35:28 PM
-snip-

You dont connect to the internet for updates with a cold wallet. The point is that its offline, you dont need updates on an offline system.
Activity: 392
Merit: 251
Bitcoin Faucet & Blog
October 30, 2015, 12:05:53 PM

Thank you!

Electrum is a very recommended wallet.

But just the cold wallet is not enough.

You should think about backup, antivirus protection, firewall...

legendary
Activity: 2982
Merit: 4193
October 30, 2015, 09:44:19 AM

Thank you!
What i use for cold storage is this:
1. Put your bitcoins into blockchain.info.
2. Generate a paper wallet for your address which contains your bitcoins.
3. Get a print of the paper wallet.
4. Delete the address from blockchain and again put the address online as watch only.
5. Keep the paper wallet safe and use it to retrieve the bitcoins when you need it.
Blockchain.info stores your private key encrypted on their server. You aren't supposed to let any third party know about your private key, whether encrypted or not. I would go for bitaddress.org instead.

I would go for Electrum on a offline computer if I want full security and broadcast transaction on another computer separately.
But after you delete the address from you wallet they delete the encrypted private keys too(that's what i know, correct me if i am wrong).
They may. I'm not too sure about that. Even though the code is opensourced, they could easily change the server such that it doesn't completely erase the private key. Still, you would not be able to securely generate your keys since they can easily capture it. There was once a vulnerability which affected the RNG and costed user lots of BTC(Update was pushed without acknowledgement of users). I wouldn't take the chance.
Just dropped a support request to blockchain.info regarding this thing(don't know if they will reply or not). Also, to my knowledge the returned back the users what they had lost.
Yes they did. It happened to android wallet recently too. Do you think its acceptable? No for me. Refunding the losses is one thing, not learning from their mistakes is another. Furthermore, both of the incidents could have been prevented easily.
legendary
Activity: 1184
Merit: 1013
October 30, 2015, 09:38:13 AM

Thank you!
What i use for cold storage is this:
1. Put your bitcoins into blockchain.info.
2. Generate a paper wallet for your address which contains your bitcoins.
3. Get a print of the paper wallet.
4. Delete the address from blockchain and again put the address online as watch only.
5. Keep the paper wallet safe and use it to retrieve the bitcoins when you need it.
Blockchain.info stores your private key encrypted on their server. You aren't supposed to let any third party know about your private key, whether encrypted or not. I would go for bitaddress.org instead.

I would go for Electrum on a offline computer if I want full security and broadcast transaction on another computer separately.
But after you delete the address from you wallet they delete the encrypted private keys too(that's what i know, correct me if i am wrong).
They may. I'm not too sure about that. Even though the code is opensourced, they could easily change the server such that it doesn't completely erase the private key. Still, you would not be able to securely generate your keys since they can easily capture it. There was once a vulnerability which affected the RNG and costed user lots of BTC(Update was pushed without acknowledgement of users). I wouldn't take the chance.
Just dropped a support request to blockchain.info regarding this thing(don't know if they will reply or not). Also, to my knowledge the returned back the users what they had lost.
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
October 30, 2015, 09:25:54 AM
You might want to go with a secure physical storage as well. I like to place an un-encrypted copy of my cold wallet on a thumb drive then place it in a safe deposit box at the bank. It's one of the few services banks sill have to offer me.
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
October 30, 2015, 09:25:29 AM
the only tip i would give is to hide it in a safe place i think
Pages:
Jump to: