Pages:
Author

Topic: Tips on how I controlled my Gambling addiction. - page 4. (Read 447 times)

copper member
Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071
https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory
I am glad at how much change you did just to avoid it but isn't it too much to ignore friends? You can still text them or whatever means to contact them but it doesn't mean you have to meet and gamble again. They are still your friends and they have the right to know what's happening to you so that they won't worry.

If most of what they did was gamble and pressure each other to then it might not be much of a loss for op. Also I'd think trying to get past the addiction would be more important than those friends at least for the first couple of months/years. If gambling was a big part of their group/life then op or the group might feel rejected if they go back too soon too.

1. Get medical Help
2. Contact the Gambling help section in their country, you can even talk online to the experts
3. Make sure you do not use the website by collectively banning them from your phone/account.

The medical help could point in this direction but I think addictions are easiest to replace with an enjoyable hobby (as long as you pick the right one - especially if there's similar aspects to the previous addiction; such as the social aspect op mentioned).
legendary
Activity: 2352
Merit: 1041
Smart is not enough, there must be skills
I know every gambler will definitely have the same problem but it can be controlled how from my own desires, I have also experienced it but I have never left gambling but I know my own limits and emotional control so that it doesn't plunge me into making a loss that spends everything .

I do this gradually and often discuss with friends or other relatives how to prevent but not give up gambling, it is certainly a long process.
Now that I understand and never push myself just because I want to gamble, I interpret this as my pleasure or hobby that doesn't hurt me, meaning I use the money I have prepared.
But after all there must be an intention in us that addiction is a dangerous thing.
Activity: 1400
Merit: 259
It's just always been the mentality. You can still watch football if that's the sport that you really love but you only have to stop the urge of betting at every game. Your football stars might get sad if they knew one of their fans is not supporting them anymore or literally just watching their games.
There's nothing wrong in that.
I am glad at how much change you did just to avoid it but isn't it too much to ignore friends? You can still text them or whatever means to contact them but it doesn't mean you have to meet and gamble again. They are still your friends and they have the right to know what's happening to you so that they won't worry.
Activity: 1862
Merit: 830
Not everyone can do that honestly, leaving their friends and relocating from the area is a big step and does need a lot of money and emotional support as well. Therefore I do think what you did was admirable and at the same time it is specific to your situation, therefore people have to understand that all situations are pretty much individual so what worked for you couldn't have worked for someone else since they might not have the required investment. Thus I do think that one can always :
1. Get medical Help
2. Contact the Gambling help section in their country, you can even talk online to the experts
3. Make sure you do not use the website by collectively banning them from your phone/account.
Activity: 1694
Merit: 516
4•
Relocating from my house to another area where my friends could not find me easily because there was this pressure from them why I
     suddenly started to ingnoring them so I had to relocate.

First of all congratulations on beating your gambling addiction. We have several addiction problems in our family, I know that any form of addiction is hard to overcome. My cousin is struggling with drug addiction and lives for more than two years on a farm now because he cat be alone. My uncle is addicted to cigarettes and tried probably 15 times to stop already. It's very hard to overcome an addiction on your. Reading through the things that helped you to get better I especially feel the last part. You write that "friends" give you pressure to gamble more, that really hurts because I had similar experiences in the past. It might be hard to realise but they are not real friends. If friends try to convince you to do things that are bad for you, they are no real friends and we need to avoid them. I had people like that around me in high-school who wanted to go out drinking every night. It took me a long time to realise they are no friends who actually help me.
Activity: 2240
Merit: 175
#SWGT PRE-SALE IS LIVE
I'm glad that you did it, you are not yet fallen into a compulsive gambler, and don't need a physician to cure yourself of addiction, every one of us has ways to solve your addiction, and you're lucky to find yourself your own ways to control your addiction keep doing that and you will not fall into a compulsive gambler, remember an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.
legendary
Activity: 2702
Merit: 1220
Good action taken because from that you can really get out slowly on gambling and also maybe if you have excess money on hand or you are using your debit or credit card better cut it because sometimes if you have money you will get urge to gamble especially when you hear some news about it especially if you accidentally see a big event on mainstream media. But since you already do a big move to take care on your addiction for sure you became a freeman in next couple of months.
Activity: 1918
Merit: 564
Good move there.  I believe you have the iron will to fix your gambling addiction.  It is good that you identified the problem sooner and are able to admit and undergo self-treatment. 

HOW I DID GET TO SOLVING THAT PROBLEM

4•
Relocating from my house to another area where my friends could not find me easily because there was this pressure from them why I

Lol, it looks like you and your friends are very close.  Sadly they influenced you in the wrong way.   Friends like that should be avoided and it's a great thing that you decided to move out because I believe there will be an issue if you just ignore them and did not move away.
copper member
Activity: 2744
Merit: 1250
Try Gunbot for a month go to -> https://gunbot.ph
Identifying that you have a problem in the first place is a great initial step. I think you should discuss in more detail how you have become now and not just saying that you stopped and that’s it. Addiction is very hard to stop and that’s a challenge for everyone. It’s not an easy task to do so maybe you can share a more specific detail to what are the things that you have experienced that made it hard. Maybe then people can realize WHY it’s important to stop.
Activity: 784
Merit: 544
‌They said when you identify a problem then the solution is possible. Addition is a Big problem to Most gamblers out there and one very big challenge with gamblers is that they don't even get to notice they're already addicted to gambling even when they're told , I was a victim even to the extent I used most of my University school fees to gamble back days until when I realized myself and put a permanent stop to my addiction and now Play moderately.
 I have a lot of friends too currently involved into same addiction whom I have made necessary efforts to getting them out only few were able to buy the idea. So I'm talking from the point of experience. However, After lots of advice from my friends who saw where I was headed to coupled with the last bet that almost got me drop out of school then, had me took that bold decision.

HOW I DID GET TO SOLVING THAT PROBLEM

1•
I penalized myself by having myself deassociated from all kind of gambling friends and taking up a new friends who was into Bitcoin and have that time transferred to things related to crypto currency activities and it was actually part of what lead me into my discovery of Bitcoin and today here I am.

2•
I stopped visiting betting shops in my locality and online betting sites too.

3•
I stopped myself from watching football and anything related to footballing activities for months and I used those time to engage in
 other valuable things like going to the gym and reading more books during the time when there are important football matches going on.

4•
Pages:
Jump to: