Pages:
Author

Topic: [TLS] Tlascoin | CPU| POW / NEW Twister algo | NO PREMINE| Exchange - page 12. (Read 24574 times)

Activity: 17
Merit: 0
WTS tlascoin 1000:0.05BTC, want to buy plz PM me
Activity: 616
Merit: 251
CPU only and already talk of GPU miners. Oh yesh such succes will come  Roll Eyes
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
Not bad with that CPU only mining idea.
Activity: 100
Merit: 10
 Cry who can give me minerd.
Activity: 503
Merit: 100
Mining over night only 1 block found. It's hard to solo mining now, someone please setup the pool!
Activity: 159
[14:13] squaggle: And, more generally, that hash function is a speed benchmark of sprintf.
[14:13] curiouser: yeah seems pretty silly
[14:13] squaggle: sprintf is called 32 times every iteration of the loop.

This is the part that is more worrisome to me. I didn't benchmark, but all the sprintf's and string conversions are extremely slow. Is this deliberate attempt to slow down mining in the wallets/daemons?

Pretty much yeah
legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001
itkylin.com
E3 1230 V3

getmininginfo

{
"blocks" : 3345,
"currentblocksize" : 1000,
"currentblocktx" : 0,
"difficulty" : 0.36285969,
"errors" : "",
"generate" : true,
"genproclimit" : -1,
"hashespersec" : 14577,
"networkhashps" : 12772798,
"pooledtx" : 0,
"testnet" : false
}
Activity: 63
Merit: 10
[14:13] squaggle: And, more generally, that hash function is a speed benchmark of sprintf.
[14:13] curiouser: yeah seems pretty silly
[14:13] squaggle: sprintf is called 32 times every iteration of the loop.

This is the part that is more worrisome to me. I didn't benchmark, but all the sprintf's and string conversions are extremely slow. Is this deliberate attempt to slow down mining in the wallets/daemons?
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
http://crypto-cartel.com/tlascoin-tls-cpu-currently-coin-twister-algo/
Put a post up on my blog about the coin. It's not much but we're all trying.
Donations appreciated  Smiley TCHzpNCFjtW6XAiuJnc9pUgVhMVwMPi6zX
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008
/dev/null
That is, no pool can only solo mining?

You are strong, you will come up is not it? All the miners will thank you. Grin
hmm, from what I read, it says anyone mining this coin at the moment is getting screwed by dev  Grin
(miner or not not a good coin to mine)

Or the dev is not sufficiently careful to be trusted with your money, either way.

The quote from ypool is correct.  The hash function throws away half of the intermediate state generated by the first sha256:

sha256(block stuff) --> hash1
   twister(half of hash1) --> hash2
   sha256(hash2) --> hash3

Thus, it's really only a 128 bit hash, not a 256 bit hash -- there are only 2^128 possible inputs to the second sha256, and thus, only 2^128 possible outputs.  Numerically, this is probably not a critical weakness, but it's incredibly uncareful design.  It also means that there are all sorts of ways to optimize the hash function well beyond what's in the built-in miner.

If you go beyond that, Twister was rejected from the sha3 competition for having substantial flaws.  That doesn't outright make it inappropriate in a PoW function, but it should raise substantial questions -- all other features being equal, I would consider a coin that did sha256(), x(), sha256() slightly better if it used a stronger hash function for 'x' than one that seemed like it was already going down the path of having some cryptographic weaknesses.  There's no reason to think that Twister makes this weaker than just dual sha256, but it should raise serious questions about the purpose for the coin's existence.

This is a technically poor coin / PoW design.

GROUNDLESS ACCUSATIONS!

and I do not think there is any flaw in my code.

I do not think the word "groundless" means what you think it does.  Allow me to more concretely ground my statements so that you might understand them better:

- Wallet source code showing the code as I copy/pasted it:

https://github.com/tlas/tlascoin/blob/41921a44f7cc504d2c2d114edef026a58c1b43f7/src/hash.h#L17

Hasht1( 256, (const unsigned char*)hash1.ToString().c_str(),256, hashval );

You call ToString(), which creates a 64 byte hex representation of the hash.  You then pass it to Hasht1, specifying a length of 256 bits (32 bytes).

The second claim I made was that Twister was rejected as a SHA3 candidate.  Citation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NIST_hash_function_competition

"The following non-conceded Round One entrants have had substantial cryptographic weaknesses announced"
 ... Twister ...

Which of these statements do you believe to be factually incorrect?

But the last round SHA256 ensure the safety.

Only half the "safety" because your entropy is halfed.

If i throw char[2] into sha256(), it aint safe! (as example)

Your weakening sha256 by this.

PS: there is still a pull req which you can/should accept Wink
Activity: 503
Dual E5-2620 Smiley

{
"blocks" : 2978,
"currentblocksize" : 1000,
"currentblocktx" : 0,
"difficulty" : 0.21028127,
"errors" : "",
"generate" : true,
"genproclimit" : -1,
"hashespersec" : 36181,
"networkhashps" : 11331382,
"pooledtx" : 0,
"testnet" : false
}
dga
Activity: 737
Merit: 511

hmm, from what I read, it says anyone mining this coin at the moment is getting screwed by dev  Grin

Or the dev is not sufficiently careful to be trusted with your money, either way.

The quote from ypool is correct.  The hash function throws away half of the intermediate state generated by the first sha256:

sha256(hash2) --> hash3

Thus, it's really only a 128 bit hash, not a 256 bit hash -- there are only 2^128 possible inputs to the second sha256, and thus, only 2^128 possible outputs.  Numerically, this is probably not a critical weakness, but it's incredibly uncareful design.  It also means that there are all sorts of ways to optimize the hash function well beyond what's in the built-in miner.

If you go beyond that, Twister was rejected from the sha3 competition for having substantial flaws.  That doesn't outright make it inappropriate in a PoW function, but it should raise substantial questions -- all other features being equal, I would consider a coin that did sha256(), x(), sha256() slightly better if it used a stronger hash function for 'x' than one that seemed like it was already going down the path of having some cryptographic weaknesses.  There's no reason to think that Twister makes this weaker than just dual sha256, but it should raise serious questions about the purpose for the coin's existence.

GROUNDLESS ACCUSATIONS!

I do not think the word "groundless" means what you think it does.  Allow me to more concretely ground my statements so that you might understand them better:

https://github.com/tlas/tlascoin/blob/41921a44f7cc504d2c2d114edef026a58c1b43f7/src/hash.h#L17

You call ToString(), which creates a 64 byte hex representation of the hash.  You then pass it to Hasht1, specifying a length of 256 bits (32 bytes).

The second claim I made was that Twister was rejected as a SHA3 candidate.  Citation:

"The following non-conceded Round One entrants have had substantial cryptographic weaknesses announced"
 ... Twister ...

My original post was very clear about this:

"If you go beyond that, Twister was rejected from the sha3 competition for having substantial flaws.  That doesn't outright make it inappropriate in a PoW function, but it should raise substantial questions -- all other features being equal, I would consider a coin that did sha256(), x(), sha256() slightly better if it used a stronger hash function for 'x' than one that seemed like it was already going down the path of having some cryptographic weaknesses.  There's no reason to think that Twister makes this weaker than just dual sha256, but it should raise serious questions about the purpose for the coin's existence."

Please go re-read my critique and think about it before responding in anger.  As the English phrase says, "don't shoot the messenger" -- it is not my fault that your code has flaws.  As the developer, it is YOUR responsibility to ensure both the implementation and cryptographic security of your coin.  If you're unwilling to do that, your coin should not exist.
Activity: 14

hmm, from what I read, it says anyone mining this coin at the moment is getting screwed by dev  Grin

The quote from ypool is correct.  The hash function throws away half of the intermediate state generated by the first sha256:

sha256(hash2) --> hash3

Thus, it's really only a 128 bit hash, not a 256 bit hash -- there are only 2^128 possible inputs to the second sha256, and thus, only 2^128 possible outputs.  Numerically, this is probably not a critical weakness, but it's incredibly uncareful design.  It also means that there are all sorts of ways to optimize the hash function well beyond what's in the built-in miner.

If you go beyond that, Twister was rejected from the sha3 competition for having substantial flaws.  That doesn't outright make it inappropriate in a PoW function, but it should raise substantial questions -- all other features being equal, I would consider a coin that did sha256(), x(), sha256() slightly better if it used a stronger hash function for 'x' than one that seemed like it was already going down the path of having some cryptographic weaknesses.  There's no reason to think that Twister makes this weaker than just dual sha256, but it should raise serious questions about the purpose for the coin's existence.

GROUNDLESS ACCUSATIONS!

I do not think the word "groundless" means what you think it does.  Allow me to more concretely ground my statements so that you might understand them better:

You call ToString(), which creates a 64 byte hex representation of the hash.  You then pass it to Hasht1, specifying a length of 256 bits (32 bytes).

The second claim I made was that Twister was rejected as a SHA3 candidate.  Citation:

... Twister ...

dga

sha256(hash2) --> hash3

GROUNDLESS ACCUSATIONS!

... Twister ...

Activity: 10
I can´t connect. Did the settings change?
if any flaw in this coin code,this coin will be the only one solo coin!!!so interesting!!!!
Activity: 14

sha256(hash2) --> hash3

GROUNDLESS ACCUSATIONS!

this is nice coin,but why no have miner and pool,where hava much of the programmer?
dga

sha256(hash2) --> hash3

legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008
/dev/null
WTS 10K TLS for 0.2 BTC for all.

Fablio2 is bad trader, We talked business about 0.1 BTC = 10K LTS, and I send he 0.1 BTC, now he just selling my 2500 LTS,

and he returned my 0.075 BTC, Bad faith! Cry
use the trust system and mark him as scammer
Pages:
Jump to: