Pages:
Author

Topic: To Electrum 2FA wallet users and other bitcoin 2FA wallet users - page 2. (Read 310 times)

Activity: 868
Merit: 1094
Is all Bitcoin software wallet provide 2FA feature which is provided by Google? I doubt about it.
This is what I am talking about, they should stop using google authenticator. Better ones like Aegis can be used.

2FA is unnecessary on a wallet like Electrum. If you want the safety of multi-sig, then just set up your own multi-sig. It is safer and cheaper to do so, as well as giving you more redundancy in your back ups.
I like it that you said this for people to know that cold wallet and multisig is better and nothing like third party. But I am just saying that people should know about the present app update of google, that it will synchronize 2FA code to google cloud. This is how I created it before, but it was moved to off-topic. I only just look for ways it will be on a board that more people will visit.

However, 2FA should be mandatory for any and all online accounts which use it. If you can, use a hardware key. If you can't, then use a good open source 2FA app such as Aegis for Android or Tofu for iOS. You should try to avoid any and all Google products under all circumstances - they are notorious for harvesting your data, they are generally closed source, poor security, and just love sending all your sensitive data to random servers around the world of "safe keeping". Google's 2FA app is no different. Avoid it.
This is what I want people to be aware of. Some people will save their username, password, 2FA code on google cloud, what then remain if such people's device are compromised.

2FA may be on another device, but if it synchronized with google and the email used is on the device that has been compromised, all the hacker needs is to download google 2FA app and get access to the OTPs.
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 2971
Block halving is coming.
Google 2FA is just an extra security layer for securing the wallet if it requires syncing online and I think it won't be a problem if you can able to disable the cloud service to sync 2FA backups.

There is option called "Use without an account" where you can use the Google authenticator offline.

And this is not the only authenticator app that we can use.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18586
2FA is unnecessary on a wallet like Electrum. If you want the safety of multi-sig, then just set up your own multi-sig. It is safer and cheaper to do so, as well as giving you more redundancy in your back ups.

However, 2FA should be mandatory for any and all online accounts which use it. If you can, use a hardware key. If you can't, then use a good open source 2FA app such as Aegis for Android or Tofu for iOS. You should try to avoid any and all Google products under all circumstances - they are notorious for harvesting your data, they are generally closed source, poor security, and just love sending all your sensitive data to random servers around the world of "safe keeping". Google's 2FA app is no different. Avoid it.
Activity: 602
Merit: 638
I noticed this on my Android phone. When I updated my Authenticator app, I received a notification of my account being recently imported. When I checked, it was my 2 marked accounts to 2 exchanges, which I shared weeks ago.

Noticing this, I have to move and change all my 2FAC on the connected device to the one on my iPhone, which has no email connected to it, just a few other apps. I guess it's safer there since I don't have any intention to connect any mail to it, and I barely use the device as well.
Activity: 658
Merit: 354
I stand with Ukraine!
It is about bitcoin users that are using google 2FA app. If you update to this recent update, your 2FA will synchronized with google cloud and your 2FA codes are no more offline.
Is all Bitcoin software wallet provide 2FA feature which is provided by Google? I doubt about it.

Example is Electrum wallet which provides 2FA feature but it is from Trustedcoin, not from Google. Electrum 2FA.
Electrum offers two-factor authenticated wallets, with a remote server acting to co-sign transactions, adding another level of security in the event of your computer being compromised.

The remote server in question is a service offered by TrustedCoin. Here is a guide on how it works.
2FA will cost you more fee for Trusted Coin which is unnecessary in my opinion. You can use either cold wallet or multi-sig wallet with Electrum without additional fee to a third party provider like Trustedcoin.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1094
Google is making security to become the thing of the past.

This topic was moved to off-topic and no replies and it was left alone because off-topic board is seen as trash board. I do not want to move the topic back to beginners and help because moderator moved it to off-topic.

It is about bitcoin users that are using google 2FA app. If you update to this recent update, your 2FA will synchronized with google cloud and your 2FA codes are no more offline.

We can see how many bitcoin users and other crypto users have lost their money through Google Cloud and  iCloud, what is online is not secure like offline.

This is about letting other people that do not want online 2FA to know.

I will lock the old topic. If this topic is moved to off-topic again, I have nothing else to do. I hope you have all seen it.
Pages:
Jump to: