Pages:
Author

Topic: To Secure Big BTC amounts (>50k) one should run 1. own Node, 2. ...? - page 2. (Read 1077 times)

copper member
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499
No I dont escrow anymore.
-snip-
If you have more than 50% haspower, its secure for you.

If your idea of "security" is "complete control over the network" you might have a hard time with bitcoin and security.
hv_
legendary
Activity: 2520
Merit: 1055
Clean Code and Scale
In order to better secure a big chunks of BTC, I'd say it should be a good idea to check your own wealth by running

...better than what?

1. your own node, with some software on top that very regular checks if your stake is still yours (big business like exchanges are hopefully doing that, correct?).  Costs of that is minimal.

Sounds like an online solution, any particular reason for that?

2. ... ? I can only think of running a big mining pool (5-10% of hashpool might be ok) is the most secure way of keeping things yours, but that is most expensive Option, but could also pay back, if you can get cheap Power!

Is there sth. else one could do?

I was just thinking about getting around the decentralisation issue by bringing in 'big' players and really with point 2. AND big money the system gets safer and shared better (than just right now, where about 60% of mining power is concentrated).

If just 10-20 big players (home offices, Magnetes, ...) would do so - each separately- BTC would do really well.

Anyone can calculate what minimum cash (buy Miners) would be needed for ensuring all that?

Next, who might be those big ones?

Mining? How is that adding to the security of the coins?

If you have more than 50% haspower, its secure for you.
hv_
legendary
Clean Code and Scale
Create a wallet on an OFFLINE COMPUTER.

Destroy hard drive it was created on...

The best bet would be to make a faridi cage, create in there and destroy everything before leaving(use a Rasp-pi it's cheap) except the ENCRYPTED private key and your public key.   Make copies. Write down the pass, never type it onto a computer. 

Yes, that was supposed to be basic. I'm more interested of fixing attacks from miner side (51% attack) or similar things.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000
Create a wallet on an OFFLINE COMPUTER.

Destroy hard drive it was created on...

The best bet would be to make a faridi cage, create in there and destroy everything before leaving(use a Rasp-pi it's cheap) except the ENCRYPTED private key and your public key.   Make copies. Write down the pass, never type it onto a computer. 
copper member
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499
No I dont escrow anymore.
In order to better secure a big chunks of BTC, I'd say it should be a good idea to check your own wealth by running

...better than what?

1. your own node, with some software on top that very regular checks if your stake is still yours (big business like exchanges are hopefully doing that, correct?).  Costs of that is minimal.

Sounds like an online solution, any particular reason for that?

2. ... ? I can only think of running a big mining pool (5-10% of hashpool might be ok) is the most secure way of keeping things yours, but that is most expensive Option, but could also pay back, if you can get cheap Power!

I was just thinking about getting around the decentralisation issue by bringing in 'big' players and really with point 2. AND big money the system gets safer and shared better (than just right now, where about 60% of mining power is concentrated).

If just 10-20 big players (home offices, Magnetes, ...) would do so - each separately- BTC would do really well.

Anyone can calculate what minimum cash (buy Miners) would be needed for ensuring all that?

Mining? How is that adding to the security of the coins?
hv_
legendary
Clean Code and Scale

Pages:
Jump to: