Pages:
Author

Topic: Toasters to Mine Bitcoins - page 2. (Read 4102 times)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250
November 19, 2014, 10:47:23 PM
My toaster, refrigerator, as long as the links to the things other people could be controlled? For them to seek benefits, but spend my electricity bill?
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1005
★Nitrogensports.eu★
November 19, 2014, 09:03:35 PM
Op are you really interested in mining cryptocurrencies with Toeaster or Freezer? It seems illogical and really waste of potential even if you could make it work. You will be better with one ASIC than dozens of Toasters.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
FUN > ROI
November 19, 2014, 02:34:37 PM
It would be have to be alt coins, probably a cpu coin.
Well it wouldn't have to be.  It's just likely that it's easier and more profitable to mine such a coin, and then exchange that for other coins (including Bitcoin), than mining Bitcoin; same reason those NAS boxes were mining Dogecoin, rather than Bitcoin or even Litecoin (at the time, Dogecoin was going through a growth spurt).
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
FUN > ROI
November 19, 2014, 10:55:32 AM
The list of requirements is pretty short:
  • Must be capable of performing the calculations required; even lowly microcontrollers may be sufficient
  • Must be capable of being programmed to perform these calculations; if you can't change the firmware/software, you're stuck
  • Must be connected to the internet; otherwise you'd have to manually set it up with work, and manually submit solved work
  • Must be hackable across the internet via a vulnerability; only in the case of remote hacking, though that's generally the vector to go for.. being able to hack a machine in person is great, but that's a lot of work for very little trade-off.
If your toaster, fridge, coffee machine, whatever was made by some company that jumped on the IoT bandwagon, there's a good chance they could do it.

Whether that's worth the bother depends on how many machines you manage to actually target.  Processing power in these is pretty limited, but if you can get 10,000,000 of them, at very low cost to you, then it may be lucrative all the same.

Remember that some NAS (basically just a 'dumb' hard disk on your network) systems were hacked to perform cryptocoin (in this case, Dogecoin) mining; http://www.pcworld.com/article/2364120/hacked-synology-nas-systems-used-in-highprofit-cryptocurrency-mining-operation.html
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
AltoCenter.com
November 19, 2014, 10:41:58 AM
Is it possible to mine Bitcoin using refrigerators and toasters.

How that even works?

Well they are saying that hackers could target this things to compute with the mining power of computed device.

Is it possible?

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/hackers-could-be-targeting-toasters-mine-bitcoins-expert-warns-1475625
Pages:
Jump to: