Pages:
Author

Topic: Token question and ownership - page 2. (Read 170 times)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0
August 06, 2022, 04:14:44 PM
 If there is nothing backing these tokens, I fail to see what value they have?  

There is demand in the market and that is what important.  As long as there are people willing to buy the tokens, the token will have value. besides cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin, Ethereum and BNB have real-life uses, and these real-life uses also backed these cryptocurrencies.

Aside from that, a speculative market is pretty much popular among traders because they can take advantage of the volatility of these cryptocurrencies.

Right, as long as there are people willing to buy the token.  But aside from popularity, what else determines their value if anything?  

If polkadot generates revenues and becomes popular, it’s not like their token entitles me to ownership or future cash flows like stocks.  If a company generates more profits and grows, it’s stock becomes worth more because it’s cash flows are worth more if they get bought, go private, or they have dividends.    

But with tokens, it seems to be strictly a popularity contest without anything backing them.  An uncoupling from the underlying software and applications other then the Name of the application such as polkadot. I know some tokens give you votes and others are used to pay fees on the networks.  

It’s kind of like generating tokens called Cubs baseball team token and trading them on an exchange.  But you don’t have ownership of the Cubs through the tokens or any other benefit if they do well other then popularity.  Do I have this right?
legendary
Activity: 2800
Merit: 1243
Cashback 15%
August 06, 2022, 03:57:01 PM
  If there is nothing backing these tokens, I fail to see what value they have?   

There is demand in the market and that is what important.  As long as there are people willing to buy the tokens, the token will have value. besides cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin, Ethereum and BNB have real-life uses, and these real-life uses also backed these cryptocurrencies.

Aside from that, a speculative market is pretty much popular among traders because they can take advantage of the volatility of these cryptocurrencies.
Activity: 1498
Merit: 702
August 06, 2022, 03:24:46 PM
I don’t seem to understand your point of view mate, when you get Coins like Ethereum where ever you buy it from either peer to peer or through and exchange once you receive it it’s yours, you own in. And that means if the coin does well in the future by going higher in price then your investment is yielding profits, Crypto-currency investment isn’t complicated. It doesn’t have a fix value so it’s a good source of investment when you make wise choices.
Activity: 8
Merit: 0
August 06, 2022, 03:01:47 PM
I am new to crypto and was hoping someone could help.

I understand that with stocks you are getting ownership and future cash flow of a public company, bonds your providing a loan and getting paid back with interest and real estate your getting rents and appreciation. 

What are you getting with tokens like etherium, algorand, polkadot?  There are no cash flows, ownership stakes, or interest.  There are no earnings reports or how successful the software is.  If there is nothing backing these tokens, I fail to see what value they have?   
Pages:
Jump to: