Pages:
Author

Topic: Too much hacking - page 2. (Read 2000 times)

Activity: 574
Merit: 100
January 11, 2015, 01:33:12 AM
Is Bitcoin really this safe with all this hacking going on?

I really need to know before I throw a ton of money towards it.

You have to answer some questions:

• Has your computer been ever hacked/ infected with virus/ trojan?
  • If yes, have you been able to find source/ cause of hack/ infection and a way to prevent it occurring again in future?

If your computer was hacked/ infected and you don't know why/how this happened then you won't be able to protect your bitcoins and you shouldn't invest into them.

Generally speaking bitcoins are as safe as your computer is.
Since the OP is claiming to be working with a "ton" of money it would actually probably be better if he were to keep the bitcoin on a computer that has never "touched" the internet, as in one that has a fresh operating system installed recently (after a wipe of the hard drive), has both wifi and Ethernet disabled and the only "foreign" item to ever come into contact with the computer is a USB drive that installs some piece of software used to generate private keys
Q7
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
January 10, 2015, 10:03:59 PM
The problem with hacking is that people leave vulnerabilities around for hackers to exploit. passwords kept in email or left in simple place, computers connected to network all the time with trial applications installed all the time, people leaving their money in online wallet which they don't have private keys to it and the list goes on and on. Bitcoin is safe and It is close to impossible to hack.. Period.
legendary
Activity: 4130
Merit: 1307
January 10, 2015, 09:35:58 PM

You have very little to worry about if you hold and keep the bitcoins on your harddrive and on a backup drive.  Now when you choose to transfer your coins to an external source...that's when you're going to have to start worrying.

For any substantial amount, do NOT keep them on a hard drive or backup drive. Use cold storage, also see the links above (Armory etc).

Computers are not safe. Period.  Windows in particular but Android, iOS, Mac OS X, Linus, OpenBSD, none are invulnerable and not something to rely upon.

Online wallets, exchanges etc are not good ideas either for substantial amounts.

Activity: 238
Merit: 100
www.secondstrade.com - 190% return Binary option
January 10, 2015, 09:01:59 PM

Well, its just like real money, and you have to be careful about how to hide your own money.
Imagine, you entering with a bag of money in a new house, now you got to be extremely familiar with the house, to prevent a thief from stealing that money.
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
January 10, 2015, 09:00:11 PM

• If yes, have you been able to find source/ cause of hack/ infection and a way to prevent it occurring again in future?

If your computer was hacked/ infected and you don't know why/how this happened then you won't be able to protect your bitcoins and you shouldn't invest into them.

Shut up and read until you actually know the fck you're talking about

The first rule of security is : Always assume your system is compromised.
The solution is, what can a hacker get from your system? ..... thats right meaningless data.

Bitcoin isnt stored on any computers. Its on blockchain. What you have is private key to a wallet that control those bitcoins.

The beauty of hardware wallet or cold wallet solution like Armory is, you dont have to store your private key on an online computer/device. You can assume your online computer is compromised. What you do when you need to move your bitcoin is sign a tx offline and broadcast it on any computer (even infected computers)

Activity: 770
Merit: 504
(っ◔◡◔)っ🍪
January 10, 2015, 08:39:19 PM

Activity: 434
Loose lips sink sigs!
January 10, 2015, 08:29:40 PM
The most comforting part is that YOU have complete control over how much security you place around your money, be it stored in Bitcoins, stocks, gold, or cash under the proverbial mattress.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
January 10, 2015, 08:24:43 PM
solution : cold storage
hack only work for ... trading. Grin
Activity: 249
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
January 10, 2015, 08:14:17 PM

If you have a ton of money, you have a bigger problem. I want to know how you move "a ton" of money.... an Uhaul truck?

You can answer your own question by researching. Dont expect anyone to give you advice on how or where to throw your "ton of " money.

What a joke.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1004
Activity: 406
January 10, 2015, 08:09:37 PM

You have very little to worry about if you hold and keep the bitcoins on your harddrive and on a backup drive.  Now when you choose to transfer your coins to an external source...that's when you're going to have to start worrying.
Activity: 392
Merit: 268
Tips welcomed: 1CF4GhXX1RhCaGzWztgE1YZZUcSpoqTbsJ
January 10, 2015, 08:05:13 PM
Bitcoin as a concept and as a system is secure in that any sort of "hack" would require directly breaking strong cryptography (which has not been ever observed with the current algorithms used). However, if you blindly trust insecure implementations of software, and don't use common sense and vigilance, you are likely to be hacked through breaking of a weaker bad implementation.
Activity: 46
Merit: 0
January 10, 2015, 08:02:01 PM

Pages:
Jump to: