Pages:
Author

Topic: Tool: Calculate the future value of a single Bitcoin - page 2. (Read 6520 times)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100
Man is King!
You're doing the numbers wrong because you're not adding in the value of coins being used as savings.

So where you multiply by the fraction being used for transaction instead multiply by the square.  So let's say that the price is $X and 100% of coins are used for transactions.  Now I move the slider so that it says 50% are used for transactions.  The price should go to 4X, not 2X.  This is because the value of the coins in circulation goes to 2X, but the value in savings is also 2X.

Agreed. However, not all bitcoins will be sold. Exchanges do not have that much money.
Total capitalization is ~ 3,207,666,840.00$ by now.
Activity: 1008
Merit: 531
You're doing the numbers wrong because you're not adding in the value of coins being used as savings.

So where you multiply by the fraction being used for transaction instead multiply by the square.  So let's say that the price is $X and 100% of coins are used for transactions.  Now I move the slider so that it says 50% are used for transactions.  The price should go to 4X, not 2X.  This is because the value of the coins in circulation goes to 2X, but the value in savings is also 2X.
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
Man is King!
Again - get real. 1% of the world economy is ~ 300,000,000,000.00USD.

That's 300 billion. The total amount of coins ever is going to be 84 million.

It means that in that rate a coin will be worth ~3571.42$ per coin.

If it goes so high inflation will destroy world's economy. It might go to 1000000$ per coin, then drop to 1000$ because there are no real money to cash you out!

Do you get it or shall I explain in more detail?

Let's get it a bit easier.

If a bitcoin is worth 100$ today, and there are for instance (just an example) 1,000,000 BTC traded every day through MtGox, it means that MtGox needs 100,000,000$ to exchange all these. However if it goes to 200$ for a single day it will need 200,000,000$. Do you really think they have that kind of leverage? Who is their liquidity provider? The Federal Reserve?

If it gets so expensive so fast it will burst. Yes it might increase in value, but it shall happen within reasonable timeframe of years in order for the exchangers to be able to adjust the volume and money supply they currently have. Otherwise a lot of people will end up burning up graphic cards and all kind of equipment for mining and thousands of BTCs worth nothing.

Another thing that no one thinks about and no one can control - greed.
Most of the bitcoin exchange is done by DIY traders, not miners. When it gets expensive, they sell. Period. They do not care about the whole picture.
If Gox bankrupts it all goes south.
Activity: 91
Merit: 10
Good work..
But one suggestion - UK and US people are more accustomed to seeing comma as a decimal group separator. Prehaps the number formating could be regionalised?
Activity: 77
Merit: 1
As a funny project on the side, I am making a Bitcoin website with some tools and other fun stuff for Europeans.

However, I wanted to share one of the tools I made, because I think it's quite funny!

"Calculate the future value of Bitcoins"
Inspired by Falkvinges blog post about the future value of Bitcoins, I wanted to visualize these numbers. This is also a way to show that the future value of a Bitcoin, if it becomes mainstream, won't be 1000$ or 10000$, but a lot more.

Play around with the numbers here:
» Calculate the future value of Bitcoins

Discussion:
- Does it make ANY sense to make a calculation like this?
- What percentage of Bitcoins will be lost / use for investing?
- What is a realistic percentage of the world economy (probably closer to 0,1% than 100%)?

And for those who missed the link to the tool ;-) :
http://www.btcglobe.com/tool/calculate-future
Pages:
Jump to: