Pages:
Author

Topic: Torservers - Free Anonymous Uncensored Internet for Everyone - page 2. (Read 26877 times)

donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
thumbs up for torservers.net
Activity: 419
Merit: 250
By the way, I've never created a Tor hidden service. Is is something simple? And by simple, I mean something that an average computer user could do, like, is there a wizard install and all? If you have to go though text files, most people would just give up.
If there's such a thing, it would be a good idea to start releasing a bitcoin+Tor* bundle that configures everything and launches your bitcoin already behind a hidden service.

* I say Tor but I guess it could be I2P too... whichever is easier.
No wizards.  All you do is add 2 lines to your torrc and you have a hidden service.

Code:
HiddenServiceDir /var/lib/tor/hidden_coin/
HiddenServicePort 8333 127.0.0.1:8333

Then you reload Tor, and 'cat /var/lib/tor/hidden_coin/hostname'

To get bitcoin to use this, just add a couple lines to your bitcoin.conf

Code:
proxy=127.0.0.1:9050
externalip=p2hwc26zdsrqxiix.onion
listen=1
discover=1

The .onion in this example is me, it will obviously be something different for you.

Sounds like a great way to pay to have the government sniff you

They can feel free to sniff my encrypted traffic.  And if you are really paranoid, run https://www.torproject.org/projects/obfsproxy.html.en

It was a joke.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
By the way, I've never created a Tor hidden service. Is is something simple? And by simple, I mean something that an average computer user could do, like, is there a wizard install and all? If you have to go though text files, most people would just give up.
If there's such a thing, it would be a good idea to start releasing a bitcoin+Tor* bundle that configures everything and launches your bitcoin already behind a hidden service.

No wizards.  All you do is add 2 lines to your torrc and you have a hidden service.

Code:

Then you reload Tor, and 'cat /var/lib/tor/hidden_coin/hostname'

To get bitcoin to use this, just add a couple lines to your bitcoin.conf

Code:
listen=1
discover=1

The .onion in this example is me, it will obviously be something different for you.

They can feel free to sniff my encrypted traffic.  And if you are really paranoid, run https://www.torproject.org/projects/obfsproxy.html.en
Activity: 419
Merit: 250

legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004
Yup.  No need to require everybody, though. Just a few people (like me and you) need nodes that connect Torland to the Internet.  My node is setup to talk to both networks.

I understand that's not needed to.
But this is great news. I've always thought that running bitcoin behind Tor should be a "recommended practice", pretty much like using different address for each transaction. The only problem was that the more people following such practice, the less listening nodes we'd get.
Not a problem anymore with this patch you talk about.

I hope this patched is merged in the main version soon. Smiley

Activity: 52
Merit: 0
Proud to announce a new 100mbit/s exit in SWEDEN:

https://torstatus.blutmagie.de/router_detail.php?FP=8543536f43e4dfd33bfe89204c315515d4de8b01

We will soon upgrade it to 1 Gbit/s.
Red Emerald, you mean that with this patch bitcoin clients are able to send their .onion (or eventually another darknet) URL to other bitcoin nodes in the discovery process?
The bitcoin network may now operate inside a darknet if everybody wants to?
Yup.  No need to require everybody, though. Just a few people (like me and you) need nodes that connect Torland to the Internet.  My node is setup to talk to both networks.
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004
Red Emerald, you mean that with this patch bitcoin clients are able to send their .onion (or eventually another darknet) URL to other bitcoin nodes in the discovery process?
The bitcoin network may now operate inside a darknet if everybody wants to?
So the newest next-test from luke-jr has a bunch of code in it for Tor hidden services.  I updated my server with it and now I have this in my conf

Code:
listen=1
discover=1

You can also do addnode or connect directly to .onion instead of having to add a bunch of mapaddress lines to your torrc.  It's been working well for me.  36 connections right now.
I can only repeat what I've said before: THANK YOU! Without your donations, we would not be where we are today. I am still making sure that everything goes into fast Tor exits for all of the world to benefit.

Cheers!!
As you might have read in the news, Iran is blocking all encrypted (SSL/HTTPS) traffic. We've been able to set up obfuscated proxies for Tor bridges on two of our Gbit servers. Tor usually sees hundreds of thousands of Iran users (2nd largest user group!), but I am proud that today over 150 Iranians found their way through our servers. Thank you! Without your donations, this would not be possible!
Activity: 714
Great idea.

Code:
sjdntqu5roj4q6lo.onion

Awesome. It works!

Code:
$ bitcoind getinfo
{
    "version" : 50000,
    "balance" : 0,
    "blocks" : 161736,
    "connections" : 3,
    "proxy" : "127.0.0.1:9050",
Great idea.

Code:
sjdntqu5roj4q6lo.onion
I think tor is great and have been playing with it for years.

I'm assuming you run a bitcoin client rather than using a web wallet. If that is the case, you should consider setting up a tor hidden service.  Right now I believe the only two hidden services online are run by me.

It's really easy to do. I'm sure you already know how considering the number of nodes you run.  Just in case though, all you have to do is add 2 lines to your torrc.

Code:

The list is of nodes is at https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Fallback_Nodes#Tor_nodes, but like I said, mine are the only 2 that seem to be online.
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097
Moritz, I really appreciate what you're doing for the Tor network and freedom of speech generally. I'm following you for years and I want encourage other Bitcoin members to support torservers by at least small donation, because they're doing  good job!
Sorry, I don't want to spam you, but I want to reach out to all BTC donators, especially the one who left a message in our PrivacyBox, promising a lot of Bitcoins weekly. So far, this seems to be true, and we have turned over 700 coins into money and then into Tor exit servers thanks to you! I want to make sure you all know we appreciate your confidence into us!

We're going strong, pumping around 1500 MBit/s of Tor exit traffic for all those in need of anonymity on the net.

In case you missed it, we're an official charitable German non-profit now!
We still accept Bitcoin donations (and we're sitting on a large number of them). In case you lost hope, we will gladly accept the coins.
Activity: 602
Merit: 512
GLBSE Support [email protected]
All our Tor exit nodes allow port 8333. You can find the servers at http://torstatus.blutmagie.de/index.php?SR=Bandwidth&SO=Desc (look for addresses ending in .torservers.net).

We have a total of 1200.13 BTC at the moment. Thanks!!

Bitcoin address at https://www.torservers.net/donate.html#anonymous

Wow that's worth alot now.
Pages:
Jump to: