Pages:
Author

Topic: TORWallet - Scammer - page 2. (Read 11202 times)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0
September 26, 2012, 05:21:32 AM
No offense intended, but I have emails from a googlegroup from right when Torwallet was announced. Seemed to everyone on that list though it was the most likely new way to lose your coins.

A successful con will run clean for a while to maximize return on the investment for the scam. With a service like torwallet, you run it until you start to see the early adopter wave start to thin out, and bail right before the majority of them do. (a few months is about right) and hit it at just below the peak of deposits.

Hi Guruvan,

Would be nice to see the link for this googlegroup ?

The only way to really find out if it is a scam or not is to use the service, which many of us did, Is it not ok to assume that there are good people that create quality services out there ? Should we always instantly think that something is a scam.... it's not within our nature.

It was a very successful con... shame that  Smiley
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
September 25, 2012, 10:51:43 PM
No offense intended, but I have emails from a googlegroup from right when Torwallet was announced. Seemed to everyone on that list though it was the most likely new way to lose your coins.

A successful con will run clean for a while to maximize return on the investment for the scam. With a service like torwallet, you run it until you start to see the early adopter wave start to thin out, and bail right before the majority of them do. (a few months is about right) and hit it at just below the peak of deposits.
administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13032
September 25, 2012, 10:23:08 PM
Tagged.

Anonymous EWallets should never be trusted. Unlike anonymous stores, coin mixers, and most other services, anonymous EWallets have absolutely no economic incentive to not steal their users' coins.
September 25, 2012, 09:39:28 PM
Tweaked, thanks for the curl commands you posted earlier.  I didn't know the site had a functioning API.  I have been spamming them to send me back my coins the past few days.  I guess this is only thing we can do at this point.  From how the TORwallet representative spoke, it seemed the site was ran by multiple people (say 2 or 3).  If this is true, I wonder if only 1 person actually had possession of the coins at any given time, or if it was split equally with some sort of "checks and balances" in place?  If one of them decided to take off with the majority of the coins the service bounced around, you would think the other developers would have called foul to the community to let its users know the site went rogue.  Not a single person (besides the site's users) have come forward claiming to know why the site is "malfunctioning" (AKA stealing).  This makes me think TORwallet was run by one individual who manipulated the image of their mixing service to look more trustworthy.  This is all speculation and meaningless, but I'm just trying to contribute to the investigation and at least get the word out to steer clear of the site.  Mods, for fucks sake, please tag the user as a scammer.

No problem SnafuKazoo they don't really have a working API but you can still send HTTP posts to the site. I'm still getting the "Hot wallet" message and I have been posting now since the service went down.

I'm not sure what sort of structure TORWallet had internally.  The thing that gets me about the "Hot wallet" message is the fact that the actual hot wallet cannot be exhausted due to the coins that users deposit to the site, so I think the message is just bullshit.

well...c'mon now...didn't you see this one coming 100 clicks away?

Torwallet indeed. Next, we'll just call it "torsiphon.bit" and watch them all toss their coin at it.

i saw one user on irc using sr for a wallet. Seems way betta to me. You know they have a vested interest in keeping their wallet secure and available (and not stealing it themselves) they make much more running sr. Cheesy

Guruvan, Did we see this coming ? No TORWallet operated perfectly for many months, coins where deposited and withdrawn without issues, plus they had many reviews on blog sites and on this forum. There was nothing untoward about the way the service was run just because it is behind TOR doesn't mean it is going to be a scam.

SR can be used as a wallet but that is not it's intended purpose.

To be honest I am now in serious doubt about this community if there are this many users stating that TORWallet is a scam and even the original topic has users reporting it's a scam, and still the admins/mods have not tagged the user as "scammer" plus the original topic is still bringing new users to there service.

Seriously what is the point of standing there and going, "c'mon guys this was always going to happen"??

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
September 25, 2012, 03:13:14 PM
well...c'mon now...didn't you see this one coming 100 clicks away?

Torwallet indeed. Next, we'll just call it "torsiphon.bit" and watch them all toss their coin at it.

i saw one user on irc using sr for a wallet. Seems way betta to me. You know they have a vested interest in keeping their wallet secure and available (and not stealing it themselves) they make much more running sr. Cheesy

Activity: 12
September 25, 2012, 02:26:23 PM
Tweaked, thanks for the curl commands you posted earlier.  I didn't know the site had a functioning API.  I have been spamming them to send me back my coins the past few days.  I guess this is only thing we can do at this point.  From how the TORwallet representative spoke, it seemed the site was ran by multiple people (say 2 or 3).  If this is true, I wonder if only 1 person actually had possession of the coins at any given time, or if it was split equally with some sort of "checks and balances" in place?  If one of them decided to take off with the majority of the coins the service bounced around, you would think the other developers would have called foul to the community to let its users know the site went rogue.  Not a single person (besides the site's users) have come forward claiming to know why the site is "malfunctioning" (AKA stealing).  This makes me think TORwallet was run by one individual who manipulated the image of their mixing service to look more trustworthy.  This is all speculation and meaningless, but I'm just trying to contribute to the investigation and at least get the word out to steer clear of the site.  Mods, for fucks sake, please tag the user as a scammer.
September 25, 2012, 06:12:05 AM
Maybe the admins are the ones behind it.

Doubt that but at this stage there pretty much enabling and promoting TORWallet as a legitimate service...
Activity: 18
September 25, 2012, 05:09:05 AM
Maybe the admins are the ones behind it.
September 24, 2012, 11:51:48 PM
Bump.  This is indeed important.
Activity: 277
Merit: 250
September 24, 2012, 09:54:50 PM
Bump. Mods, this is important.
September 24, 2012, 07:55:09 PM
Are there actually any admins or moderators on this forum.

I have PM'd Admins and started this topic yet still TORWallet is not marked as a "Scammer"

The original topic is the 3rd result on Google when searching for TORWallet. If there is anything the community can do it is destroy the reputation of TORWallet in order to protect future users. The fact that they are still running and accepting coins means they are milking it for all it is worth.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/announce-torwallet-anonymous-mixing-wallet-service-87387

https://www.google.com/?q=TORWallet

Please....Tag the user
September 24, 2012, 04:01:14 PM
I cannot agree more with this statement.  If they get their service working properly and return all coins, the scammer tag should be instantly removed.

Agreed.  As well as an explanation.
September 24, 2012, 03:38:45 PM
They're probably milking it for all it's worth at this point by not responding, and taking advantage of people that have heard of or used the service before successfully.  They need a scammer tag, so that people smart enough to do a search of their name can see they're scamming before they deposit their coins.
I cannot agree more with this statement.  If they get their service working properly and return all coins, the scammer tag should be instantly removed.
September 24, 2012, 10:29:44 AM
They're probably milking it for all it's worth at this point by not responding, and taking advantage of people that have heard of or used the service before successfully.  They need a scammer tag, so that people smart enough to do a search of their name can see they're scamming before they deposit their coins.
September 24, 2012, 09:56:44 AM
Totally bump  Grin

Seriously mark TORWallet please, people are still depositing coins.
September 24, 2012, 02:37:15 AM
TORWallet has not been allowing people to withdraw from there wallets for over one week with multiple users reporting the following messages when attempting to access or send bitcoins from there wallet.

Code:
"Hot wallet exhausted. Please wait while we move coins in from our offline wallet."

Code:
"Database error!"

TORWallet User: https://bitcointalksearch.org/user/torwallet-59945

Forum posts
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=87387.160
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/torwallet-status-112201
Pages:
Jump to: