Pages:
Author

Topic: Totally made up story on the gambling section that I want to analyze. - page 2. (Read 427 times)

Activity: 728
Merit: 612
I locked the thread but I thought better to unlock it, in case someone wants to read my reasoning.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.62283971
I tend to agree it looks like a made up story.

Sometime there are many useless thread in gambling section. I remember someone say if he has a sign of an addict and want to quit gambling, but he wear a gambling signature that force him to active in gambling action.

abuse on the forum's rules and regulations

with this I will also suggest putting the he user on ignore list if he consistently post lies about the reality of things
It is made up story is an abuse of the forum's rules? there's no exact rule about fake story, no one need to worry if he create a fake story because they will not get banned or negative trust (people might argue it because they think it's harsh).

Put the user on ignore list is an individual solution, maybe the @OP is looking for a forum solution.
Activity: 532
Merit: 390

To me as long as it's not a scam promotion, request for donations, abuse on the forum's rules and regulations, or any form of unacceptable manner or behavior, i will suggest you leave such individual and only report the thread to the moderator, why i said so is that once the thread had being reported, the moderator has the right to either lock the thread, move the thread or even delete such and if action on any of this is taken, you have succeeded in dealing appropriately with the thread creator in a more professional way.

You don't have to begin to argue yourself with the user on what he's saying, i believe there are more experienced and exposed users as well on the forum who could see to the issue and judge from their opinion, with this I will also suggest putting the he user on ignore list if he consistently post lies about the reality of things, you may never have the opportunity to see their post again once on your ignore list.
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 2017
Thanks for your answers, but the one that convinces me the most is the one from nutildah. On other occasions I seem to remember calling it BS myself or seeing it from other people to a story that seems clearly made up but doing it on the front page, where it has more visibility.

I guess I'll do it later and take the opportunity to report the thread by putting my explanation as a link.

I locked the thread but I thought better to unlock it, in case someone wants to read my reasoning.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.62283971
legendary
Activity: 3010
Merit: 8114
I have also thought to call it BS in the same thread but the comment would be lost on the umpteenth page and people would keep spamming the thread no matter what.

You should just handle it this way. Chances are the person who wrote the story won't even see your response as shitposters rarely look back to reflect on their work. But at least it will be part of the official record, regardless of whether anybody bothers to actually read other posts.

If something more was at stake, like they were making up lies to sell a product or service, then it would be more of a reputational or even scam accusation matter, depending on the severity of the lie.
Activity: 644
Merit: 661
- Jay -
How about a new thread in the same board it was posted with a link to the original discussion?
Since you plan to analyze the thread and not the user, reputation seems like the wrong place to do it and the discussion might not be relevant for meta.

This way, you have users of that board discussing a gambling related topic, and a higher chance of reaching people that would have interacted with that thread.

I have also thought to call it BS in the same thread but the comment would be lost on the umpteenth page and people would keep spamming the thread no matter what.
I fear whatever you do people would keep spamming said thread.

- Jay -
Activity: 868
Merit: 1094
If you have something to prove (which is not about the forum, admin or moderators, related to the forum, which not like deletion of posts and something's like that), you can do the analysis or report on reputation board, that is one of the reasons the board was created.

It would have been better if you have made use of this thread to report it instead of asking questions. If it does not belongs to meta, it would be moved. There is nothing wrong for a thread to be moved to the appropriate board.

If you do not have enough evidence, do not report the topic because it wouldn't likely be a waste of time to report it. If you have a valid reason but not enough to proof anything, see it as a waste of time too.
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 2017
So, I took a look at the gambling section and saw a thread that is based on an OP that is simply false. What is told in it does not stand up to the slightest rational analysis.

I would like to detail it and I have been hesitating where to do it. I have thought about the Reputation section but it would seem too tough against the person who makes up the story I think and I've been known to be aggressive enough lately. I have also thought to call it BS in the same thread but the comment would be lost on the umpteenth page and people would keep spamming the thread no matter what.

Then I have also thought of doing it in Meta, as it is a meta-reflection on that thread the analysis I plan to do, but here I'm sure someone will tell me the typical thing that I should just report the thread, but I don't want to just report it but analyze it and see what the other forum members think.

What do you think?
Pages:
Jump to: