Pages:
Author

Topic: Trading Hours - page 2. (Read 1729 times)

Activity: 100
Merit: 10
June 05, 2013, 11:30:36 PM
Either exchanges would enforce this (expect some exchanges to offer 24/7 as a feature) or bitcoin software would have to enforce this, in that case have fun making transactions after the curfew.
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye
June 05, 2013, 06:24:39 PM
Obviously there would still be exchanges and local bitcoins hubs that you could trade at.

But taking MtGox as an example you can clearly that manipulators take advantage of the "out of hours" low trading volumes to cause massive swings in market value.

Where as if the trading was kept to certain hours when the majority of the market was awake and watching the market it would lessen the affect that the manipulators could have on the price.
Which would go a long was to providing a stable bitcoin market, rather than one that goes bananas every weekend.

Obviously the manipulation of the market is still speculation but the timings of the suspected manipulation do suggest as much.

Edit: Just putting this forward, I must admit I'm not a trading guru or anything. Just seems to make sense that closing the market during these slow trading hours would protect it somewhat.

If this is so obvious, then people would put fiat into the exchange during business hours and then wait until after hours to place their bids, thus counteracting any new coins being placed onto the exchange during off-business hours.

Anyway, who would do this "enforcing" you speak of? Nobody has that kind of power over the exchanges.
legendary
Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000
HODL OR DIE
June 05, 2013, 03:31:52 PM

Shutting down exchanges during certain periods is, in my opinion, greater manipulation than slow period sell-offs/buys.

I don't get all this concern over "manipulators". If it is that obvious then bet against them and they will lose money...

Humans are conditioned to think there is a greater force pulling at the wires making everything happen. "God" is the original manipulator.
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
June 05, 2013, 02:31:20 PM
Shutting down exchanges during certain periods is, in my opinion, greater manipulation than slow period sell-offs/buys.

I don't get all this concern over "manipulators". If it is that obvious then bet against them and they will lose money...
+1
Activity: 46
Merit: 0
June 05, 2013, 11:36:34 AM
Obviously there would still be exchanges and local bitcoins hubs that you could trade at.

But taking MtGox as an example you can clearly that manipulators take advantage of the "out of hours" low trading volumes to cause massive swings in market value.

Where as if the trading was kept to certain hours when the majority of the market was awake and watching the market it would lessen the affect that the manipulators could have on the price.
Which would go a long was to providing a stable bitcoin market, rather than one that goes bananas every weekend.

Obviously the manipulation of the market is still speculation but the timings of the suspected manipulation do suggest as much.

Edit: Just putting this forward, I must admit I'm not a trading guru or anything. Just seems to make sense that closing the market during these slow trading hours would protect it somewhat.
edd
donator
Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001
June 05, 2013, 11:13:41 AM
Traders live in all parts of the world. Why would you want to prohibit someone from trading during the hours when they're most active simply because others aren't?
Activity: 46
Merit: 0
June 05, 2013, 11:04:12 AM
Would enforced trading hours be a positive thing for Bitcoin?

Although it would place quite tight controls on the markets but with so much market manipulation going on during low periods would it be better to shut off the market during those times. ie weekends, after hours trading.

Obviously this would probably require a central trading platform to make this decision which we don't really have, unless it was something that all major exchanges signed up to.
Pages:
Jump to: