Pages:
Author

Topic: Transaction change vanished - page 2. (Read 2418 times)

legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002
November 30, 2012, 07:31:00 AM
I guess the real question you need to answer is: where we're those 99 missing BTC's sent?

..for the technicality of it I assume it is of equal interest.. or?

You don't need to tell us. You need that answer yourself.
Start investigating the address where they went. Can you connect that address to some other address(es)? Use znorts blockchain parser, blockchain.info taint analysis, dump your wallets with pywallet and see if that address belongs to you, whatever is at your power.
I've never heard or seen a case where bitcoind or bitcoin-qt sent a tx on it's own without user input.
Activity: 13
Merit: 0
November 30, 2012, 07:23:26 AM
I guess the real question you need to answer is: where we're those 99 missing BTC's sent?

..for the technicality of it I assume it is of equal interest.. or?
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002
November 30, 2012, 07:17:03 AM
November 30, 2012, 07:09:24 AM
I use two separate wallet.dat files (actually I have three).
To clarify the wallet issue.

#1) Pocket money wallet. (not mentioned before)
#2) Repository wallet.
#3) New repository wallet, to gather funds.

Earlier references has been sending from #2 and receiving in #3.

After this little mishap I was worried about my remaining 100BTC in #2, so I went to transfer them aswell to #3 .

This time I decided to send 99 of them, and to leave 1BTC just to see if I could repeat the problem. Worked like a charm, -99BTC was registered and the change of 1BTC was kept without a visible transaction (note: first sending machine is no longer in use as I am worried about viruses or similar).

So, now I was going to try the tips from DannyHamilton, so I installed a fresh bitcoin-qt client and copied an pasted in an early backup of the #2, and deleted the index files. Waited a few days for the rebuild. Guess what it came up with?

The history of transactions (all of them from now unknown addresses since this backup was so old) came up, but towards the end the same problem with the -1BTC followed by the -99BTC came in. And after that the latest transaction of -99BTC this time displaying also the corresponding change of -1BTC!  So, the problem was repeted, and the account is now empty.

Can it have something to do with that I have used different (in time) backups in the past, and switching between #1 and #2 in datadir's on same machine without rebuild? I might also have been using the #2 on more than one machine concurrently.

Latest Transaction-ID: 2705cbc8a9bbe0acf1bba1351ed2b0558ccad196f5c01a784386a305a749bc6d
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010
November 28, 2012, 07:21:11 PM
Hi, I went to transfer one BTC from a wallet to another.

Do you mean that from your wallet you paid one of your own addresses from the same wallet?   Or are you saying you have two wallet files, sent from one to an address from the second wallet.dat?

If you are swapping wallet.dat files, you might want to launch the bitcoin-qt client with the -rescan.

legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 4658
November 28, 2012, 11:16:38 AM
There was something weird with this client some time ago..  starting the application would fail reporting and index fault or something similar. I closed the app, removed the *.dat files in the datadir, and rebuilt the indexes.

Other useful information might be that when I made the transfer the client was not fully up to date with the block chain. The client was online about 30 min after the transfer until I noticed the problem. At this time I turned it off (before rebuild was done).

This did however not cause any problems with the one BTC I sent.
Not sure what your problem is, but if it was my wallet, I'd do the following:

• Dump all the private keys out of the wallet
  • Shut down the client
  • Move wallet.dat to backup.wallet.dat
  • Start up the client
  • Import all the private keys from the previous dump into the new wallet
  • Wait for the blockchain to get caught up

Just a suggestion.  It might not be your best option.
November 28, 2012, 10:28:31 AM
There was something weird with this client some time ago..  starting the application would fail reporting and index fault or something similar. I closed the app, removed the *.dat files in the datadir, and rebuilt the indexes.

Other useful information might be that when I made the transfer the client was not fully up to date with the block chain. The client was online about 30 min after the transfer until I noticed the problem. At this time I turned it off (before rebuild was done).

This did however not cause any problems with the one BTC I sent.
Activity: 482
Merit: 502
November 28, 2012, 09:57:35 AM
Have you closed your bitcoin-qt process forcefully in the time of transaction or later?
Bitcoin-qt messed with my labels in really weird way some time ago when I accidentally unmounted the USB drive with my wallet while bitcoin running.
It may be my mind tricking me, but I'm sure I have been thinking today if something like you have just described is possible to happen.

edit________
Now when I think about it, this doesn't seems to be that bitcoin-qt is just miss-interpretiing the wallet content. There shouldn't be 2 separate transactions if you have made just one.
November 28, 2012, 09:44:15 AM
Hi, I went to transfer one BTC from a wallet to another. I can now see afterwards that 99 BTC was also sent to another address (1PyDNpaHGaAxazG13Xa7sESVeQbympLrHw, transactionID: 724d1caf9cc4302d02564908fcbd1d47878732b6eb4da818a3495709d595944c).

I understand this to be normal behavior in the Bitcoined application as the other mysterious address is generated by the app and will just send the "change" back to me. But the 99 BTC seems to have vanish from my account, however the 1 BTC sent in the same block arrived just fine.

Weird thing is that the 99 BTC transaction is published under "Recent transactions" in the Bitcoined app. This is not standard for "change" transfers.

Anyone know what could have happened?
Pages:
Jump to: