Pages:
Author

Topic: Transaction from Summer 2010 - page 2. (Read 1425 times)

Activity: 569
Merit: 507
September 13, 2018, 03:05:09 AM

Nope (sorry) I don't have their email address and even if I did then releasing other folks personal details to a completely random entity would not be something I would consider doing.

Anyhow, that account is still active sometimes so maybe you might try to PM them directly?
If I could pm him I would, but changes to this forum since 2010 won't allow me based on the newbie status. There's other ways of helping me get in touch with him, without giving personal information. Thanks for responding though.

for every PM i get, I get an email...search your email for any old PMs you got.
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 3092
September 03, 2018, 09:30:47 AM
Can anyone explain what would happen if I created a wallet in 2010 and someone sent coins to the wallet address, gave me a tx number that I stuck in and hit receive, shut the wallet down and left Bitcoin demon running ( It probably didn't sync with the network) and went to work. When I got home the power had been off and the computer was off, I never had it back online since then.  I looked on the block chain at old addresses and don't see that amount around the time it happened.

If some one sent the coins to that walle, then there should be the coins, even if the wallet get down or get offline, the bitcoin network keeps running, so there is no reason to not see the coins on the addy, unless the transaction get a double spend.

Maybe when you take a look at that block you search for a wrong addy, bitcoins doesn't disappear in the air, so if that transaction was really made, it should be listed in the blockchain. 
HCP
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 4318
August 30, 2018, 11:56:27 PM
Get the transaction IDs from Kraken, look them up on a block explorer...

Double check that:
- the second transaction is actually confirmed.
- the second transaction actually sends to the same address as the first transaction.

Activity: 43
Merit: 1
August 30, 2018, 09:43:29 PM
Hi everyone! I am not sure where I need to post to get help...I will explain my situation below:

On August 9th I sent two transactions from my Kraken account to my coinbase account. These transactions were sent to the same coinbase wallet address about 15min apart... one transaction was for .09 Bitcoin and the other .64 roughly. The first transaction went into my coinbase wallet no problem, the second transaction has still not hot my coinbase account. I have contacted both Kraken and Coinbase with no luck. Kraken says the transaction was successful so they cannot do anything on there end...Coinbase says that the wallet address is not linked to my coinbase account...however this is not true as transaction #1 for $600 roughly went into my coinbase wallet...transaction #2 is still sitting on the block chain and is roughly $4,000 which is a lot for me. I have all the picture proof of the transaction on Kraken showing both sent to same wallet....coinbase keeps telling me that the wallet is not a coinbase wallet. I am stuck and have no way to get my $4,000. I am very stressed out and do not know what to do! Any help someone can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You!
I would probably start a new post, so that more people would see the subject related to your situation. If you received one transaction and haven't received the other, I would look to make sure that you typed the address the same in both. Then check block chain to make sure the transaction are there. if both are there, then contact coinbase again.
August 30, 2018, 01:51:06 PM

They are not part of the main chain, but these blocks do exist. And they are indexed and searchable.

You can view the block info of orphaned blocks here: https://www.blockchain.com/en/btc/orphaned-blocks
The orphaned blocks are valid blocks which are not part of the main chain, but contain valid transactions.
Bob123, thanks for the info, but that only shows back to March of 2014,
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481
August 30, 2018, 05:45:17 AM
Blocks get orphaned all the time, and as far as I know the orphaned transactions aren't abandoned, they're just added to other blocks again.

This applies to 'normal' transactions.

But maliciously sent transactions which aim to create a double spend do leave transactions inside orphaned blocks which aren't later added to the main chain.

So while the majority of transactions has been added to the mainchain through other blocks, a few have not been added (which are still valid itself in terms signature check).

legendary
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
August 30, 2018, 04:53:34 AM
These transactions do still exist inside of orphaned  blocks.
Blocks get orphaned all the time, and as far as I know the orphaned transactions aren't abandoned, they're just added to other blocks again. That makes it very unlikely to find a transaction that's not in the main chain this way.
Activity: 68
Merit: 18
August 30, 2018, 04:37:18 AM
They are not part of the main chain, but these blocks do exist. And they are indexed and searchable.

Thanks for pointing that out. Learnt something new.   Huh
legendary
August 30, 2018, 04:29:52 AM
Huh? If they're not included in the main chain then they don't exist. There is only one chain - the longest chain - the "main chain".

That's not necessarily true.
These transactions do still exist inside of orphaned  blocks.

Does anyone know how to see transactions that are good, that are not included in the main chain.

You can view the block info of orphaned blocks here: https://www.blockchain.com/en/btc/orphaned-blocks
The orphaned blocks are valid blocks which are not part of the main chain, but contain valid transactions.
Activity: 68
Merit: 18
August 30, 2018, 03:53:42 AM
Does anyone know how to see transactions that are good, that are not included in the main chain.

Huh? If they're not included in the main chain then they don't exist. There is only one chain - the longest chain - the "main chain".
August 29, 2018, 12:14:06 PM
legendary
August 29, 2018, 04:12:03 AM
When we were talking about transactions in 2010, if the coins still show up in an old  address, and they were sent to a cold wallet address, does that mean that the transaction never went through.

A cold wallet is simply a wallet which is not connected to the internet in any way. And a wallet is a piece of software which manages your private- and public- keys.
Whether a transactions went trough only depends on whether it has been included into a block. It doesn't matter whether the private key to access these funds is stored offline or online.
August 28, 2018, 03:29:39 PM
Thank you LoyceV for that info. When we were talking about transactions in 2010, if the coins still show up in an old  address, and they were sent to a cold wallet address, does that mean that the transaction never went through.
legendary
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
August 28, 2018, 01:38:59 PM
If I could pm him I would, but changes to this forum since 2010 won't allow me based on the newbie status.
Make 7 more posts (don't spam!), and you'll be a Jr. Member, which allows you to PM anybody.
August 28, 2018, 10:59:56 AM

Nope (sorry) I don't have their email address and even if I did then releasing other folks personal details to a completely random entity would not be something I would consider doing.

Anyhow, that account is still active sometimes so maybe you might try to PM them directly?
If I could pm him I would, but changes to this forum since 2010 won't allow me based on the newbie status. There's other ways of helping me get in touch with him, without giving personal information. Thanks for responding though.
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1722
https://youtu.be/DsAVx0u9Cw4 ... Dr. WHO < KLF
August 28, 2018, 03:25:38 AM
Does anyone have a email address for smoketoomuch, he helped me setup my computer, you can pm it to me. I can see them, but I cannot respond to them yet. Newbe account. Can't remember the name I used on here in 2010.

August 28, 2018, 01:16:10 AM

... if the other party created, signed and broadcast a transaction to the network that was subsequently included in a block by a miner... then those coins are attached to that address.

So the coins should be in my address, even though I never logged in with that wallet. Or would the coins show up in his address because the transaction never went through?
August 27, 2018, 11:52:57 PM
Does anyone have a email address for smoketoomuch, he helped me setup my computer, you can pm it to me. I can see them, but I cannot respond to them yet. Newbe account. Can't remember the name I used on here in 2010.
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1722
https://youtu.be/DsAVx0u9Cw4 ... Dr. WHO < KLF
August 27, 2018, 04:09:41 PM
PM sent to @Oldnewbie.

Lots of inconsistencies here in what you have posted, so I thought it would be easier to move this here ...

BitcoinFX, can you pm or email me, I have a couple questions about back in 2010.

Your account email address is 'hidden' and if I PM you then I'm not sure you can respond due to your (current) newbie account status.

You are welcome to ask me what you want, thus I suggest we continue the conversation in your related thread topic here:
- https ://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3667157  ?
HCP
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 4318
May 09, 2018, 05:29:41 AM
Can anyone explain what would happen if I created a wallet in 2010 and someone sent coins to the wallet address
If they actually did send the coins (and they haven't been moved since... the coins would still be attached to that address.

... gave me a tx number that I stuck in and hit receive, shut the wallet down and left Bitcoin demon running ( It probably didn't sync with the network) and went to work. When I got home the power had been off and the computer was off, I never had it back online since then.  I looked on the block chain at old addresses and don't see that amount around the time it happened.
None of this makes any difference... you don't have to create a "receive request" or have your wallet online or synced or running... if the other party created, signed and broadcast a transaction to the network that was subsequently included in a block by a miner... then those coins are attached to that address.

Pages:
Jump to: