Pages:
Author

Topic: Transaction script with block height as condition - page 2. (Read 3191 times)

legendary
Activity: 1072
Merit: 1178
If you held a pre-signed transaction that sends the funds back to you with a lockTime of 1 Jan 2013 that would work.
I've been out of the loop for a while.. Does lockTime work correctly nowadays? If not, when is it scheduled to be implemented?

nLocktime has ever worked since it was introduced.

What doesn't exist yet is transaction replacement (which is necessary for many, but not all, of nLocktime's applications). Thankfully, implementing transaction replacement doesn't need any protocol change or fork or miner support.
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1087
However, if the exchange is completely disappeared, the BTC in the multi-sig accounts will be lost forever. Therefore, we need some "emergency exit mechanism". When the multisig account is setting up, an additional condition is added: (e.g.) "After 1 Jan 2013, the coins in this account can be spent by signature of key U only".

If you held a pre-signed transaction that sends the funds back to you with a lockTime of 1 Jan 2013 that would work.

Lets see... thinking out loud...

Start by asking the exchange for a brand-new public key to use for their half of the 2-of-2 transaction. Call the send-coins-into-2-of-2 transaction "F" (for Fund).

You create and sign that transaction, but don't broadcast it yet.

Use it's transaction id to create a second, one-input-two-signature, lockTime=1/1/2013 transaction that refunds the coins to you.  Call that "R" (for Refund).

Send R to the exchange and ask them to sign it using that brand-new public key they gave you. The exchange checks the lockTime and then returns R and the signature to you. You check the signature, and if it is good, broadcast F (and keep the half-signed R someplace safe).

If 1/1/2013 rolls around and you want your coins back, you sign your half of R and broadcast it.

I'd have to think a little harder than I want to right now about whether or not signing R knowing only txid==HASH(F) opens up the exchange to attacks. I can't think of any, but the exchange providing a signature when it doesn't know the details of exactly what it is signing makes me nervous.

You could send the unsigned R and the signed-but-not-broadcast F to the exchange and trust that the exchange will not broadcast F unless they agree to sign R.

I think holding on to pre-signed-but-not-broadcast-yet transactions is a technique "we" don't think about enough.

I read the previous discussion at https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/optimestamp-in-script-6439 and https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/need-opblocknumber-to-allow-time-limited-transactions-1786

Satoshi rejected the idea of OP_BLOCKNUMBER because of this:

If the script language is not stateless, if it has access to any outside information that changes or varies between nodes, attackers can use it to fork the chain.  The only exception is if it is always false before a certain time and permanently true after, which is implemented with nLockTime.

Yes, he is correct. So it is possible to incorporate the idea of nLockTime into script? For example:

1. The coin can be spent by 2-by-2 multisig with key E and key U at ANY TIME
2. If block height >= x, the coin can be spent by key U. The 2-by-2 multisig, however, is still a vaild way to spend the coin.

Therefore, the first condition is permanently true, regardless of block height. The second condition is always false before block height = x, and permanently true after.

It is better than using nLockTime because the user can deposit to the script hash at any time, without the need of sending nLockTime transaction back-and-forth and storing them. It also avoids the problem of asking the exchange to sign an unknown transaction
Activity: 416
Merit: 277
I've been out of the loop for a while.. Does lockTime work correctly nowadays? If not, when is it scheduled to be implemented?

I'd have to think a little harder than I want to right now about whether or not signing R knowing only txid==HASH(F) opens up the exchange to attacks. I can't think of any, but the exchange providing a signature when it doesn't know the details of exactly what it is signing makes me nervous.

Well, the worst case scenario (under plausible assumptions) for the exchange signing something arbitrary with some key is to lose control of (or unwittingly commit to) everything associated with that key, so it's important that the key has not been used for anything else.

Now of course if my proposal about transaction id hashes not including signatures were adopted, then the funding transaction could be sent in its unsigned form to the exchange and the exchange could verify that the refund spent the funding transaction because of course the transaction id wouldn't change on signing.

ByteCoin
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216
Chief Scientist
However, if the exchange is completely disappeared, the BTC in the multi-sig accounts will be lost forever. Therefore, we need some "emergency exit mechanism". When the multisig account is setting up, an additional condition is added: (e.g.) "After 1 Jan 2013, the coins in this account can be spent by signature of key U only".

Lets see... thinking out loud...

Start by asking the exchange for a brand-new public key to use for their half of the 2-of-2 transaction. Call the send-coins-into-2-of-2 transaction "F" (for Fund).

You create and sign that transaction, but don't broadcast it yet.

Use it's transaction id to create a second, one-input-two-signature, lockTime=1/1/2013 transaction that refunds the coins to you.  Call that "R" (for Refund).

Send R to the exchange and ask them to sign it using that brand-new public key they gave you. The exchange checks the lockTime and then returns R and the signature to you. You check the signature, and if it is good, broadcast F (and keep the half-signed R someplace safe).

If 1/1/2013 rolls around and you want your coins back, you sign your half of R and broadcast it.

You could send the unsigned R and the signed-but-not-broadcast F to the exchange and trust that the exchange will not broadcast F unless they agree to sign R.

I think holding on to pre-signed-but-not-broadcast-yet transactions is a technique "we" don't think about enough.
kjj
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025
I think you totally misunderstand my proposal.

No, I got it, I understand what you are saying.  You want a script that knows what time it is (or some proxy for time), and can be valid or not valid based on that time.  It is a bad idea, and there are a whole bunch of threads that explain how and why it is a bad idea.  Don't take it personally, it is a very popular idea, but still a bad one.  Smiley

And the following notice explains why we need this system:

Your scheme probably won't help here.  If the recipient was hit by a bus, you might have a way to recall the transaction.  But if the recipient is planning to steal your money, they'll redeem the transaction first, making this pointless.

As Pieter points out, there are tools (nLockTime and P2SH) that will eventually be used to accomplish basically the same end goals, and they don't involve adding the idea of time to the script system.
legendary
Activity: 1072
Merit: 1178
Transactions actually do have a rarely-used feature called nLocktime. It can be used to specify the block height or UNIX timestamp after which the transaction is allowed to become stored in the block chain.
legendary
As far as transactions are concerned, there are no blocks, there is no chain, there is no height.  This is not an accident or an oversight.  Please search next time.

I think you totally misunderstand my proposal.

Let me explain this way: A user does not fully trust the exchange but he wants to sell his BTC through the exchange. He wants to transfer the BTC to the exchange at the last minute before he sells. However, the exchange requires 6 confirmations to prevent double-spending.

One way to do this is to have a 2-by-2 multisig account, which the exchange owns one of the keys (E), and the user owns the other key (U). The user will send his BTC to this multisig account. When the user wants to sell the BTC later, he sign a transaction by U to send the BTC in the multisig account to an account owned by the exchange exclusively. The exchange will complete the transaction by signing it with E. Since the user is not possible to double-spend, the exchange can accept it with zero confirmation and the user can sell his BTC immediately.

However, if the exchange is completely disappeared, the BTC in the multi-sig accounts will be lost forever. Therefore, we need some "emergency exit mechanism". When the multisig account is setting up, an additional condition is added: (e.g.) "After 1 Jan 2013, the coins in this account can be spent by signature of key U only". That means in the worst case, if the exchange fails tomorrow, the user can get his coins back after 1 Jan 2013.

Of course, in bitcoin world, time is measured by block height, not days. So the condition becomes "after block height > 220000, the coins in this account can be spent by signature of key U only". If the user tries to spend the coins today (block height = 201800) without involving the exchange, the transaction is considered invalid.

And the following notice explains why we need this system:

For those worried about their bitcoin, please calm yourselves there has been no hack and your coins are safe and all accounted for.

I apologize for the lack of notice and the downtime, but there isn't much choice. We will update our users on Saturday.
kjj
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025
As far as transactions are concerned, there are no blocks, there is no chain, there is no height.  This is not an accident or an oversight.  Please search next time.
legendary
I wonder if a transaction script like this would be allowed: If block height < x, use condition A; if block height >= x, use condition B

This could be very useful as trust-free, zero-confirmation exchange wallet

Assuming the exchange owns private key E, the user owns private key U, and x is the block height of near future (e.g. current block height + 10000), a transaction script would look like this: If block height < x, 2-by-2 multisig with E and U is required; if block height >= x, U is required. A script hash is derived

The user will comfortably send any amount of coins to this script hash. If private key E was compromised, no fund could be stolen. Even if the exchange operator disappeared (like Torwallet), the user could get the coins back after block x.

If the user wants to sell the coins before block x, he will sign a multisig transaction to send the coins to the address of key E (or any other addresses exclusively owned by the exchange). Since it is bound by the multisig requirement before block x, the user is not possible to double spend. Therefore, the BTC is readily available for trading with zero-confirmation.

To avoid the risk of double spend or Finney Attack, the multisig transaction should be signed by the user well before block x is generated, e.g. x - 10. After that, the exchange will not accept it by zero-confirmation. However, it will still accept it after 6 confirmations.

This also works for online wallet providers, stock market, marketplace, or Bitcoinica-type services. It won't totally eliminate the risk, but people could then deposit a large amount of BTC to these services and spend instantly at any time.

EDIT: For a bitcoin buyer, the exchange will send the freshly bought coins to the his script hash. Therefore, the buyer is also protected, while he could also sell the coins instantly.
Pages:
Jump to: