Pages:
Author

Topic: Transfer keys between USBs - page 2. (Read 2743 times)

legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564
July 07, 2017, 07:36:52 AM
Ok what is a live Linux and an airtight computer? Smiley

Live linux is a linux distribution that runs from a DVD, USB or other removable drive and which does not change things on your hard drive. It is like a virgin system that makes no permanent changes to your computer.

An air gapped (not airtight) computer is one that is never connected to any computer network. The term dates back to when we connected to computer networks using physical wires i.e. ethernet cables. To be air gapped means that their is gap between the cable and the port on the back of your PC i.e. the cable is not plugged in so there is no connection to the network.

In this day and age an air gapped computer would not be capable of network access via both wired and wireless means. So it would not have a WIFI card or a mobile network access. The hardware for such wireless access has to be removed from the computer for it to be a true air gapped PC (because otherwise deeply embedded malware could be making such connections without your knowledge).

The idea behind an air gapped computer is that any malware that might infect the computer can't communicate with the outside world so it can't steal your secrets i.e. your private keys.
HCP
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 4314
July 07, 2017, 05:43:17 AM
He means "air gapped"... basically, it is as described above... a computer disconnected from all networks (and other devices). The idea being that it helps to prevent any hacking or malware etc unless the person has physical access to the machine.

The "Live" distro is a self contained Operating System that will boot from a dvd/cdrom or usb drive and does not require any permanent storage. It will load itself completely into RAM without needing any harddrive etc.

"Tails" is one of the more widely known "live" distro for the crypto world: https://tails.boum.org/
Activity: 1358
Merit: 622
Maintain Social Distance, Stay safe.
July 07, 2017, 05:41:57 AM
I think its even you are using other OS its still not safe anytime soon if you are not using your usb for a long time or just few months usb can be damage i have lots of transcends usb disk i am using them for making bootable usb but i stop using it for few months but they are damage and never detect in computer or laptop.
So if you really want to be safe the only thing that i know your bitcoin are safe is to buy trezor wallet you can use it offline and save your bitcoin for a long time. its immune to viruses and keyloggers..
Activity: 64
Merit: 10
July 07, 2017, 05:38:01 AM

You can pick any live distro... But Tails is known to be one of the most secure ones out there.
The "air tight" part, i presume, means that it's not connected to the internet... Basically: unplug any utp cable, and make sure wlan is disabled.
Activity: 60
Merit: 0
July 07, 2017, 05:36:42 AM
legendary
Activity: 1039
Merit: 2783
Bitcoin and C♯ Enthusiast
July 06, 2017, 12:45:36 PM
As soon as you connect your USB disk to your computer, the Operating System and any program that is running on it can have access to your USB disk data (unless it is blocked by Anti virus or something). And it is not hard for a malware to copy itself on your USB disk (infect it so to speak) or read and copy its data.

For example if it is a bitcoin specific malware it can read your USB, analyze the files to see if it can find a wallet file, a list of private keys, ... and using those private keys it can broadcast it to the attacker or sweep them!

If you want to transfer sensitive information like your private keys, then do it on a clean and "air tight gapped sorry, my English sucks sometimes!" computer. You can use a live linux without persistence which is disconnected from the internet.
Activity: 60
Merit: 0
July 06, 2017, 12:01:23 PM
Hi

Is it safe to transfer private keys between to USBs, that are connected to the computer, at the same time? (two USBs inserted into the computer in other words)

I mean to hold the "alt"-button and drag/copy one key to the other USB. Is this safe to do from a security-perspective?

Or will the computer have some kind of memory of the file going between the two USBs so that a hacker can go into my computer and find the key/file?

Pages:
Jump to: