Pages:
Author

Topic: TriFire water cooling (was: Squeezing 2-slot cards into a single slot) - page 4. (Read 10549 times)

Activity: 235
Merit: 100
Before you fill your reservoirs, be sure to read this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=40325.0;topicseen  Grin

OH MAN.  Thanks for the laughs.  I love how you got "Bonkers" pissed off because he thought you were serious about the gravy.

Honestly people love to over think it.  There are no low cost fluids that have higher thermal conductivity than distilled water.  Distilled water is cheap, has low conductivity, high thermal conductivity, is easy to pump, and is non-reactive.  Kinda hard to beat that ... well except maybe with Gravy.

unfortunatlty distiled water startes out not very conductive... but over time it picls up ions from the metal in the blocks...
then 1 leak and all can be toast...

I have RMA'd quite a few motherboards in the past because they couldn't swim (of course i didn't tell Asus that)

as for Picts... I'll try to get some taken over the weekend.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
Before you fill your reservoirs, be sure to read this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=40325.0;topicseen  Grin

OH MAN.  Thanks for the laughs.  I love how you got "Bonkers" pissed off because he thought you were serious about the gravy.

Honestly people love to over think it.  There are no low cost fluids that have higher thermal conductivity than distilled water.  Distilled water is cheap, has low conductivity, high thermal conductivity, is easy to pump, and is non-reactive.  Kinda hard to beat that ... well except maybe with Gravy.
Activity: 448
Merit: 250

MadHacker, pics pics pics!

There are a lot of aquarium plumbing solutions that may help for these crazy custom configurations. They are also probably a fair bit cheaper for Guest fittings and valves and the like. You can also find some crazy gang-valves that will allow you to tailor the flow to each exchanger. www.marinedepot.com is a pretty good source to at least find pics of it...local is always faster and cheaper.

I found this is easier to route due to power supply and case location.  It is also easier to drain and disconnect as both of the inlets to the GPU cluster are on the same waterblock.

Code:

IN    OUT
       |      | 
       -->------- (gpu1)
       |      |
       -->------- (gpu2)
       |      |
       -->------- (gpu3)
       |      |
       -->------- (gpu4)

I added an arrow > on each water block to indicate that the water flows across each water block.

actual i have the same set up as you have listed above.
checking temps they are 45-53 degC
ambiant temp is about 28Deg.
6970 OC to 965, getting 432MH/s

donator
Gerald Davis
This is not entirely equal, your gpu 4 will get less flow. Although if your interconnects don't pose a lot of friction, it shouldn't be much of a problem.

True however flow usually isn't the limit of cooling capacity.   It takes a surprising little amount of flow to remove even 1 KW thermal load.  As long as your flow is high enough that it doesn't result in laminar flow you will be fine.  To anyone who doesn't know laminar flow is when the water becomes "smooth" and "efficient".  We don't want that because then only heat is transfered to the edge of the water stream reducing cooling capacity.  Modern waterblocks tend to create enough "chaos" that laminar flow won't happen unless flow rate is very very low. 

Most pumps have more than enough head to keep flow rate > 1 gpm which is more than enough to avoid laminar flow.
Activity: 714
Merit: 504
^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.
I found this is easier to route due to power supply and case location.  It is also easier to drain and disconnect as both of the inlets to the GPU cluster are on the same waterblock.

Code:

IN    OUT
       |      | 
       -->------- (gpu1)
       |      |
       -->------- (gpu2)
       |      |
       -->------- (gpu3)
       |      |
       -->------- (gpu4)

I added an arrow > on each water block to indicate that the water flows across each water block.
This is not entirely equal, your gpu 4 will get less flow. Although if your interconnects don't pose a lot of friction, it shouldn't be much of a problem.
donator
Gerald Davis
Am I correct that I only need 6 fittings for 4 blocks then?

IN - 
     ----------- (gpu1)
       |      |
     ----------- (gpu2)
       |      |
     ----------- (gpu3)
       |      |
     ----------- (gpu4)
                 - OUT     

Where each | is an SLI fitting?

Code:

IN    OUT
       |      | 
       -->------- (gpu1)
       |      |
       -->------- (gpu2)
       |      |
       -->------- (gpu3)
       |      |
       -->------- (gpu4)

You just don't want to do this
Code:
      IN   
       |      
       -->------- (gpu1)
       |      |
       -->------- (gpu2)
       |      |
       -->------- (gpu3)
       |      |
       -->------- (gpu4)
       |
    OUT 

That will cook the GPU in seconds after booting.  Shocked

IN - 
     ----------- (gpu1)
       |      |
     ----------- (gpu2)
       |      |
     ----------- (gpu3)
       |      |
     ----------- (gpu4)
                 - OUT     

that is correct.
Activity: 196

IN - 
     ----------- (gpu1)
       |      |
     ----------- (gpu2)
       |      |
     ----------- (gpu3)
       |      |
     ----------- (gpu4)
                 - OUT     

donator
Gerald Davis
I use these Feser Crossfire / SLI Multi Spacing Fittings
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8566/ex-tub-448/Feser_Crossfire_SLI_Multi_Spacing_Fittings.html?tl=g30c101s873#blank
as the poster above sugested.

Mad, are you doing serial (in one card, out to the next) or parallel (in all, out all)?

You don't want to do serial if each waterblock is the same.  The water temp rises across each GPU load.  The last card gets the hottest coolant and yet you will still expect the same performance from it.  Parallel is much better.  The inlet temp for each waterblock remains the same.

IF you have dissimilar blocks (like GPU block and CPU block) you need to do serial (or separate loops) because otherwise water will "cheat".  If one block has higher resistance the water will flow around it through the other block which is not good.  If you decide to water cool your CPU also make sure it is before the GPU.  The GPU have higher thermal load and thus will warm the coolant more.  CPU are also less accommodating of high core temps than GPU are.
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8566/ex-tub-448/Feser_Crossfire_SLI_Multi_Spacing_Fittings.html?tl=g30c101s873#blank

Mad, are you doing serial (in one card, out to the next) or parallel (in all, out all)?
parallel.
SideWinder had a deal on the Crosfire/SLI fittings so i bought 12 of them for $4 each.
they work great.

i have 6 6970's watercooled side by side and works great.

How do you get around the 8 GPU limit in AMD drivers?

6970's are only 1 GPU, your thinking of 6990's or 5970's
so i'm only using 6 GPUs total.
having a real problem getting 7 GPUs working in a single machine
donator
Gerald Davis

He doesn't - 6970 is a single-GPU card.

DOH.  I could have sworn he said 5...970.

MadHacker grab some photos.  6 watercooled GPU is worth sharing.

He doesn't - 6970 is a single-GPU card.
donator
Gerald Davis

Dear god man.. do you have pics of that?
not yet.
i should take some pictures.

i have the rads mounted in my cold air ducts.
so it directly heats teh house as well Smiley

Dear god man.. do you have pics of that?

I think now you might be realizing why I said if you can get good price of 5970s then selling the GPU for 5970s makes sense.  You only need 1 waterblock for each set of GPU.  4 GPU = only 2 cards = 1 bridge not 3.  All those things start adding up.

Basically watercooling has such a high unit cost per element being cooled you want that element to be as expensive and powerful as possible.  Dual GPU cards are a perfect fit.

It's true, and if this rig were strictly for mining I'd be going with the 5970 hands-down.  From the benchmarks I've seen however, a pair of 6950s in CF handily outperforms it in most games - albeit at a higher total TDP and complexity, and of course I have the 1GB models instead of the 2GB used in most of the benches..  but since I've got them already, that's what I'm working with Wink
Pages:
Jump to: