Pages:
Author

Topic: TrueCrypt's Web Site Updates with Ominous Warning, Details Unknown - page 2. (Read 4944 times)

Activity: 518
Merit: 521
I'm almost ready to say "Adios forum". My health hasn't been this great in years. Almost time to move on to the next big thing (NBT).

And what did I warn you about TrueCrypt just a couple of weeks ago Wink

I don't know you obviously but I hope you will get better..
Can you link me to that warning?

I hope his health to remain as it is now!
No, I'm not wishing him ill, read the part about his health again Smiley
I'll be frank, at first that's how I read it too.

EDIT: Ah! Had the Leave a reply window open for some time now and forgot to click... someone beat me to it.
EDIT2: Looked for that warning in the last 15 pages of his posts, couldn't find 'Truecrypt', except for the current thread.

It was a private warning and those who received it know who they are and what the quoted message above was intended to signal is almost ready. Wink
Activity: 508
Merit: 500
I'm almost ready to say "Adios forum". My health hasn't been this great in years. Almost time to move on to the next big thing (NBT).

I hope his health to remain as it is now!
No, I'm not wishing him ill, read the part about his health again Smiley
I'll be frank, at first that's how I read it too.

EDIT: Ah! Had the Leave a reply window open for some time now and forgot to click... someone beat me to it.
EDIT2: Looked for that warning in the last 15 pages of his posts, couldn't find 'Truecrypt', except for the current thread.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
minds.com/Wilikon
So let me get this straight - and forgive me , because I'm no expert on tech issues - TrueCrypt is/was open source and was maintained by (anonymous) volunteers. To make double sure of the integrity of its encryption (?) it raised enough funds to have an independant "audit" that would give the program a "stress test" - or am I completely off track here ?

Half way through the "audit" (which had thus far been going well) the open source volunteers agree unanimously to cease continuation/support for the Truecrypt project. Is this correct ?

Truecrypt is no longer fit for purpose ?? Sounds very odd to me.

And if its open source can't others take up the challenge ?

I use 7.0a - is this vulnerable ?

No - I think he meant that he is doing very well health wise, on the basis that he is an absolutely unprecedented genius and that he "told you so", Wilikon.

I'm almost ready to say "Adios forum".

Is that a promise ?

No - I think he meant that he is doing very well health wise, on the basis that he is an absolutely unprecedented genius and that he "told you so", Wilikon.

Yep. I knew that. Next time I will add a  Roll Eyes

The last version I know of is 7.1a.
Activity: 770
So let me get this straight - and forgive me , because I'm no expert on tech issues - TrueCrypt is/was open source and was maintained by (anonymous) volunteers. To make double sure of the integrity of its encryption (?) it raised enough funds to have an independant "audit" that would give the program a "stress test" - or am I completely off track here ?

Half way through the "audit" (which had thus far been going well) the open source volunteers agree unanimously to cease continuation/support for the Truecrypt project. Is this correct ?

Truecrypt is no longer fit for purpose ?? Sounds very odd to me.

And if its open source can't others take up the challenge ?

I use 7.0a - is this vulnerable ?

I'm almost ready to say "Adios forum".

Is that a promise ?
legendary
minds.com/Wilikon

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

Activity: 48
Merit: 24
You must not believe those awful rumors, TC project was intercepted by NSA and now they control it.
DO NOT USE 7.2 BECAUSE IT IS A COMPROMISED VERSION.
Use 7.1a from the original author, you can find it here:

http://cyberside.net.ee/truecrypt/

Always verify the sha1 and md5 checksums!
legendary
minds.com/Wilikon
Possibilities:

- UEFI was to much of a pain to overcome.
- NSA Security letter received.
- Other

Questions are:

Why wasn't it just passed to the community?
Why force people to stop using it?

Apparently it is unrelated to the audit that was being carried out. But it seems odd that the devs are advocating Bitlocker. Did money change hands?

Why would Microsoft's end-of-life date for Windows XP affect it?

Very, very odd.

I can only guess telling people to use bitlocker, a program that is closed source and only running on Windows machine is a way to say covertly that nothing is really safe anymore?

Thank you for your thread link.
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
Professional anarchist
Possibilities:

- UEFI was to much of a pain to overcome.
- NSA Security letter received.
- Other

Questions are:

Why wasn't it just passed to the community?
Why force people to stop using it?

Apparently it is unrelated to the audit that was being carried out. But it seems odd that the devs are advocating Bitlocker. Did money change hands?

Why would Microsoft's end-of-life date for Windows XP affect it?

Very, very odd.
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!
I may have spoken too soon regarding there being no real alternatives.

Investigating DiskCryptor right now. It's Windows-only, but at least it's compatible with TrueCrypt....

EDIT: *sigh* Yes, I understand Windows itself is insecure, but it's still used by many folks, and having secure data on a Windows system is of use to many people.

EDIT: Never mind
legendary
minds.com/Wilikon

Have you tried to download an old version to see what happen?  Hmmm
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!
I think this is Lavabit all over again.
Hence the instructions for Bitlocker on their page. Bitlocker being a patentary closed source encryption tool developed by Microsoft.

Yep. Apparently, the key used to sign version 7.2 on the site (the modified, declared-insecure, decrypt-only version) is the same as that used to sign previous versions, so barring an even bigger issue, this is the same folks.

Them recommending Bitlocker (ha!) is their way of letting us know they've been coerced into stopping (or scared of impending exposure, which I guess is pretty much the same thing... I wouldn't want to be a publicly-known member of the TrueCrypt development team in a post-911 world.)

Considering the nature of this shutdown, and the lack of any real alternative, I personally have every intention of continuing to use earlier versions of the software, albeit with an extra precaution or two taken.
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
With closed-source software, the failures are always bigger and more costly.
Activity: 508
I think this is Lavabit all over again.
Hence the instructions for Bitlocker on their page. Bitlocker being a patentary closed source encryption tool developed by Microsoft.
Pages:
Jump to: