Pages:
Author

Topic: Trusted members and The Escrow League - page 3. (Read 4048 times)

legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001
August 18, 2011, 12:06:59 AM
I get that people want automated escrows, but those exist already. Again, either I trust the one doing it or I'll have to review the code. Even then I need to trust the ISP, server admin, etc.

What I'm proposing here isn't trying to mitigate the need for a full blown, trusted, secure escrow service, but rather allow for an alternate solution while such a service gets established. And frankly, I like the idea of a community operated / scrutinized escrow, but the software layer just gets in the way right now.

Of course if you do implement the service and open the code then "The League" can find among its ranks a sysadmin, grab a server and run that code Wink
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
August 17, 2011, 11:57:39 PM
I could probably hack something together. I doubt my code would be hacker-proof either but I've at least got enough knowledge / skill to put it out there and let people pentest the hell out of it and i can fix whatever they find Smiley

I'm crazy busy with work and school right now but I'll see if I can find the time.
legendary
August 17, 2011, 08:40:08 PM
I'd be more for setting up some kind of web-based escrow service BACKED by human intelligence. Let there be some kind of automated system that covers all undisputed transactions but let humans settle all disputes. Your list is pretty decent so far, and though I don't have much in the way of free time I'm willing to spend some of that free time helping wherever I can. Let me know what becomes of this.

I'm totally with you, that's also what I'd like to see. But the simple truth is I don't have the time or the energy to code that, particularly not in these hacker infested days.

If ClearCoin was still around I wouldn't even consider this. Oh, and thanks!
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
August 17, 2011, 08:35:04 PM
I'd be more for setting up some kind of web-based escrow service BACKED by human intelligence. Let there be some kind of automated system that covers all undisputed transactions but let humans settle all disputes. Your list is pretty decent so far, and though I don't have much in the way of free time I'm willing to spend some of that free time helping wherever I can. Let me know what becomes of this.
legendary
August 17, 2011, 08:28:56 PM
Potential members of the league:

davout
Garrett Burgwardt
bencoder
davidonpda
FreeMoney
Gavin Andresen
jgarzik
mndrix
nanotube
noagendamarket

Just to name a few. Additions or removals, just speak your peace.

[edit] Added by self appointment
Garrett Burgwardt (fees 0.5%)
davout (fees 0.25%)
shakaru (fees 0.0%)
BiddingPond.com (fees 4.0%)
payb.tc (fees 1.0% + 0.01 BTC on http://thrucoin.com)

[edit] Added by request
mndrix
nextshare

[edit] removed by request:
The Madhatter
legendary
August 17, 2011, 08:24:35 PM
Ok, The Escrow League is kinda lame, but this is what I was thinking;

In the process of trying to do business with new members on the forum that may or may not be scammers, those that say "we'll work something out" and then when asked to choose someone trusted to escrow the bitcoins either ask half now half later (what could ever go wrong with this plan?) or appoint another new and unknown member as their trusted counterpart, which for all we know might be the same person. you know who you are, I've come to the conclusion that it's really not fair to ask new members to trust old, known members because, well, the new members don't know them.

It was quite simple back in the days, there were a few very active members that put that extra effort and became known and trusted. Many are still around, so here's my idea... Lets use a thread (this thread?) to state who we trust, and those that get appointed can say if they would be willing to serve as middleman in these potentially shady deals.

There is nothing wrong with the existing escrow services, except I don't know/trust those behind them, so it's square one all over again.

Those that would accept to act as escrow would get a fee, say 0.1%, min 0.1 max 1.0, or something of the kind.

Finally a simple set of conflict resolution rules need to be set... btcs are sent to escrow, and if either seller fails to deliver or buyer says they did, a new thread is opened for proof gathering, so sellers show the proof of having shipped stuff, sellers show proof that what they got isn't what they requested. All members of this 'league' vote and majority wins, either buyer or seller take the coins, no discussions or appeals. If resolution is needed then maybe an extra fee is in order?

Ok, next post I'll put forward some names of those I'd like to see in this league. If your name appears and you don't want it there, or if someone I put there has done you wrong, speak up and it goes away.

Or if you think I'm full of it, I can be convinced to shut up, but this community has done some great things, and scammers are having way too much bandwidth on this forum.
Pages:
Jump to: