Pages:
Author

Topic: Trying to recover old wallet - page 2. (Read 505 times)

Activity: 21
Merit: 5
January 16, 2020, 11:18:43 PM
Hmm.  Maybe it was later then.  I had seen the slashdot.org post and tried it out, dabbled with it.  I didn't take any of it seriously.  I'm fairly certain that there was a seed phrase but I can't be absolutely certain.  A bunch of random words then?

The time frame though was from when slashdot.org had posted about it being the worlds first crypto currency and it was before pool mining.  So I'm thinking mid summer.  I don't actually know what version things were at back then.  The wallet file I deleted along with the rest of it.  So, I do wonder that restoring it is even possible.  Is there a way without the wallet.dat file?  I keep thinking I'll hit a technical wall, maybe this it.  If I found the drive, I don't know that I could recover the wallet.dat file from it.
legendary
Activity: 2534
Merit: 6080
Self-proclaimed Genius
January 16, 2020, 10:43:11 PM
I'm wondering what's involved and or if the old wallets are even accessible anymore.  It was the original wallet version from the first year of bitcoins launch.  Seed phrase and then the other password and so on.
Seed phrase isn't available at that time or even today as BIP39 wasn't implemented to BitcoinCore.
It wasn't even HD at that time either, it's all random private keys so your older backups might contain outdated number of keys than the one you've used beforeafter you saved that backup.

The old wallet files might work because AFAIK devs have been keeping backwards compatibility but if you stumbled upon a problem,
there are available tools like "pywallet" to read/extract the keys from your wallet.
legendary
Activity: 3500
Merit: 6320
Crypto Swap Exchange
January 16, 2020, 10:33:25 PM
If you are talking about the original bitcoin then all you need is the wallet.dat file.
There is no seed phrase in the original software.

Take a look here for more info: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/overview-recover-bitcoin-from-any-old-storage-format-4959742

Oh, and DO A BACKUP OF THE FILE BEFORE DOING ANYTHING.

-Dave
Activity: 21
Merit: 5
January 16, 2020, 10:17:58 PM
Hello.  I have learned a bit about crypto currency over the last few years and have become a bit of an enthusiast.  Something I keep wondering though is if I can recover my old wallet from years ago.  Well back before the various bips were passed.  Almost back as far as when bitcoin launched.

I'm wondering what's involved and or if the old wallets are even accessible anymore.  It was the original wallet version from the first year of bitcoins launch.  Seed phrase and then the other password and so on.  Is there an FAQ or other documentation that I could read that covers the various upgrades that might further compound the complexities of recovering the wallet?  Wondering what's involved assuming it's possible.  I imagine there have been many upgrade forks that I'm not aware of.

I didn't mine it for a long time but dabbled with it.  I wonder that I can retrieve and restore the wallet.

Thank you for your time.
Pages:
Jump to: