Pages:
Author

Topic: Trying to run Coinbase multisig-tool locally on Linux - page 2. (Read 401 times)

Activity: 11
Merit: 5
Quote from: BitMaxz
That is I think it suggests running Chrome with this parameter "--allow-access-from-files"

Could you please tell me how I can set this up in Linux? Would I still need to perform the other steps?

For now, adding parameter --allow-access-from-files when you launch Chrome or chromium-based browser is needed since the current problem is when you execute make run, not silent error when you use the tool on the browser.

I launched Chrome with the "-allow-file-access-from-files"  parameter by typing the following command: "./chrome --allow-file-access-from-files"

What is the next step? Am I supposed to open the index.html file? Because using Chrome to simply use the web version is not an option as the API is broken (I tried it again, which resulted into "Failed!" addresses.)
All your replies are much appreciated.

I will try to install either Debian 11 or one of the older Ubuntu versions.

Why don't you just use the hosted one since it's ready to use?

The hosted version is not working correctly anymore (since years). According to other threads it's due to an SSL handshake error with an api at bipay.com. After inserting the 3 xpub keys in step 1, it generates a list of empty addresses followed by the "failure" message next to each address.

That is I think it suggests running Chrome with this parameter "--allow-access-from-files"

Could you please tell me how I can set this up in Linux? Would I still need to perform the other steps?
legendary
Activity: 2856
Merit: 7410
Crypto Swap Exchange
And Ubuntu makes it particularly hard to install Python 2 in recent versions of the distro, so you should start with an older Ubuntu version such as Trusty (14.04) or Precise (12.04) that have Python 2.7 bundled.

Not only Ubuntu, but most newer version of linux distro. And i'd recommend to use Debian 11 since it's newest version of Debian and still ship Python 2.7[1] rather than using EOL version of Ubuntu.

[1] https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/python2.7
legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 6660
bitcoincleanup.com / bitmixlist.org
The error is trying to tell you that you need to install Python (2, not 3). SimpleHTTPServer is a Python 2 class and it has been deleted in Python 3.

And Ubuntu makes it particularly hard to install Python 2 in recent versions of the distro, so you should start with an older Ubuntu version such as Trusty (14.04) or Precise (12.04) that have Python 2.7 bundled.
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 2943
Block halving is coming.
Never use this Coinbase vault recovery before but based on what I understand from the guide on Github under the "make run" it looks like a permission issue.

Code:
Running locally
If you wish to run the tool locally, you need to do it through a local web server. The easiest way to do that is by running:

make run
This is because we use Web Workers for decrypting your BIP38 encrypted shared key seed, and Web Workers are not permitted to run through the file:/// protocol.

Another alternative is to run Chrome with the --allow-access-from-files parameter.

Why don't you just use the hosted one since it's ready to use?
They do only need the online on the first step when pasting public keys after they found balances you can now turn internet off and start the recovery process.
After Coinbase multisig vault was discontinued in 2018, a third-party multisig-tool was introduced on Github.
But that one stopped working as well.

According to this thread: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.61722006 the forked version (https://github.com/dlajarretie/multisig-tool) still works correctly but needs to be run locally.

I am stuck halfway in the instructions provided on Github and would appreciate if someone could guide me through the rest.

My progress so far:
-I installed Linux Ubuntu on a spare computer
-I installed npm and browserify
-I cloned the repository from: https://github.com/dlajarretie/multisig-tool

I entered the following commands in the multisig-tool repository in the terminal:
-npm install bitcoinjs-lib
-npm install --save bip38
-npm install bip38 crypto-browserify --save
-browserify -r bip38 -s Bip38 > lib/multisig/bip38.js
The latter command didn't show anything in the terminal, but I do see the "bip38.js"  file in the lib/multisig folder so  it could've been successful.

Are there any other steps I've to perform before going further?

When I enter "make run", I get the following error:

cd lib/multisig && \
../../node_modules/.bin/browserify -r ./vault -r ./views/addresses_view > ../../multisig.js
python -m SimpleHTTPServer
make: python: No such file or directory
make: *** [Makefile:2: run] Error 127

I look forward to hearing from the community and very much appreciate the help.
Also shoutout to o_e_l_e_o for being extremely helpful in the DM's.
Pages:
Jump to: