Pages:
Author

Topic: Turn off S7's during peak hours? Special deal from power company... - page 2. (Read 1663 times)

Activity: 109
Merit: 10
you are forced to shut the miners down during peak hours if you're having this plan:

http://www.coinwarz.com/calculators/bitcoin-mining-calculator/?h=4860&p=1210&pc=0.50171&pf=1.00&d=113354299801.47100000&r=25.00000000&er=402.18060000&hc=0.00

basically, you're losing 25 cents per hour when you keep them running during the peak hours... At current price and block rewards offcourse Wink
DrG
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035
I would keep the miners in an idled state - at least keep the fans running and the OS up - power cycling delicate electronics tends to kill things especially at start up.

Unplugging the ethernet cable and plugging it back in is one easy way - or restrict access in your router if you know how.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001
Oh this difference on price is crazy its near 10 times. I think that could be a good decision to turn off the miners on higher prices hours during these two months. But its better that you make some numbers before deciding, you will need to look about bitcoin price, difficulty, and these will be after the halving.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 3406
Crypto Swap Exchange
Of course it would be worth it. Don't even have second thought on it since the difference of rate in peak hours it's crazy high as opposed to normal hours plus it's just 5 hours a day so it would even help lengthen the miners life as it gets some rest daily as opposed to running it 24/7 so the pros are more than it's cons so switch the S7 off during peak hours.
Activity: 453
Merit: 250
I would say its worth it.....unless btc price rises. This will be after the halving tho so It may really really worth it to do so, but like I said unless the btc price rises. BUT if you don't care about the bill and just want to grow your BTC and can pay for the bill in fiat without it changing your livelihood, I would say go for it. I pay $.13/Kwh and I mine regardless if I profit or lose because who knows what tomorrow brings.

Another thing to consider is Bitfury, Bitmain and others will be out with new chips with in the next few months and the diff will rise making it that much less profitable and then the halving right after that. The s7 may or may not be profitable by then, so consider everything and do some math and draw a conclusion, you can always turn them on if something changes.
Activity: 79
Merit: 10
Question: Is it ok to turn off miners each day for a few hours during peak electricity rates?

Here is what I am thinking...

NVEnergy offers a "Time of Use" plan where your peak hours are billed very high but non-peak hours are very low. This helps with keeping energy down during the peak hours of scalding hot months in Las Vegas. The plan I am looking at calls "peak" hours from 2pm to 7pm ONLY during the months of July and August billed at a rate of .50171 kWh...BUT ALL other hours the rest of the year are billed at under .06 kWh. This is a great deal for me who has a second meter on my detached garage with very little power usage. So the high peak rates would not affect my regular household. I would need to do some research on getting some sort of timer to shut down the power to the miners during those hours for two months. Turning these off would save me $210 per year per S7. Is it worth it? Thoughts?
Pages:
Jump to: