Pages:
Author

Topic: undervolt antminer s3 - page 2. (Read 26411 times)

legendary
Activity: 4172
Merit: 8075
'The right to privacy matters'
May 08, 2015, 11:19:48 PM
Hi soy,
If you really looking to improve efficiency then you have to down-clock the S3, the sweet spot is 150Mhz.
Once you drop the clock you should be able to lower the voltage even further down than 9v on your power supply.
I like the idea of simply moding the power-supply instead of moding each of the 16 step down voltage converters on the s3 board, which is a major p.i.t.a.
I would really like to see your results at 150Mhz and see if your power supply mod can match my S3 pencil mod efficency (180w @ 305 Gh/s on the wall)

Regards,
-Jay

I need photos of where to rub the pencil.  what spots are the resistors located. thank you
Activity: 442
Merit: 250
Found Lost beach - quiet now
May 07, 2015, 01:05:51 PM
success undervolt ant s3+ 0.63j/gh  .68v on my digital tester

305 gh
freq 150
config voltage 065
new firmware

hw .003 30ment. idle

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=671189.new#new

Has anyone else tried this and had the same success?

antminer s3+ undervolt

here is the better result

update new firmware
310gh
freq. 150
adv. config voltage 065
HW .003 20 ment. idle

how to drop voltage

parallel 2.2k resistor on VFB to Vout resistor

.68 for 2.2k
.75 for 6.8k

https://i.imgur.com/mxxI2t6.png
https://i.imgur.com/Zw3El3U.png
https://i.imgur.com/VL9AGvu.png
https://i.imgur.com/5oGshqw.png

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.10214088
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.10222598

I've undervoltaged my S1s and am considering for S3s. But I thought with the right firmware you could undervoltage the S3s directly in firmware without having to do hardware mods or use the HB-lead method like many of us did on the S1s. Let me know where I'm going wrong and whether the mods make a significant increase in efficiency or reduction of J/Gh. If there's a link to a proven/best method that outlines firmware needed, steps required, etc., please let me know. Thanks.
Activity: 8
Merit: 0
March 17, 2015, 11:30:42 PM
Hi all i'm back. look at http://www.digchip.com/datasheets/parts/datasheet/477/TPS53355-pdf.php

its the data on the tps53355. look at fig 17,18,19,20  shows a about a 3% inceras lowering the voltage but only in the 4-6 amp range. + or - lowers efficiency. also the lower the out put voltage lower the efficiency.

so this chip is at best 90% with a 90% psu so give the power co. 19% of you btc on a good day. if i have to take a stab at it i would have to say 75% makes it to the asic.

the further you under volt the less the PSU efficiency. with the increase in hash rate and lesser efficiency it may be brake even or worse.

i say we need to look else ware. fans at 100% X2 is about 25watts on a 90% psu is a 4 watt loss per miner.
go AC fans or one big one.

im looking at solar. roi in 4years and if this BTC thing is a bust can sell KWHs back to the power co and 90% efficiency.also standard solar pannals can be configured as 12v or 6v.

fyi the asic blade will continue to work at the lowest 4v and the control board will cut out at 5V.

hope it helps.
Activity: 285
Merit: 250
Turning money into heat since 2011.
February 23, 2015, 12:45:06 AM
From what I see in the (generally low res) S5 board pics I could find, I don't see any chips that could be buck converters or FETs capable of handling the current draw of the BM1384 ASICs.  Whether the ASICS are is series or using a voltage divider-- that is likely why lowering the power supply voltage changes the efficiency of the an S5.  If anybody knows what they are using to drop the voltage to the ASICS, I'd like to know.

The S3s have voltage regulators on the board, which would explain why the overall power draw is about the same when the power supply voltage is lowered.  Drop the voltage, raise the current supplying the regulator.  In my experience; the efficiency will be a little bit lower with a reduced power supply voltage, because the slightly higher higher current will result in more wire and board trace heating.

Activity: 30
February 20, 2015, 12:01:04 AM
Hi soy,
If you really looking to improve efficiency then you have to down-clock the S3, the sweet spot is 150Mhz.
Once you drop the clock you should be able to lower the voltage even further down than 9v on your power supply.
I like the idea of simply moding the power-supply instead of moding each of the 16 step down voltage converters on the s3 board, which is a major p.i.t.a.
I would really like to see your results at 150Mhz and see if your power supply mod can match my S3 pencil mod efficency (180w @ 305 Gh/s on the wall)

Regards,
-Jay
soy
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1013
February 14, 2015, 05:03:27 PM
Just throwing this out there.  Bitmain mentions running the S5s with a 9 volt PSU for better efficiency.  Has anybody tried this on a S3?  Would it be possible?  Would be nice if we could just plug in a 9 volt PSU without having to do any internal mods to the S3s.  Of course I dont know whats required to run the S5s on 9 volt either.  

I run my miners off adjustable power supplies.  Right now I'm for the first time taking a Kill-A-Watt and measuring the stats at the wall for my two S3's, two S3+'s and single C1.  

The Kill-A-Watt had been on the C1 for 1097 hours, used 921KW.

The two S3's need some explaining.  I bought those on Amazon before I realized the advantage of buying directly.  The first from CryptoCrane in the mid-west was excellent.  The second from Pines Computer in Florida was a dog in a box that had been opened on the bottom and resealed, having two crappy hashboards.   I should have returned the S3 to Pines Computer and taken my Amazon refund but instead I opened it up and re-applied heat sink compound.  Still ran lousy but now I had worked on it.  I ended up taking one board out and putting it in the good miner from CryptoCrane and now both run about the same, each having a board that's not so good, one coming up with an x and the other coming up with a - , both running in the high 420's but constantly dropping and getting restarted from a short program.

As I said I'm in the process of measuring stats of the 5 miners.  I put the Kill-A-Watt in the S3 from Pines because I had to reboot it due to a 0000000- 00000000 chain.  After an hour it was running at 389 watts, 4.84 amps.  I should note that includes a small 120vac fan I picked up at Walmart and point in to the intake fan.  I have one of those on each S3 and they both have a single bad board now.

I check the S3 from CryptCrane (now having one of the bad boards from Pines in Florida) and see 399 watts at the wall and 4.72 amps but it hasn't been running an hour since putting in my one Kill-A-Watt.

After I get stats on all my miners, stats for at least an hour's duration, I'll see what the lowest level I can reliably set my variable supplies to and try running the Pines for an hour on the Kill-A-Watt.  I can probably get 10.5vdc for a test.  

I'll get back to you on if the lower supply voltage shows a significant change in at the wall wattage.

I have considered measuring the dc current in but I would use a 25 watt 1% .1 ohm resistor and if I'm getting 85% efficiency from my supplies then the 4.84 watts@120vac, PF .66 or 31.68 amps @12vdc, I squared R will be 100 watts so no go with the .1 ohm 25 watt resistor.  I was thinking of buying shunts from China but then why.  I'm scraping to keep these running with economic effectiveness.

I'd like to see somebody in China offer 50 amp and 100 amp shunts having small parasitic digital readouts.  With those my balancing power supplies would be a snap.

soy

The second S3+ is running its hour so meanwhile I dropped the voltage on the S3 from Pines down to 10.23vdc, min I could get for now but will be able to get down to low 9v's with a resistor change.  More and I'd worry about the supplies.  There's no Kill-A-Watt on it but it seems to be running, albeit at a lower hashrate.  ...later - up 27 minutes and the hashrate has picked up to 440GH/s avg. but it usually runs almost normal for an hour or two then drops and right now it's cooling.  So, I'm going to shut it down and see if I can get it running at about 9.5vdc with the Kill-A-Watt.  

...nuts, could only get it down to 9.9vdc given my available options without breaking out a soldering iron.  Wake up is 401 watts compared to wakeup at 12vdc and 389 watts.  First blush says no power savings from reducing the voltage into the miner.  One would expect something given the fans run slower.  But fans are pulse width controlled and if the pulses are wider but at a lower voltage this might mean higher current?  DC motors run more efficiently at a higher voltage don't they given a better back emf?

I think my next step is to drop the voltage in on one of the S3+'s and look for a power savings.  Then put the good board back in the first S3, the good one from CryptoCrane and get the two sucky boards back in the second S3 from Pines Computer in Florida selling on Amazon.  I'll look to see if there had been any mods to the voltage regulators, and check the ASICs are correct.  I'll measure resistor values at the voltage regulators but my guess is China realized Pines is a slock shop and sent them a crappy product.

Just went back and corrected the wakeup voltage of the S3 at 12 volts to 389watts and after an hour it was drawing 390 watts.  So, the wakeup at 401 watts @ 9.9vdc looks like a 3% power increase.

Interesting - the 9.9vdc is causing one of the boards to give me a fan speed of 15300 while the other fan is 1560.  First time I've had a fan speed an order of magnitude high.

The 12v 1hr stats were 390watts, 4.84amps, 120.6VAC, .66PF, 583VA $238/year
The 9.9v 1hr stats were 400watts, 5.00amps, 118.9VAC, .67PF, 594VA $256/year

I'll let it run like this overnight and see if the stats settle.  Wall voltage changes with neighbors returning home after work and dinner getting cooked.  A 7.5% cost increase per year.  Interesting to see if it effects the hashrate drop.  Really wish I hadn't put one of the bad boards in the good miner right now.

Of course I'm taking my supplies out of their comfort zone.  The miner efficiency may have improved while the supplies' efficiency dropped.  Can't really tell without high current shunts.
-------------
Now having shut down the first S3 from CryptoCrane in the mid-west and the second S3 from Pines Computer in Florida (open box at bottom and resealed, two slow hashing boards), and having put back to original configuration of 2 good boards in the unit from the mid-west, I've fired up the good S3 while set at 12.0vdc for a 1 hour run.  I'll take readings then raise the voltage to 12.6vdc and give it another hour.  Meanwhile I'll carefully clean and rebuild the S3 from Florida with its original slow boards.  I plan to take some time and measure that resistor dictating voltage on the 8 regulators.  Kind of does reflect life.  So many aged retirees in Florida ripe for the picking by scam artists and street people living rough in the warm weather, crime is high.  They elect politicians that claim to represent law and order.  Such a high rate of criminals on TV tracked down have some history in Florida.  The BFL honcho got convicted of postal mail fraud in Florida.  The criminals range from street people all the way up.  Texas likewise.  If a Florida politician gets elected to a national office in 2016 expect the middle class economy to be impaired similar to my mining with the crappy S3 from Florida.

The good S3 is running and reading taken without the external 120VAC fan.  When the slow S3 is up I'll put both fans on it but its reading aren't useful.
-------------
Before putting #2 (from Florida) back together, I checked some resistors for consistency.  R14 as measured from the gold pad to the junction of R14 and the capacitor was consistent on one board and generally 2% lower than the other hashing board and the higher measuring board had a greater variation among the 8 resistors.  So, for the highest measuring resistors I took a #2 pencil and brought the highest down to a consistent average that being 2% higher than the other board.  Time will tell if one of the two boards improves.  

---------------

Decided to take a 3rd reading of the good S3 but at 9.7vdc.  Interesting result at wakeup - both fans read an order of magnitude high.  Two good hashing boards.

--------------------

So, for my setup, with 12vdc datum, these are the results:

12.0vdc  datum
12.7vdc  cost 104%
9.7vdc    cost 107%

Clearly I should run at 12vdc and look elsewhere for efficiency.

soy

Fan speeds now within correct ballpark range - this at 12vdc.  So, fan speed an order of magnitude high - it's the power supply.
Activity: 4
February 12, 2015, 12:43:53 PM

305 gh
freq 150
config voltage 065
new firmware

hw .003 30ment. idle

antminer s3+ undervolt

here is the better result

update new firmware
310gh
freq. 150
adv. config voltage 065
HW .003 20 ment. idle

how to drop voltage

parallel 2.2k resistor on VFB to Vout resistor

.68 for 2.2k
.75 for 6.8k

https://i.imgur.com/mxxI2t6.png
https://i.imgur.com/Zw3El3U.png
https://i.imgur.com/VL9AGvu.png
https://i.imgur.com/5oGshqw.png

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.10214088
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.10222598
Activity: 56
February 08, 2015, 02:29:09 AM

305 gh
freq 150
config voltage 065
new firmware

hw .003 30ment. idle

January 19, 2015, 03:05:40 PM

305 gh
freq 150
config voltage 065
new firmware

hw .003 30ment. idle

January 06, 2015, 03:15:03 PM
Bitmain stats for the S5

3.   When better power efficiency is needed in the future due to higher network difficulties, you may want to buy some special PSUs 9V DC with more than 10A output, which will allow you to have a 0.2J/GH mining efficiency, but at lower hashing speed.

9V at 10A is only 90 watts.  You can find 9V PSU around this size, I'm looking at one now that's 16A.  Wondering if I could use it on the S3? 
Activity: 122
Merit: 100
January 06, 2015, 01:52:58 PM
Is there a setting with the new firmware to make the S3 more energy efficent?
Does changing the voltage and frequenty lead to better power efficiency.

No!
the voltage field is obviously without any function.

Same as the S5, it also has no voltage settings.

If you find a 9V PSU either 400W or 600W with good eta (pls show me), you will probably get the S3 oder S5 to work with better efficiency.
January 06, 2015, 12:13:09 PM
Just throwing this out there.  Bitmain mentions running the S5s with a 9 volt PSU for better efficiency.  Has anybody tried this on a S3?  Would it be possible?  Would be nice if we could just plug in a 9 volt PSU without having to do any internal mods to the S3s.  Of course I dont know whats required to run the S5s on 9 volt either. 
Activity: 353
Merit: 251
December 23, 2014, 01:59:31 PM
Is there a setting with the new firmware to make the S3 more energy efficent?
Does changing the voltage and frequenty lead to better power efficiency.
I need to make some room in my farm for 2 S5's and only have 4 kw.
November 30, 2014, 10:13:55 AM
I think you have to disassemble the s3 and apply pencil mod to undervolt like s1.
It was described here somewhere in the threads. But the gain was obviously not like s1.
the voltage input field in the latest s3 firmware is very likely an error, my own tests did not show results on the wall and I have not found a single postive result via google...
November 29, 2014, 05:35:31 AM

changing the voltage does NOT appear to change the wattage at the wall...  wtf?

Does anyone else have anymore ideas on how to get the S3 to become more energy efficent? 
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000
November 27, 2014, 10:55:55 PM

changing the voltage does NOT appear to change the wattage at the wall...  wtf?
legendary
November 27, 2014, 11:26:44 AM
regarding to the new Miner configuration setting in Oct.2014 Firmware I did not find too much with search.

do these voltage settings really apply? I doubt.

stock it has voltage numbers like 0725. is it really = 0.725V?
Which steps are supported? for me it's not always plausible when I check the watt meter. changing in volts do not change watts.

e.g.

0.65V  150M = roughly 300GH/s = 235Watt at the wall (normal 80plus PSU)
0.50V  150M = same 300 GH/s and same 235W
0.50V  175M =  350GH sucking 270W from wall and being louder

Huh

HW errors = zero

Are there some more steps to apply in between given frequencies with editing some config files in the files system?

BTW: asymmetrical S3:
Code:
Chain# ASIC# Frequency Temp ASIC status
1 16 175  39 oooooooo oooooooo
2 16 175  35 -ooooooo oooooooo

I have not tested it yet.. but if the wattage measured at the wall does not change, then the voltage did NOT apply
November 26, 2014, 02:55:19 AM
With the new antMiner_S320141013 update on Bitmain's website you can easily modify the voltage under "miner configuration" then "advanced settings". I have played around with .63v but I get more hw than I would like. A voltage of .72v at 243.7mhz gives me a solid 490gh/s while using about the same wattage as stock.

Are you doing this with the s3 or s3+?  Do you know if there is a difference?

Nope, there isnt.

Most of my S3's do NOT have the advanced tab for freq/volts.  some have the advanced tab with only freq.  only the last 5 s3's i bought this week have the volt section under the freq. 

Can the older s3's but upgraded to do the volts thru the gui?,  can the older s3's be volted via ssh?

Yes.  You can get the latest firmware from the bitmain site.
legendary
November 26, 2014, 12:59:23 AM
With the new antMiner_S320141013 update on Bitmain's website you can easily modify the voltage under "miner configuration" then "advanced settings". I have played around with .63v but I get more hw than I would like. A voltage of .72v at 243.7mhz gives me a solid 490gh/s while using about the same wattage as stock.

Are you doing this with the s3 or s3+?  Do you know if there is a difference?

Nope, there isnt.

Most of my S3's do NOT have the advanced tab for freq/volts.  some have the advanced tab with only freq.  only the last 5 s3's i bought this week have the volt section under the freq. 

Can the older s3's but upgraded to do the volts thru the gui?,  can the older s3's be volted via ssh?

November 20, 2014, 10:19:13 PM
regarding to the new Miner configuration setting in Oct.2014 Firmware I did not find too much with search.

do these voltage settings really apply? I doubt.

stock it has voltage numbers like 0725. is it really = 0.725V?
Which steps are supported? for me it's not always plausible when I check the watt meter. changing in volts do not change watts.

e.g.

0.65V  150M = roughly 300GH/s = 235Watt at the wall (normal 80plus PSU)
0.50V  150M = same 300 GH/s and same 235W
0.50V  175M =  350GH sucking 270W from wall and being louder

Huh

HW errors = zero

Are there some more steps to apply in between given frequencies with editing some config files in the files system?

BTW: asymmetrical S3:
Code:
Chain# ASIC# Frequency Temp ASIC status
1 16 175  39 oooooooo oooooooo
2 16 175  35 -ooooooo oooooooo
Pages:
Jump to: