Pages:
Author

Topic: Unintentional plagiarism - page 2. (Read 536 times)

Activity: 1288
Merit: 504
July 26, 2021, 05:17:11 PM
There is nothing like unintentional plagiarism as all forms of copy and paste without reference are termed plagiarism that is why writers are always advised to properly read over and edit their scripts before posting them for upward reviews to avoid being caught in the middle of either knowing or unknowingly plagiarism. This forum has zero-tolerance for plagiarism cases.
Even reading and editing it is plagiarism in itself, just of a different kind and that is paraphrasing. Plagiarism is something that comes out of a person's conscious thought so, there is nothing accidental about it. You might blame it on ignorance, not to have been aware of such rules or the gravity of it with regards to the forum but then, you still committed intentionally either ways. That's just the way it is.
Plagiarism doesn't start and end with the forum, in the literate word, it is just the same exact thing but then, the detecting and enforcing of the law on it is what haven't gained a full recognition as it should have been and as such, it is ignored by most persons but here in the forum, uts a serious crime. Don't say you weren't told!
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
July 26, 2021, 04:09:14 PM
For instance, we can see the difference between "I read an article on CoinDesk that (this guy) claimed that Bitcoin will reach 0" versus blatantly copying a quote or source without citing any source.

Clearly. It (also) depends on how much "purist" is the one who "checks" for plagiarism.

IMO, that doesn't fall under plagiarism because you did specify that the content was sourced elsewhere.

Well, while I would (mostly) agree with you, OP has clearly stated that not citing the source correctly (which is clearly there in my case, since my example even tells "I've read somewhere" instead of "I've read on CoinDesk") falls under "unintentional plagiarism". And that's what I try to point out.
As you see, people already have different opinions on that. My take is that it depends on how is the idea formulated afterwards. If it's (almost) identical text as in the source article, it's probably plagiarism. If only the broad idea is said then it's probably not plagiarism, it's just discussion (the possible culprit receives the benefit of the doubt)
Activity: 1750
Merit: 260
Binance #SWGT and CERTIK Audited
July 26, 2021, 03:55:29 PM

If I am not wrong, I believe most of those who have been caught users that committed plagiarism are caught not on that  scale in which the user has been promoted to higher rank. And I don't kinda believe on unintentional plagiarism since there is no such thing IMO.
Activity: 110
Merit: 131
July 26, 2021, 10:12:25 AM
There is no accidental plagiarism only ignorance. If you recite or get your information from another source please include the link. If you're paraphrasing and building your arguments based on some research you've done it's probably still better to include the source.
Activity: 2016
Merit: 531
FREE passive income eBook @ tinyurl.com/PIA10
July 26, 2021, 09:54:48 AM

There's one case that comes into my mind: people telling "I've read somewhere that and ".
Is that (unintentional) plagiarism or not? Is the source important if only the general idea is passed?
I'd say that there's no general answer for this and it depends...

IMO, that doesn't fall under plagiarism because you did specify that the content was sourced elsewhere.

For instance, we can see the difference between "I read an article on CoinDesk that (this guy) claimed that Bitcoin will reach 0" versus blatantly copying a quote or source without citing any source.
Activity: 1120
Merit: 272
First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold
July 26, 2021, 09:12:07 AM
It is hard to believe those people who do unintentional plagiarism and for those who are doing it on purpose.

Some criminals are saying that they don't know what they are doing and they just do plagiarism accidentally, they are denying some accusations.

Even if it is unintentional or not, it is still prohibited in any platforms that's why keep in mind to always cite or to give credit to the original owner of a certain article or something.
Activity: 1148
Merit: 555
July 26, 2021, 05:47:40 AM
It is not intentional when a post stated "I've read somewhere about ____ and _____ about ____ when that user knows that it is not his/her content in the first place unless he/she will provide the link where he/she read that content from and it won't be a plagiarism as result.
Hmmm it still is. It is possible the user " forgot" to cite the source or didn't remember the exact source they got the in formation. But that will be for the moderators to decide.
Activity: 352
Merit: 10
July 26, 2021, 04:46:18 AM
It is not intentional when a post stated "I've read somewhere about ____ and _____ about ____ when that user knows that it is not his/her content in the first place unless he/she will provide the link where he/she read that content from and it won't be a plagiarism as result.
legendary
Activity: 2240
Merit: 4133
eXch.cx - Automatic crypto Swap Exchange.
July 26, 2021, 02:36:38 AM
I want to dwell on unintentional plagiarism;
Plagiarism may be said to be unintentional if the plagarist misuses the appropriate method of citation(citing an unexisting or different url from the source). In parentheses is as related to this forum. Or when the plagarist does not know that what he/she copied needs to be cited. Or when the plagarist intention is not to cheat.

There shouldn't be two ways about it, it's either you plagiarized or you didn't. The moment you intentionally copied an article from online, the source should be given credit to, that's how it should be. I don't blame those that come into the forum and plagiarized though, I mean it's becoming a norm thing in the society these days so they might think it doesn't matter here. There's no more morals in the society, people easily steal people works without giving credit to and they go unpunished.

On other social platform, plagiarism isn't been punished as works are been stolen daily without no credits been given and yet there's no punishment to it. e.g on twitter, Facebook etc you can easily copy someone works, post it and get all the credit. Credit has to be given to this forum for still implementing rules that helps keep humanity in check.

The punishment the forum gives for plagiarism help resharp those guilty of it (atleast those that are sorry about what they did and want to change) as it helps them understand that when you steal you'll get punished.
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1024
Hello Leo! You can still win.
July 25, 2021, 08:06:26 PM

• The intent is also considered, was the user wearing a signature when the post was made? Does it bring them any form of benefit, or were they just excited about sharing some new information.
I also heard the opinion that "no signature means the user is innocent", but this does not work.
The user can shill the project or increase the number of posts.
It is now I understood @Upgrade00 reply.  It is assumed the intent is to make money if the user us wearing a signature. And if no signature, it is assumed the user just wanted to impress readers.
legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 4270
July 25, 2021, 07:19:23 PM

• The intent is also considered, was the user wearing a signature when the post was made? Does it bring them any form of benefit, or were they just excited about sharing some new information.
I also heard the opinion that "no signature means the user is innocent", but this does not work.
The user can shill the project or increase the number of posts.
__
KingsDen, you better try to be a useful member for the forum, and then you will have a better chance of being exonerated in case of a mistake.
Plagiarism is not liked and not forgiven here, many users' accounts have been blocked for this reason.
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1024
Hello Leo! You can still win.
July 25, 2021, 06:59:26 PM
I'd say user which writing other people idea is also plagiarism too, you can find it on Spam mega thread (mostly on Altcoin section) and read pages after 3-5 all they said is only repeating answer on the pages 1.
This is very correct, I noticed this several times. Most posters will just read the content of others reply and summarise all by paraphrasing. Then drop it as their own reply under the same thread. That act is irritating and depicts laziness at its peak.

The most annoying aspect of it is that established members do it too. It should only be a newbie thing if it's to exist, but surprisingly I have seen established members upto snr members doing it. I have not actually seen a hero or legendary member do it.
Activity: 616
Merit: 161
July 25, 2021, 03:15:41 PM
The problem here is that the forum itself (and I am not talking about this forum in particular, but web Forums in general) is treated more like a casual conversation than a scientific information resource where citation and acknowledgment are required. I am referring to unintentional plagiarism of course. Most people have never written a serious paper in school and actually have no idea that those things are required when you are conveying someone elses ideas. This is a much broader problem than just not following the rules of the forum.
Activity: 1400
Merit: 655
Bitcoin is achievement
July 25, 2021, 02:10:35 PM
Can one actually Carry out Unintentional plagiarism  ?
Not at all, they're all performed intentionally as a result of ignorance over a topic, laziness,idea or event,not been aware of how the regulations and rule of an organization is meant to be, one can put oneself in a bastardized situation as a result of plagiarism.
The Fear of not making up a quality post leads to plagiarism, Most post are actually for the quest of Merits,so trying to make a quality and lengthy but post will want to carry out such acts......So Unintentional Plagiarism can't be done.
Activity: 1148
Merit: 555
July 25, 2021, 01:37:51 PM
Recently made a similar post about plagiarism. It is still an ongoing discussion and one I doubt will end soon. The forum doesn't take kindly to plagiarism. If you go to LoyceV's thread. you will find dozens of accounts reported for plagiarism some new some old. Turns out that even if you are Legendary you could get banned for plagiarism you did as a newbie. Personally I think a first time offender should be given the benefit of a doubt...a warning maybe. That way if the user plagiarises for the second time then he should be banned.
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1156
July 25, 2021, 11:15:03 AM
There's no such unintentional plagiarism, all of them is considered as plagiarism if they copy someone works. What I mean isn't copy and paste all entire other people works, but someone who paraphrasing general opinions and claiming as his own. Of course no one will know since other user might think it's general/appropriate answer.

I'd say user which writing other people idea is also plagiarism too, you can find it on Spam mega thread (mostly on Altcoin section) and read pages after 3-5 all they said is only repeating answer on the pages 1.
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 3858
Farewell o_e_l_e_o
July 25, 2021, 11:04:38 AM
1. Intentional Plagiarism(Purposeful appropriation of others work)
2. Unintentional Plagiarism.
It is easy to find what plagiarism one member makes is. How?

• Look at post history
  • If it is full of plagiarism, you can easily conclude that is a spammer, first and then plagiarism is made intentionally.
  • If it is good and show some good effects, it is a first step to somewhat believe a single plagiarism could be unintentionally
  • The forum gives members with good net-effects a chance to get a softer restriction on their accounts: signature ban, signature ban + account ban for a while, etc.

Plagiarism may be said to be unintentional if the plagarist misuses the appropriate method of citation(citing an unexisting or different url from the source).
Moderators will never ban such cases if members make typos, mistakes when quoting, editing or leaving sources.
legendary
Activity: 2310
Merit: 10758
There are lies, damned lies and statistics. MTwain
July 25, 2021, 10:17:31 AM
<…>
Rules are general guidelines, ands mods can interpret them for a given case. Nevertheless trying to discern whether plagiarism on a given case is intended or unintended is not necessarily something that I’d say is given much attention to.

Interpreting intention is not, in general terms, something that is going to be conclusive one way or another, so more often than not, the focus is going to be on the singular fact that plagiarism has been committed (by forum standards), that to second guess the reasons behind.

As I and others have reiterated over time, and due to this being one of the main causes for accounts being banned, a simple explicit well versed explanation above the posting textbox would not leave much wiggle room for complaints.
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
July 25, 2021, 09:28:14 AM
Personally, I don't believe in anything called unintentional plagiarism.

There's one case that comes into my mind: people telling "I've read somewhere that and ".
Is that (unintentional) plagiarism or not? Is the source important if only the general idea is passed?
I'd say that there's no general answer for this and it depends...

So I'd go by the same statement as said just before me:

Its case to case basis actually.
legendary
Activity: 2072
Merit: 1315
July 25, 2021, 09:13:11 AM
Having rejected unintentional plagiarism, I think it should rather be called plagiarism due to ignorance. Maybe, you are unaware of the conventions of citation. Then, you are unwilling to find the appropriate way to cite(plagiarism due to laziness). These are understandable to me, but unintentional plagiarism I do not understand.
Thanks all!
Its case to case basis actually. There are some in the past who committed some plagiarism but since they contributed a lot in forum, Im pretty sure admins have considered it.

Plagiarism is a big sin so those who got banned are probably did with intent their did. If someone did plagiarism, then he is aware of it especially if he didnt understand those terms and condition you stated.
Pages:
Jump to: