Pages:
Author

Topic: Unstoppable domains and crypto payments. - page 2. (Read 885 times)

legendary
Activity: 2758
Merit: 6830
I'm assuming it isn't a wallet, but it is just an URL shortener. If I get the chsance, I'll do a bit more research.  I'm a bit cautious about preregistering domain names for new TLDs. In the past, some of the registries have taken the fee, and then put the name up for auction, or sold to a higher offer. $10 seemed worth the risk though, as it could be a useful service.
It is a URL shortner. But the domain is only registered in Zilliqa’s blockchain. If you type the domain in your regular browser, it won’t see it as valid.

If you type the URL in a wallet that doesn’t support it, it won’t do anything either. You need a wallet that has their code implemented so it knows that this is a Zilliqa’s unstoppable domain and that it should look for it at their blockchain for the address and/or the IP of the website server.

So it needs a supported browser and wallet for it to work.

From their FAQ:

Does Unstoppable Domains provide you with a wallet?

Yes, but only for holding your blockchain domains. In order to send and receive cryptocurrency using your domain, you will use wallets that have integrated our software

How will I be able to view a .zil website?

You will need to use a browser extension initially. We are working to integrate browsers natively
legendary
Activity: 2688
Merit: 2444
https://JetCash.com
April 18, 2019, 06:03:49 AM
I'm assuming it isn't a wallet, but it is just an URL shortener. If I get the chsance, I'll do a bit more research.  I'm a bit cautious about preregistering domain names for new TLDs. In the past, some of the registries have taken the fee, and then put the name up for auction, or sold to a higher offer. $10 seemed worth the risk though, as it could be a useful service.
legendary
Activity: 3500
Merit: 6205
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
April 17, 2019, 12:34:29 PM
1. Nothing stops the owner of the "name service" that does the mapping from the domain/URL to an address from starting to map to his own addresses, so somebody may end up paying towards a wrong address.

They maintain that this cannot happen, as the address is registered on a permanent blockchain.

It's the first time I hear about this Zilliqa. Hopefully they'll have indeed a proper decentralized blockchain.
So blockchain sounds good. Maybe they'll do it right. Let's hope so.

I still don't believe that the wallet matters.

Well, something has to "understand" and "convert" TryNinja.zil into 1NinjabXd5znM5zgTcmxDVzH4w3nbaY16L when building up the transaction.
I'd assume that'd be the wallet...
I'll try some transactions when/if I get confirmation of the domain registration.

Although one review may not be enough, it is a start. So yes, please let us know how it goes.
legendary
April 17, 2019, 10:07:02 AM

1. Nothing stops the owner of the "name service" that does the mapping from the domain/URL to an address from starting to map to his own addresses, so somebody may end up paying towards a wrong address.

They maintain that this cannot happen, as the address is registered on a permanent blockchain. I still don't believe that the wallet matters. Surely if you send a transaction to an address, then the wallet is not relevant. I guess it comes down to the creation of the address. If they insist that you have to use an address of their creation, then the transaction is insecure, and should be used with caution.

I'll try some transactions when/if I get confirmation of the domain registration.
legendary
Activity: 3500
Merit: 6205
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
April 17, 2019, 09:50:15 AM
and the other was to link domain names to crypto addresses

This kind of service is not new, there was at least one in the past (btcaddr.es). Well, it was not a full domain, it was an URL you could chose under a domain, still, not bad.
The problems are:
2. Because of [1] the service may not really be considered reliable and I would not expect too many wallets implement it.
legendary
April 17, 2019, 07:06:07 AM
I guess I need to do some serious reading. I made some assumptions, and didn't check that they were true. I deal in domain names on the side, so I need to know what is going on here, just in case it does take off. I'll throw up a question on a domainers board, and I'll report back with some of the opinions.
legendary
April 17, 2019, 06:58:47 AM
I'm assuming that it is just the payment address that is associated with the domain. If this is so, then the wallet used should not be relevant.
What I understood from reading their FAQ is that you register a domain (e.g TryNinja.zil) and associate an address with it.

TryNinja.zil -> 1NinjabXd5znM5zgTcmxDVzH4w3nbaY16L

Whenever someone uses a wallet that supports the Unstoppable Domains protocol, they can simply put "TryNinja.zil" and it will send their coins to the 1NinjabXd... address (just like a DNS links a domain to IP addresses). Obviously, it's better to say "Send X BTC to TryNinja.zil" than "Send X BTC to 1NinjabXd...";

But if I put "TryNinja.zil" in a wallet that doesn't support it (e.g Electrum), it won't know that TryNinja.zil = 1NinjbXd... and it will give an error. Isn't this the whole idea of those domains?
legendary
April 17, 2019, 06:54:21 AM
I'm assuming that it is just the payment address that is associated with the domain. If this is so, then the wallet used should not be relevant.
legendary
April 17, 2019, 06:50:03 AM
I'm curious about this part of their FAQ:

How do payments work with my .zil?

Add your bitcoin, Ethereum, and Zilliqa addresses to your .zil domain inside of the ‘my domains’ section @ unstoppabledomains.com. When someone types yourname.zil into a wallet, the wallet looks up that domain on the blockchain, finds the appropriate address, and sends

Do you think any major wallet will support this? (e.g Electrum, Core (unlikely IMO), Mycelium, etc...)
legendary
April 17, 2019, 06:33:02 AM
Well somebody has implemented a couple of suggestions I made a few years ago. One was to put domain name registrations on the blockchain, and the other was to link domain names to crypto addresses. The new service is called "Unstoppable domains", and you can read about the service by typing the name followed by .com into your address bar.

I've just reserved JetCash.zil for $10, and there is a $5 renewal fee. I was going to pre-order Kuffy, but they wanted to put that to auction, so I thought I would just have the fixed price " Jet Cash" name. Once the domain is live, then I can receive payments into any active crypto wallet that I associate with the name. The service will sort out which crypto-currency has been sent.

I don't know if this is a reputable service, or if it will ever be implemented, but it looked to me as if it is genuine. You will need to make your own assessment, but I thought it was worth a $10 punt just to see how the service works.
Pages:
Jump to: