Pages:
Author

Topic: Upcoming economic crisis - crypto safe haven like gold or not? - page 3. (Read 1327 times)

Activity: 2702
Merit: 704
Bitcoin is GOD

There are enough signs that an economic crisis is going to happen soon in the next 3 - 5 years.

Whether China's bubble will burst or the dollar will implode.
Do you guys think crypto will be as good an investment as gold in time of crisis?
I really think that bitcoin will be one of the best places to have your money in the case of an economic crisis all over the world, we have already seen several local cases in which a country faced economic difficulties and people turned to bitcoin, people forget that the last time there was a crisis as big as the one that is coming the US confiscated the gold of their people and then made it illegal to hold it, I think the next crisis is going to be even worse and governments may seize Gold by force and in that case bitcoin will be the perfect form of money because no matter what governments do bitcoin cannot be confiscated that easily.
Activity: 1360
Merit: 506

There are enough signs that an economic crisis is going to happen soon in the next 3 - 5 years.

Do you guys think crypto will be as good an investment as gold in time of crisis?
We have already seen economic crisis before and gold found to be a safe haven at such times.But after cryptos got introduced,we have never encountered such crisis and so we could not decide anything clearly.But I think that due to their instinct nature,people would once again choose gold to face such critical situations.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
And why such confidence that there will be a crisis.  These are just guesses.

Just google or type in youtube "dollar collapse" or "china bubble crash", enough reports will pop up and from very legit sources.
These are opportunities for traders or investors, if you can anticipate it.
Activity: 1526
Merit: 596
I think that since bitcoin is indeed independent of all central banks and entities that are controlling the fiat's monetary policies, it is pretty much guaranteed that if a financial crisis strikes the fiat sector, bitcoin will be able to serve as a relatively safe store of value.

But it does depend on the level of adoption at the time of the economic crisis, and also what type of crisis strikes.

If we see a collapse in the value of the fiat currencies around the world, then definitely, bitcoin would not only hold its value, but may actually see a surge of adoption because the markets demand an alternative to fiat. To me, bitcoin is probably more feasible as a long term store of value and a safe haven during economic crises than even gold itself, due to its obviously advantages in terms of convenience, divisibility, and global nature, while retaining the same decentralized nature.
legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1335
Don't let others control your BTC -> self custody

All signs are saying that it will be. For instance look at the S&P 500. It's at all time high right now. It looks just like BTC was in January 2018 forming a double top after a sharp increase. It's going to crash, especially that the US markets are outperforming the rest of the world. Are these companies really doing that great? I'd say they aren't but you may have a different opinion, just remember to back it up with examples.
Activity: 868
Merit: 259
The economic development of the United States is very healthy, the dollar is hard to collapse, and the trade war between China and the United States may lead to the collapse of China's economy!
The high volatility of cryptocurrencies also has the potential for bubbles, and only gold and silver have real storage value!

I don't know what your sources are, but America is not doing that well. There are some short term economic patch ups done, but China owns 1/3 of America's foreign debt. Which means China has the power to influence the dollar at will. Peter Schiff was one of the few who predicted the crisis in 2008 and says there will be another 1 in the next 3 years. I'll say that America is gonna look for another war to cover up the upcoming crisis, but that's just me speculating

China has the power to manipulate the dollar but it wont. They are not willing to go to war with the nation that has the greatest military might in the world. Its more prosperous to cooperate in peace and through negotiations lol.

The trade war will be to the advantage of the Americans and we will see that in 10 years.
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1293
There is trouble abrewing
cryptocurrency in  general can turn into a Tulip mania bubble thing because in case of an economic crisis there will be a rush to buy them and since there is a lot of them (practically an unlimited number of altcoins) they will be in real big bubbles which will burst and damage the whole economy in general too! and it can even make things worse.

on the other hand things such as Gold and Bitcoin will shine in this situation because of their scarcity and security. specifically bitcoin because you won't have to rely on anyone for holding the gold you buy and storing bitcoin is easier and safer than storing gold! people would choose the easier and safer option meaning bitcoin and it can turn into their haven which has happened to some extent in the past too.
Activity: 100
Activity: 228
Merit: 10
Yes, maybe the economic crisis will come soon. I think the Chinese economic bubble and the collapse of the dollar will be at the same time. But my view is pessimistic, that is, when the economic crisis, digital money may not become a safe haven, and may collapse with the escape of money.
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 1165
www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

It is because bitcoin is facing a valuation against dollar and not with it. For example when bitcoin falls down in price altcoins follow, thats correlation. However bitcoin is going against the dollar and not with it. So when dollar goes down that means bitcoin will go up because you bet against each other. That is why most people are bullish on gold and bitcoin, same idea.

If you invest in bitcoin for a long term in the end even if your purchasing power doesn't get better, the amount of dollar you get rises because when dollar gets devalued, bitcoin gets more valuable against it, so in 10 years bitcoin will most definitely be higher than this price however it is important to know how higher, will it affect our purchasing power or not.
It sure seems like it's coming. As to your question, that's really tough to say, isn't it? Given their decentralized nature, yet all the hacks and general instability. Another question may be, would the government try to impose a mandatory state cryptocurrency, or something else, which everyone must use? Scary times, some might even say Mark of the Beast type stuff.

As to cryptocurrencies: if Bitcoin, for example, were distributed widely enough, and was adopted enough as a payment option... and the web was still up and running, it might become a good alternative currency to use. If/when that day comes, it will probably not be the time for masses of people to HODL hoards of BTC, as you'd want more coins circulating in the economy.

Actually, one of the companies we've been doing some work for was offering blockchain-based tokens pegged to the gold spot price, tokenized assets may be something interesting to take a look at for this discussion.

Thanks for posting the question,
The Cyberius team.

Appreciate your point of views. I really do wonder whether ppl will flock to digital assets.
I mean this is going to be the first crisis, where crypto is going to be an option.
Maybe the utilization of crypto as a currency will be really tested.
Who knows ... "The Big Short" was an awesome movie ... i wonder how such a movie will be in an era where crypto/bitcoin is available
Activity: 980
Merit: 507

As much as I would love for the dollar to implode, I wouldn't want for it to happen. The whole world will collapse and fall to misery. China's bubble is already on the verge to burst, its in the middle of a trade war. Crypto is not an investment. People think that, but its not. For me, at least bitcoin isn't. I use it as a currency and I proudly do so. But most people might actually resort to crypto as an investment. I watched Mr.Robot, and when everything failed and the entire banking system and credit/debit cards went down, people were hunting for crypto and hard cash. So you never know.
legendary
Activity: 3542
Merit: 1352
Cashback 15%
It could be, it could be not. People would likely cling to gold if in case another crisis happens or look for another asset class in which they could stash their properties in. Bitcoin is a legitimate candidate for such a position but the question is whether volatility is still great by then. If it is, people wouldn't try to stash their life savings in bitcoin and will just move to gold. If it isn't, bitcoin and cryptocurrencies would be the strongest currency/asset class existing during the crisis until everything pans out. For now, going long in bitcoin with whatever spare cash one can shell out is a good thing, that's for sure.
Activity: 3094
Merit: 929

I think it`s a win-win situation for the crypto community and the world economy.Every econocial crysis  is way to clean the economy from the bubbles and the businesses,that aren`t effective and profitable.
The crysis might cause unemployment and inflation,but the economy will grow stronger after everything moves on.Cryptocurrencies will be a safe heaven for sure.
Activity: 21
Merit: 1
You can't call a safe haven a market like the crypto-market that is highly volatile and unpredictable. Safe means safe, what is safe to put your money in cryptos knowing that the market can crash at any moment? In December last year the BTC price was at $20k now at $8k, is it what you call safe?

Valid point taken. I guess what they mean to say is to store your assets in investment opportunities to survive or even thrive during the crisis. I believe that when shit hits the fan again, the dollar will go down again, will people flock to crypto. If the dollar goes down, does that mean the price of bitcoin will go up? if so, that seems a solid investment.

Gold is considered safe, but if the dollar is strong, it's better to stay out of it. The crash of BTC last december is just euphoria running out of steam and mass panic cash out.

That's a point that most people missed about BTC last December. It wasn't a crash, it was just the end of the first wave of massive euphoria that tripped it up. There's no saying that bitcoin is supposed to be worth this or worth that at this stage because it's still trying to find a ground for itself after such a huge movement.

The dollar has been way too high lately, people have been saying it's overvalued for the past year and a half. If I had any dollars right now they'd be in bitcoin or gold, because those are the ones that are quite low. But like mentioned above:

You have to have Fiat + Gold + Crypto + Food.  If you leave out one of these you may find yourself in dire straights as the collapse happens.  Crypto is a very key part of my strategy of surviving the economic collapse. 

Gotta have a bit of everything. So the dollar still has some value in terms of exchange. People will still be interested in it, even if there is a collapse. Or something more secure, like Francs
Activity: 630
Merit: 256
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
I dont think people will ever think about the crypto currencies when the time comes to safe guard your money during the crisis. I mean come on people cant even bear a stress of price drops within the crypto sphere and when it will be the time of economic crisis in the real world then they will never stand a chance to be here. They will think that if economic going down in the real world then their crypto's might get affected with it adversely and thus may not be good for the portfolio. That is it mate, this thought will keep most of the people away from the crypto.
Activity: 345
Merit: 10

Indeed, the world economy is getting worse as the two powers like the US and China are always at war. But I do not think Crypto will be a good investment. Because when the economy goes down, investors will fear and withdraw from this market to invest in real estate or gold. Since then the value of the altcoins will decrease significantly and it is not safe.
Activity: 129
Merit: 11
It sure seems like it's coming. As to your question, that's really tough to say, isn't it? Given their decentralized nature, yet all the hacks and general instability. Another question may be, would the government try to impose a mandatory state cryptocurrency, or something else, which everyone must use? Scary times, some might even say Mark of the Beast type stuff.

As to cryptocurrencies: if Bitcoin, for example, were distributed widely enough, and was adopted enough as a payment option... and the web was still up and running, it might become a good alternative currency to use. If/when that day comes, it will probably not be the time for masses of people to HODL hoards of BTC, as you'd want more coins circulating in the economy.

Actually, one of the companies we've been doing some work for was offering blockchain-based tokens pegged to the gold spot price, tokenized assets may be something interesting to take a look at for this discussion.

Thanks for posting the question,
The Cyberius team.
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1565
The first decentralized crypto betting platform

It think it is likely it will be before that. Probably next year. The S&P 500 is clearly in a bubble and in Europe the ECB is going to start taking off stimulus soon.

But going to the point, yes I’d say bitcoin, not crypto in general, will be a safe haven when  crisis come. Bitcoin appeared during the last crisis as an alternative to the current economic system and it has much better qualities of gold: imagine to have to travel with $1 million of gold, it is virtually impossible.

If we have a major crisis bitcoin will be a refuge.
The economic development of the United States is very healthy, the dollar is hard to collapse, and the trade war between China and the United States may lead to the collapse of China's economy!
The high volatility of cryptocurrencies also has the potential for bubbles, and only gold and silver have real storage value!

I don't know what your sources are, but America is not doing that well. There are some short term economic patch ups done, but China owns 1/3 of America's foreign debt. Which means China has the power to influence the dollar at will. Peter Schiff was one of the few who predicted the crisis in 2008 and says there will be another 1 in the next 3 years. I'll say that America is gonna look for another war to cover up the upcoming crisis, but that's just me speculating
Pages:
Jump to: