Pages:
Author

Topic: UPS recommendations for 2x APW3+ 1600w - page 2. (Read 2011 times)

legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 2667
Evil beware: We have waffles!
April 26, 2017, 07:28:16 PM
No I would not use them. If power is good and you have properly sized server PSU's then be happy.
Also see^^ about the meter. Nice.
Activity: 35
Merit: 0
April 26, 2017, 07:25:33 PM
Buying a UPS will add to the amount of money you need to spend on your mining equipment, and they only have a limited life, even if the power does not go out. With margins on mining being razor thin, it may not always make economic sense to invest in UPS's to use in conjunction with mining -- I would opine that you probably should not connect your miners to a UPS.

On the whole I have to agree.

Yes most of the UPS's you find will in 1-2 years start beeping about need battery replacement. Top-end ones like the Cyberpower Smart-App one I linked to do far better. My oldest is 3 years old and yes, reports a drop in life but the easily replaceable battery pack still has 90% capacity due to intelligent battery control. So, you get what you pay for.

agreed as well
however

i think it completely depends on the scenario, if sags are small enough and infrequent enough, accompanied with little to zero power outages per year, it seems like a UPS doesn't provide much benefit.
i will have to rig up a digital voltmeter (on the circuit the miners are planned to go on) with a timelapse camera or something to see exactly what kind of behavior i'm dealing with.. admittedly, power outages are very rare around here and so are 'dimmed lights'..
@NFW - if your home voltage didnt sag as much as it did, and was more similar to the stability of your workplace, would you still use 2x UPS for the S9s?
legendary
April 26, 2017, 07:13:53 PM
If you only care about voltage regulation - and don't care about taking about a 5-10% efficiency hit - then look at constant voltage transformers like those found here about 1/4 the way down the page https://www.mcmaster.com/#ac-to-ac-power-distribution-transformers/=17dcwa9

Yes, pricey but work very very well, are nearly bullet-proof and, are zero-maintenance. I know of some customers that have ones in use for decades. Again, look around online and ya might find better pricing. Weigh a lot so shipping probably not included...

edit:
edit: something like this to measure sag? i can look over throughout the day and then see how much voltage regulation i need with a UPS?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-LCD-Digital-Voltage-Volt-Meter-AC-110-300V-US-Style-Plug-110V-220V-/271102731277
Yes, that would be perfect.
Me likey Smiley
legendary
April 26, 2017, 07:04:45 PM
Buying a UPS will add to the amount of money you need to spend on your mining equipment, and they only have a limited life, even if the power does not go out. With margins on mining being razor thin, it may not always make economic sense to invest in UPS's to use in conjunction with mining -- I would opine that you probably should not connect your miners to a UPS.

On the whole I have to agree.

Yes most of the UPS's you find will in 1-2 years start beeping about needing battery replacement. Top-end ones made for use in critical ares such as data-centers and network racks like the Cyberpower Smart-App one I linked to do far better. My oldest is 3 years old and yes, reports a drop in life but the extremely heavy yet easily replaceable battery pack still has 90% capacity due to intelligent battery control. So, you get what you pay for.
copper member
Activity: 2926
Merit: 2348
April 26, 2017, 06:52:19 PM
April 26, 2017, 06:51:32 PM
thanks! thanks!!
legendary
April 26, 2017, 06:49:59 PM
For one, get a digital voltmeter. Even a cheap one from a hardware store or whatever will be fine. From measuring the AC line to what voltage a PSU is providing, a meter is a must have.

As for recording sag not sure. I used to just check the AC line during very hot days. Now just consult what the UPS's report Wink

also, what do you consider 'excellent power service', a variance of what %/sag?
Excellent is never dropping more than 5% below nominal. The line going high is rarely an issue for most equipment.

We are in an industrial park at work and have 500KW 480v heavy power so it is pretty damn good. After step-down to 208v for areas that use it like the offices, without dropping a phase completely I think the lowest my monitoring gear there has even seen is 201v - about 1% drop. Also have 75KW backup generator there fed from the natural gas line to keep the front-office, heating/cooling and my miners alive.... Wink
April 26, 2017, 06:26:51 PM
thanks FW!  Cheesy

ya that appears to be slightly overkill for my situation lol, although an incredible unit..
i need to find a way to exactly measure the 'sag' in my home voltage before going any further, what is the easiest way?

also, what do you consider 'excellent power service', a variance of what %/sag?

greatly appreciate the info given in this thread and others!

edit: something like this to measure sag? i can look over throughout the day and then see how much voltage regulation i need with a UPS?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-LCD-Digital-Voltage-Volt-Meter-AC-110-300V-US-Style-Plug-110V-220V-/271102731277
legendary
April 26, 2017, 05:59:37 PM
First of all, be aware that most UPS's are what is known as 'off-line' types. What that means is that when your power drops below the trip point the is several ms of time before the UPS kicks in. If the UPS has voltage control, that too is relay switched and will have the same transfer time.

Check what that transfer time is! Since most PSU's will hold up and continue to provide DC for 10ms (at-best) the transfer time MUST be less than that. Even then the miners still might not like it. Mine first ones even back in s1 days didn't Sad

What I use are called 'on-line' UPS's from Cyberpower, specifically these https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/product/ups/ol3000rtxl2uhv/
On-line UPS's are well, always on. They continualy take the AC line, change it to DC voltage close to what the battery pack provides, and then use that DC to power the output stage all the time. The output is a near-perfect AC sinusoidal waveform and on-the fly adjusted to whatever voltage you set it to.

Even better, if ran at 1/2 load it will still provide perfect power even down to 50% AC nominal in without going to battery.

I have 2 for the 2x s9's in my basement and love 'em. Pricey but you can find better pricing if you search online.

edit: also must add those are ONLY at my home where voltage will occasionally sag from the normal 230ish VAC to as low as 180VAC during summer. My main farm (32kw) is at work with excellent power service so only 1 UPS there and that powers just the network equipment.
April 26, 2017, 05:50:58 PM
thanks!
so is it still the same 75-80% load rule ~1600/.8=2000w per?
also are there specific APC units that boast better filtration vs failover support time?
some of them don't appear to mention current filtration..
April 26, 2017, 05:38:40 PM
Hi All - I have an Avalon A741, T9, and 2x APW3+ 1600w on the way. i'm looking for ~5 min of failover support (enough time to rush over and turn them off normally) and some decent current filtration, even though the brownouts are infrequent and slight, i'm going for longevity. Is it better to have 1x UPS for each or OK to have one big UPS for both? I think i'd rather go with something like APC instead of the cheaper appearing brands?

Thanks!
Pages:
Jump to: