Pages:
Author

Topic: US inflation jumped 7% in December as prices rise at rates unseen in decades - page 3. (Read 357 times)

Activity: 868
Merit: 1094
I believe bitcoin was designed for this situation. Lets see how will it react.
That is what bitcoin is for, it will be good to hold bitcoin than keeping fiat. You are specifically talking about US but there are fiat that are far worse than US dollar, more inflation in such countries. The worst investment I have seen is the people that are convinced by banks to hold fiat in fixed deposit for years, the people may not know that their money will not have value like people, the value lost will be more more than the interests they will be paid.
legendary
Activity: 2828
Merit: 6108
Blackjack.fun
A surprising thing for me is how during 1929 great depression dollar became very strong, this is strange because generally more money is printed during depressions to create demand in economy and despite that dollar strengthen, can anyone explain this?

In short, there was no money printing during the Great Depression, which combined with people and businesses defaulting on loans and banks having a desperate need for cash, in their liquidation spree the prices simply couldn't keep up, lowering the value of assets and making with each step the dollar stronger. But as you can see, one good indicator doesn't mean everything is good, just as a full tank won't get you anywhere if you have an engine failure.

The moral of the story, be careful what you wish for  Grin

If you had invested in 1965 $100 into SP500, you would have now $28,159.36, which is 28,059.36%, or 10.40% per year.
This huge! SP500 performance is amazing.

But, but ...but...everyone is saying you're going to lose money investing in the markets.
Of course, there is a difference between what poeple say and reality, just like you pointed out in the last line.

Activity: 2100
Merit: 618
US inflation jumped 7% in December as prices rise at rates unseen in decades

The price of goods and services in the US continue to rise at rates unseen in decades, jumping 7% in December compared to the same month last year – the seventh consecutive month in which inflation has topped 5%.

The news represents a blow to the Biden administration and the Federal Reserve, which until recently have characterized soaring prices as a “transitory” phenomenon brought about by supply chain issues triggered by the pandemic.

On Wednesday, the labor department said the consumer price index (CPI) – which measures what consumers pay for a wide range of goods – rose 0.5% last month compared with November and 7% compared with December 2020.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/jan/12/us-inflation-rate-december-2021

United States is losing control over inflation. 7% is something similar to Brazil inflation, which was 10% last year. That is terrible.

I saw this chart today, showing how much purchasing power USD lost since 1912:

source: https://www.instagram.com/p/CYohEjmLE6q/ (Made by a Brazilian economist)

100 USD would have the same purchasing power as 3,53 USD did in 1912.

Central banks money printing strategy, public spending all those strategies are costing a lot to us, individuals. Our savings are shrinking due to high inflation all over the world.

7% is really way too much for any developed economy, it's dangerous because GDPs won't be rising at the same rate which means the expenses are rising but the incomes of the people are not rising creating problem for common people. A surprising thing for me is how during 1929 great depression dollar became very strong, this is strange because generally more money is printed during depressions to create demand in economy and despite that dollar strengthen, can anyone explain this?
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 6006
bitcoindata.science
Or it would be nice to see how much would that 100$ be if you would have put them in a bank, it might not be 4.3 billion like in Futurama but I bet it's not 100$ either.

I have a similar information Smiley

If you had invested in 1965 $100 into SP500, you would have now $28,159.36, which is 28,059.36%, or 10.40% per year.

This huge! SP500 performance is amazing.

source: https://www.officialdata.org/us/stocks/s-p-500/1965

I do own some SP500 index funds, which are amazing despite of everyone saying it is a bubble.

The best defining of bubble is: 'Any asset that the price has skyrocketed but you haven't bought"  Grin
legendary
Activity: 2828
Merit: 6108
Blackjack.fun

When 85% of the population was making less than 15$ per week  Grin.
Or it would be nice to see how much would that 100$ be if you would have put them in a bank, it might not be 4.3 billion like in Futurama but I bet it's not 100$ either.

Considering US they are not just facing this problem alone:
1. They have huge debts
2. The cases of COVID-19 are rising drastically
3. People are leaving their jobs because of bad conditions at the workplace
4. Economy is slowly going into recession
5. Price of dollar is getting weaker
6. Government is printing excessive amount of money and funding weird projects
What I do think is, all this with inflation as well would cause extreme probelms for the whole economy ending up with them not being at the top.

1. Mostly to themselves
2. So do cases everywhere
3. Yet the overall number of poeple employed is climbing
4. What?Huh?
5. In regards to what? Euro? Yen? Pounds?
6. Yeah, that is the only actual issue.

As someone who has seen over 100% inflation, 7% yoy is nothing.
Wait till it hits again at least twice the value yoy for anything major to happen.

Activity: 1862
Merit: 830
Inflation rates beyond 2-3% are not only harmful for the economy but for the people as well. Considering US they are not just facing this problem alone:
1. They have huge debts
2. The cases of COVID-19 are rising drastically
3. People are leaving their jobs because of bad conditions at the workplace
4. Economy is slowly going into recession
5. Price of dollar is getting weaker
6. Government is printing excessive amount of money and funding weird projects
What I do think is, all this with inflation as well would cause extreme probelms for the whole economy ending up with them not being at the top.
legendary
Activity: 2744
Merit: 1512
I've noticed the shift from anger towards government adding to inflation by reckless spending and supply chain issues move to the corporations. As if the corporations are responsible for supply chain issues, that they are merely raising the price for their own corporate greed and not because fiat currency is losing its value. Anything to keep people occupied -- can't hold the government responsible if the people don't know who's to blame for inflation. And with most things, demonize the capitalist system, the private businesses, in order to sell the idea that it is more government that can fix inflation. Meanwhile, they want to spend even more money in fighting Covid as well as a social spending spree to the tune of trillions.
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 6006
bitcoindata.science
US inflation jumped 7% in December as prices rise at rates unseen in decades

The price of goods and services in the US continue to rise at rates unseen in decades, jumping 7% in December compared to the same month last year – the seventh consecutive month in which inflation has topped 5%.

The news represents a blow to the Biden administration and the Federal Reserve, which until recently have characterized soaring prices as a “transitory” phenomenon brought about by supply chain issues triggered by the pandemic.

On Wednesday, the labor department said the consumer price index (CPI) – which measures what consumers pay for a wide range of goods – rose 0.5% last month compared with November and 7% compared with December 2020.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/jan/12/us-inflation-rate-december-2021

United States is losing control over inflation. 7% is something similar to Brazil inflation, which was 10% last year. That is terrible.

source: https://www.instagram.com/p/CYohEjmLE6q/ (Made by a Brazilian economist)

100 USD would have the same purchasing power as 3,53 USD did in 1912.

Central banks money printing strategy, public spending all those strategies are costing a lot to us, individuals. Our savings are shrinking due to high inflation all over the world.

Pages:
Jump to: