Pages:
Author

Topic: US Marshalls auction SilkRoad bitcoins - page 2. (Read 5216 times)

legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1018
July 06, 2014, 09:23:42 AM
Rumor said one person bid $900, is he the winner? I guess if he bid one lot at $900, all other @625, then the final price will be 625, am i right? We all expect some bullish move when the price released.

It seems very dangerous to bid @ 900; what you do is you bid @ the maximum you are interested or a bit higher

We bid $455 which at the time was 81% of market value.  Not accepted of course.  Rumor has it winning bid(s) was at spot or maybe even above spot.

There was *one* winner: https://twitter.com/paulvigna/status/484074892946837504

Details to come soon, apparently.

All coins were moved in a single tx: https://blockchain.info/tx/9e95c3c3c96f57527cdc649550bf8e92892f7651f718d846033798aee333b0c3

Reading the weird messages from the dust transactions to the address is entertaining Grin

It is good the FBI coins are not sold on the market because it seems to find new buyers and to support the price, maybe it will even be the same if the 100,000+ bitcoins that the FBI still have are auctioned off
Activity: 616
Merit: 251
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
July 02, 2014, 03:09:54 AM

Here's my take Smiley

YouTube Video

Speculation is starting to arise regarding the identity of the sole winner of the 30,000 bitcoin auction that was held by the US Marshals Service. The objective of this auction was to liquidate the bitcoins which were seized from the Silk Road back in October 2013. Who is this mysterious investor that outbid everyone else for $19 million worth of bitcoins?

The mere fact that one bidder, out of 42 others who put down a deposit of $200,000, won the entire auction has important ramifications on what’s to come. These bidders who have indicated a clear interest in buying bitcoin in large volumes will now be left to satisfy their demand on the open market. This could lead to a continuation of the uptrend that was started on Monday. However the question still remains: Who is this person that won all 30,000 bitcoins and what will they do with them next? According to the blockchain, the bitcoins have already been transferred and the deal is complete.

... Continue Reading:
http://altcoinauthority.com/2014/07/who-won-the-usms-silk-road-bitcoin-auction/
mkc
Activity: 517
Merit: 501
July 02, 2014, 01:27:51 AM
Rumor said one person bid $900, is he the winner? I guess if he bid one lot at $900, all other @625, then the final price will be 625, am i right? We all expect some bullish move when the price released.
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
July 02, 2014, 01:10:31 AM
i'm guessing the winning bidder went over spot.. was probably around what it is right now at $650. a lot of people are paying attention to the whales to get a feel for the consensus of what they're willing to spend, and if it turns out to be $650, then bitcoin will jump to that price.
What makes you say this? I would say that the majority of bidders likely bid under the price as of when they submitted their bid. As of the time of the bid there was selling pressure on the market and any participant could have purchased coins at the market price
Activity: 434
July 01, 2014, 04:48:53 PM
i'm guessing the winning bidder went over spot.. was probably around what it is right now at $650. a lot of people are paying attention to the whales to get a feel for the consensus of what they're willing to spend, and if it turns out to be $650, then bitcoin will jump to that price.
Activity: 109
Merit: 10
July 01, 2014, 04:48:23 PM
We bid $455 which at the time was 81% of market value.  Not accepted of course.  Rumor has it winning bid(s) was at spot or maybe even above spot.

All coins were moved in a single tx: https://blockchain.info/tx/9e95c3c3c96f57527cdc649550bf8e92892f7651f718d846033798aee333b0c3
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1004
July 01, 2014, 04:45:24 PM

Activity: 994
July 01, 2014, 04:41:26 PM
Activity: 266
June 26, 2014, 09:44:30 PM
Wish I could get in on this action. 

Alas I don't have the minimum $200,000 to place a bid.   Cry

Second Market is accepting bids for aggregation:
https://bitco.wufoo.com/forms/participate-in-us-marshals-bitcoin-auction/

I cannot see how this matches the USM requirements of knowing and approving bidders.  If they are really bidding for a group and disguise that they will be lying to the government.  If the group is large and they honestly name the members and one is not eligible would not that invalidate the whole group?   

Not sure how SecondMarket does it but they did it.  In increments of $25k or $50k depending on various people you talk to.  I'm part of a group.  Bids were due today at noon.  We made our bid and find out Monday if it got accepted.  I'll reveal bid amount Monday after we know if it was accepted or rejected.
second market is making bids for the blocks. Their bids will be based on how their investors want to bid and second market will not have any direct control over the bid amount.

Previously second market was only selling bitcoin in blocks of $25k
Activity: 994
June 26, 2014, 05:08:20 PM

I cannot see how this matches the USM requirements of knowing and approving bidders.  If they are really bidding for a group and disguise that they will be lying to the government.  If the group is large and they honestly name the members and one is not eligible would not that invalidate the whole group?   

Not sure how SecondMarket does it but they did it.  In increments of $25k or $50k depending on various people you talk to.  I'm part of a group.  Bids were due today at noon.  We made our bid and find out Monday if it got accepted.  I'll reveal bid amount Monday after we know if it was accepted or rejected.
June 15, 2014, 10:39:58 PM
The flaw with a group buy is that everyone will be unrelated to eachother and many questions would need to be resolved in a very short period of time.
Indeed it seems complicated.  Each member will have to hand in upfront some fraction F of 200'000 dollars, and if the group wins the auction he MUST immediately wire in F times  3000 times X, where X is the price that the group bid at (which of course the member cannot be told in advance), so that the group can send the total to the USMS by wire -- all that in a very short time.

If one member fails to pay, or has the payment delayed the entire group loses the auction AND their deposits. 

So it seems that every member will have to send to the group leader, right from the beginning, a sum greater than F times 3000 times the maximum X that the group leader is allowed to bid.  But that maximum X cannot be much lower than the estimated market price at the date of closing, otherwise competitors (who can easily infiltrate a spy) will outbid the group.

In order for a group buy to be successful the funds would need to be pooled prior to submitting the group's bid.

There is realistically not enough time to coordinate a group buy. The winning bidder will likely receive somewhat of a discount, however I don't think it would be so massive that it would be the deal of a lifetime.
Activity: 910
Merit: 1003
June 15, 2014, 10:03:41 PM
The flaw with a group buy is that everyone will be unrelated to eachother and many questions would need to be resolved in a very short period of time.
Indeed it seems complicated.  Each member will have to hand in upfront some fraction F of 200'000 dollars, and if the group wins the auction he MUST immediately wire in F times  3000 times X, where X is the price that the group bid at (which of course the member cannot be told in advance), so that the group can send the total to the USMS by wire -- all that in a very short time.

If one member fails to pay, or has the payment delayed the entire group loses the auction AND their deposits. 

So it seems that every member will have to send to the group leader, right from the beginning, a sum greater than F times 3000 times the maximum X that the group leader is allowed to bid.  But that maximum X cannot be much lower than the estimated market price at the date of closing, otherwise competitors (who can easily infiltrate a spy) will outbid the group.
Activity: 484
Merit: 500
June 15, 2014, 09:51:57 PM
would be funny if the FBI dude comes on here complaining he got scammed and wished he used escrow :p

LOL! Imagine that to happen.
Knowing the feds, that actually could happen Cheesy

this could happen!
June 15, 2014, 09:37:36 PM
Anyone up for a group buy?
But how would the group decide on the bid price?

If it is a large informal group, it may include spies who will tell competitors what the group plans to offer, and they will bid 0.01$ higher.

The group would have to choose a trusted manager, who will decide the bid price without telling anyone in the group.  If he loses the auction because he bid too low, or people lose money in the end because he bid too high, would the group forgive him?

I'd be up for a group buy if we lowball an offer. 

legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1008
Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political
June 15, 2014, 08:54:04 PM

If it is a large informal group, it may include spies who will tell competitors what the group plans to offer, and they will bid 0.01$ higher.

The group would have to choose a trusted manager, who will decide the bid price without telling anyone in the group.  If he loses the auction because he bid too low, or people lose money in the end because he bid too high, would the group forgive him?

I'd be up for a group buy if we lowball an offer. 
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1004
June 15, 2014, 07:14:09 PM

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003
June 15, 2014, 05:47:39 PM

legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393
You lead and I'll watch you walk away.
June 15, 2014, 05:05:05 PM
Any ideas on WHO (or at least what TYPE) of buyer it will be?
Yes, people that can plop down a $200,000 deposit and follow it up with a one to two million dollar cash payment if they win the bidding.

Not me and, I don't know you but since you hang out here on this forum, probably not you.  

Those are the people that will buy them.

You can participate here:

Thanks
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1137
All paid signature campaigns should be banned.
June 15, 2014, 04:43:40 PM
Yes, people that can plop down a $200,000 deposit and follow it up with a one to two million dollar cash payment if they win the bidding.

Not me and, I don't know you but since you hang out here on this forum, probably not you.  

You can participate here:

legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393
You lead and I'll watch you walk away.
June 15, 2014, 04:19:26 PM

Pages:
Jump to: